“Bed Bugs”
Review of Moffatt House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Moffatt House
Ranked #31 of 72 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Stayed at Moffatt House in March of 2014. While the room appeared fairly clean upon initial inspection, we did see a bed bug as we packed to leave. The owners were unavailable during our stay - keys were left on the porch for us - and completely unhelpful. Had to track them down to check out, despite making it clear over the phone that we had to leave early in the morning. The house has potential but is in need of some improvements and cleaning. We did not have breakfast but after seeing the pastry plate uncovered in the dirty kitchen the night before, I would not have wanted to eat there.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank B G

Reviewed March 15, 2014

San Francisco is a city I have been wanting to explore for a while and I finally received the opportunity this year thanks to my sister pursuing an internship at the university. My mother and I needed a convenient and preferably, stair-free place to stay. The Moffatt house is in my sister's neighborhood and she connected me with the owner, Mrs. Moffatt. After calling and receiving information about what each room had to offer, I decided to book the downstairs unit for my mother and myself.

Upon arriving, we were able to leave our luggage in the foyer until we were able to check in around 2PM. Mrs. Moffatt provided a front door key if we needed to come back and access our items. The little neighborhood in the area is delightful and has several restaurants, shops, and convenience stores all within walking distance. There is also a bus line directly outside of the location which made it easy for us to explore the city without having to rent a car.

The apartment is really spacious and could easily sleep a family of 4-8 if two people slept in the living room area. The larger bedroom has a queen and twin bed in the corner, there was also a fold-up bed in the closet. The smaller room had another queen bed and was next to the kitchen. The bathroom was stocked with clean towels, soap and shampoo and the shower had excellent water pressure and a pleasant temperature. The living room had several current magazines, games, cards, and information on San Francisco, which made it a great location for the three of us to chat and plan out our day.

The kitchen had all items needed for cooking, or storing and heating up take-out. Each afternoon we had fresh pastries waiting for us on the kitchen table in addition to eggs, orange juice, bread and yogurt in the fridge. The apple turnover was delightful and a nice treat after walking 9 miles. Having a full kitchen made it convenient to wake up at our own pace, make breakfast, and proceed with exploring the city. By staying in the apartment, you do not take advantage of the home-cooked breakfasts the Moffatts provide to the upstairs rooms--so prepare to cook. If I have the opportunity to return to San Francisco with my husband and daughter, I'd like to try staying in one of the suites and enjoying the home-cooked breakfast--although the apartment is ideal for a family traveling together.

Being that the apartment is along the same line as a bus stop, it was noisy at night, but no different than times I have stayed in large cities such as New York City, Portland or San Diego (Gaslamp Quarter.) Most nights we were so exhausted after our adventures that we slept through the noise. I feel like we had complete privacy by staying in the apartment. During our 3 day stay, I never saw any of the other guests, or had direct contact with the owners or person who tidied up the apartment each day.

The apartment decor and bedding is a bit dated, but every room was clean and we did not need to go out of our way to find basic accommodations. It is truly well-stocked. There are older TVs in both bedrooms, but honestly, I never watch TV when traveling and instead spend my time exploring and neither of us turned ours on. The price and location are absolutely worth it if you do not mind well-loved furniture and bedding. Staying at the Moffatt House reminded me of staying with my aunt when I was a kid: cozy and comfortable. If you are driving or renting a car, there was a parking space available--I noticed how inconvenient it must be to drive in San Francisco with the traffic and costly/limited parking spaces.The Moffatt House provided a comfortable, convenient location for my mom and I to enjoy a visit with my sister. We were able to have maximum time with her and experience the real flavor of San Francisco.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Beebee M
Reviewed March 11, 2014

