“Sweet Vintage Motor Inn”
Review of Ocean Park Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Francisco
Ocean Park Motel
Ranked #113 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Las Cruces, New Mexico
“Sweet Vintage Motor Inn”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

My husband and I met a group of friends at the Ocean Park Motel and had a wonderful weekend in San Francisco. The motel is cozy and charming, well maintained and comfortable. It's also a visual delight and located only two blocks from the beach near the zoo and a short walk to Java Beach.

I highly recommend this vintage treat for anyone wanting comfort and cleanliness. Well run and maintained and absolutely adorable!

Room Tip: The commuter train runs by the front of the motel so if you need a quieter experience, you will want...
2 Thank demenshea

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
beijing, china
Reviewed October 17, 2013

First I'd like to say that this is definitely NOT the place to stay if you are expecting McHotel. It is not a chain hotel, and it clearly does not aspire to provide that kind of experience. The Ocean Park Motel is a labor of love, a "mom and pop" kind of place, and an increasingly rare slice of San Francisco past and present. My boyfriend and I landed in San Francisco and the Ocean Park Motel after a marathon of travel visiting family across the US -- originally we were only going to stay for 2 days before returning to Beijing, China. A lovely gentleman checked us in and recommended that we head up to Land's End and the Sutro Baths -- we took his advice, watched the sunset over Ocean Beach that first evening, and had our "what were we thinking?!" moment, and gleefully extended our stay in SF and the OPM another week. San Francisco is an absolutely fantastic city, and we were delighted to experience it together, and were happy to base ourselves out of the OPM. It is an expensive hotel city, where even a Holiday Inn can run you 200+ USD a night, and parking often is another 30-40 USD a day from there. Do stay at the OPM if you enjoy the beauty of having the ocean nearby, like the residential calm of the Sunset District, and either have a car (as we did) or like taking the MUNI (L Taraval is right there), and enjoy "as if you lived there" tourism. We loved walking to coffee and breakfast every day, loved driving along Great Highway to get gas, to Golden Gate Park on Sunday, and got into soaking up a bit of the history of the neighborhood and architecture (such as the Sutro Bath ruins, and the motel itself with its cozy art deco design and feel). Do NOT stay at the OPM if you need big rooms (although ours was plenty large for the two of us) or a business or chain hotel experience. DO talk to the desk about anything you think you will need -- I found them very friendly and helpful. We had a lovely time, and for this price bracket we will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Best to talk to the front desk and tell them whether you need a larger unit, or a quieter room. Mote...
5 Thank snoopylemans
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Checked in for a couple of nights to visit San Francisco, had a great couple of days, Didn't stay in our room very much, but had a couple of great nights sleep. Room is a little small, but comfortable and clean. Some one recommended a room to the back of the of the hotel on 2nd floor. Good recommendation, otherwise you would here the street traffic. A little distance from downtown or the Pier but otherwise a great place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Diane M
Kemah, TX
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We found this motel last year when searching for an alternative to our usual place in the Japanese district. Due to multiple events in the city, that motel tripled in price. Changing weekends wasn't an option because our reason for coming to SF was to attend Hardly Strictly Bluegrass. This is not a luxury hotel and isn't for everyone, but we love the location (blocks from the beach), the price (very reasonable), the owners/managers (friendly, helpful). This year, we didn't look for anything else, we booked OPM. There is on-site parking if you have a car, and public transportation is very convenient if you don't. The rooms and bathrooms are fairly small, but we aren't there to hang out at a motel. It is clean, comfortable, and we love the character of the motel and area. You can walk to several restaurants, the beach, and the zoo. We kept the windows open at night and fell asleep listening to the waves. And yes you hear the electric buses but they never kept us awake and if they had, we could have used the ear plugs that are provided in every room. I look forward to going back next year, if not sooner.

Room Tip: All rooms have small refrigerators, coffee makers and microwaves; some have a kitchenette. Since th...
2 Thank Dobbietoo
Tucson
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We enjoyed this place and it was clean and staff was great. But we chose to hang closer to the city and ended up in Marina District hotel which was just a little higher priced where we could walk to everything. We would rather walk than ride a bus everywhere but that is out personal preference.

1 Thank TucsonDaug
Saginaw, Michigan
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I took my son out to San Francisco for him to start his college life. Now I had never been there before and I would choose not to go back to that city... but if I have to I would definitely stay at the Ocean Park again. I don't know what other people are looking for but this place has the nostalgia of days gone by. It is adorable! I even asked the owner if they did monthly rates but to my disappointment they don't..I could actually live there. I was having issues with finding a room for my last 3 days in SF due to the boat race the conventions and all the other activities going on in SF and they accommodated me. If you are looking for a pool and and other top notch amenities this is NOT the place for you. The previous comment is so wrong...wrong for her/him. The towels were like new..the bedspreads were normal, the little kitchens were quaint supplied with dishes, pans, refrigerator that was not a 1'x 1' and a stove and a microwave. Awesome hot tub too! The rooms were clean. Please remember this motel was built in 1936..thats 67 years old. It is in pretty good condition for the age..Hell I know people at that age that are in worse condition. Yes there was the electric train..put me to sleep with no ear plugs needed. To me the rooms were accommodating for the persons staying. My first room had 2 Queens and a fireplace, a small dining room nice bath and kitchen. My second room since then I was by myself was smaller but there was plenty of room to move around. I would definitely call Mark and ask to make reservations again. My experience there was most awesome there.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank s t
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

This is a tough review for me to write. On the plus side, the motel is well maintained and is painted a cheerful ocean blue. They take great pride in being the oldest motel in SF. If you are on a budget and want to be near the ocean and the zoo, this may be an excellent choice for you. But...This hotel was selected for us as part of a travel group, and I never would have chosen to stay here. If you are used to hotels with modern amenities, you definitely should go elsewhere. The rooms are really small (barely enough room to walk around the double bed) and are furnished in what can kindly be referred to as retro, but flea market does come to mind. The towels are threadbare. The bedspreads may be older than me (and I am on the sunset side of middle age). They provide earplugs, and you will use them, as the hotel is right next to the noisy electric bus line. My stay here was bearable, but definitely a case of putting a square peg in a round hole. So please consider my comments with that in mind.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank PismoLulu
vicxsf, Owner at Ocean Park Motel, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Thank you for your heads-up to potential guests who would prefer large rooms and modern amenities. We had two groups this past week, and if you were part of the bicycle-touring group, then I agree that it must have been quite a squeeze for you to be booked into our small one-queen room. Perhaps it was because those rooms are on the ground floor. We have larger rooms with queen and twin, two queens, and even three queens that provide more space, and we will encourage group planners to consider these larger rooms in the future. I would say that the one-queen rooms are ideal for guests who choose and enjoy what they see as a cosy bedroom on a garden — and who have seen photos, read reviews, considered options, and decided that the Ocean Park is their preference in this area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Francisco
Alpine Inn & Suites
#2 of 6 in Daly City
El Camino Inn
#4 of 6 in Daly City
Mirage Inn & Suites
#153 of 228 in San Francisco
Rodeway Inn & Suites San Francis...
#158 of 228 in San Francisco
The Richmond
Geary Parkway Motel
Geary Parkway Motel
#112 of 228 in San Francisco

Been to Ocean Park Motel? Share your experiences!