The Moffatt House is our refuge in San Francisco. An easy (if uphill) stroll to UCSF Medical Center but if you're not up to that, the bus stops right on the adjacent curb. Mrs. Moffatt has four different style accommodations to satisfy most needs and wallets. Her dining room is open for breakfast, coffee, a sweet roll, toast, coffee and juice. Great place to stay to be close to hospitalized family or friends.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lwagsr
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Nice, clean place. Not fancy, but the price is right. Right on the N line. Convenient to Golden gate park--great place to walk. This idiot form--"trip advisor"--requires more characters, so here they are.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank William N
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is my second review of The Moffatt House. I have enjoyed approximately 8 visits here where I have been quite comfortable in rooms A,B and C, typically staying inn either B or C. Room B has a wonderful corner seat and table that overlooks the street that I quite like while room C, a bit quieter hasa small sink. I have read the review of the noise which can not be discounted although on a personal note,I did not find it to be problematic. As mentioned, the Moffatt House is on an ambulance route . It is also on a major transportation line, so I was able to spend my days and evenings exploring the city at length. Later, I would spent time in one of the many fine restaurants in the (walking distance) Sunset neighborhood restaurants followed by checking my e-mails with the Moffatt house Wifi, so by the time I went to sleep, which typically was late, I slept quite soundly in their comfortable beds. The Moffatt House staff, without hesitation was uniformly kind and courteous. One of the greatest things about the Moffatt House is the location. As such, every morning I was out early to try the many different shops and bakeries on Irving St. I would rather have my coffee in the neighborhood, meeting people and their dogs, so my experience with the breakfasts at Moffatt House are limited. If there is a problem with walking in the neighborhood at night, I am quite surprised, as I met people at the many coffee houses that remained open until 1:30 am and even 2:00 a.m for one of the pastry shops that I sat in until closing time. I found that quite a few people were walking to and from the UCSF Med CTR at all hours, in front of the Moffatt house. At no time did I feel that my personal safety was in any way comprimised. A special bonus is that Golden Gate Park , especially the botanical gardens are walking distance. I bought a bus pass and it was quite simple to get downtown...or to North Beach, Union Square, China Town, The Marina, the Embarcadero, and just about any point of interest that I was interested in. If, in your travel plans, you enjoy time spent in your room watchng television, the Moffatt House does not have upgraded flat screen televisions. On the other hand, if you are interested an a very comfortable room, in an absolutely ideal location, then I regard the Moffatt House as a true gem. Yes, parking is a concern...although I find that to be true in all of San Francisco. Admittedly, downtown hotels do have parking, but at a substantial cost...and on top of that, consideration also has to be given for daily tips to the staff that park your vehicle. In addition, it can be quite a driving experience to get out of downtown San Francisco. It seems that driving in San Francisco has it's own unique charm and please note that unique is a polite description for convicted blind felons on crack, late for their weekly probation meetings, that can push a Prius at 85 mph through a crosswalk of third graders while reading the morning sports page, eating a blueberry muffin, shaving, and sipping an extra hot Starbucks, Grande Latte with low fat soy milk, without spilling a drop. In my opinion, the Moffatt House is a wonderful way to truly see San Francisco and to experience the wonderful people who call it their home. It is one thing to see the Golden Gate Bridge and the other popular attractions but if you want a little bit more...a little more of the flavor of the city, this is simply one of, if not the best locations in San Francisco as well as a really nice place. Ruth Moffatt and her staff continue to treat guests like family to ensure that their trip is comfortable, pleasant and safe.

Room Tip: I suggest discussing your individual needs with Ruth Moffatt when booking. My experiences have been...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank 1Palladiumartist
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed in family unit/apartment downstairs. Room edges & corners and under bed were filthy and they did not seem to have been vacuumed for quite some time.. Not good for asthmatics. Bedding worn. Lots of marks on the walls. Lots of street noise.

Owners were nice though and we had fresh pastries every day. . Upstairs much nicer looking.
Excellent location.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank E-townV
Reviewed December 21, 2012

I spent two nights at Moffatt House in November celebrating a friends birthday. There were 3 of us so we booked the two bedroom apartment. I found it absolutely delightful. The apartment, is just that, an apartment. Very clean and well stocked. For the price it can't be beat. You get the true feeling of "living in the city". You hear the street noises and the people walking above, but that's the city right?

The Moffatt house is very close to the Haight and Golden Gate Park but kind of a barge to North Beach or China town. The bus stop is conveniently located right outside the front door so you can get just about anywhere from there and although taxi's aren't zooming by at all times they are available in that neighborhood if you don't want to take the bus.

Mrs. Moffatt is a really nice lady and she leaves pastries (fresh) in the kitchen each morning. The fridge is also stocked with breakfast food to cook. The kitchen is very well appointed so if you like to cook, it's all good. We did have a slight problem with ants.

All in all we fell in love with the place. So much so that we're going back for New Years!

Room Tip: Apartment is on the street level/sidewalk so opening windows isn't a good idea.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends