“railroad school school, awesome stay, clean and can't wait for the nezt field tr”

HI San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf
Reviewed May 30, 2006

every year kathy risso has a fundraiser so she can have this trip to the bay area for her students. i heard how wonderful last year's trip was because my daughter was on it. this year i got to experence it. hostelling was something out of history alright and i am already making plans to come back...

• Stayed May 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Thousand Oaks, California
Reviewed April 7, 2006

I stayed here last year and had a great time. I took the bus from the train station and found it with the directions on the website. The location is great as it is on the walking path along the presidio and to fisherman's wharf (along the bay). You can wake up in the morning, have the free breakfast (muffins/waffles/juice,etc) and walk out the back door and onto the path right to the GG bridge. I walked to everything I wanted to see in the city from here in two days and used the bus only once to haul over to golden gate park and back. There are large lockers under the bed (bring a lock) and even fit my normal size suitcase in them (not just a backpack!). There is a social area with pay internet and a book swap. The women's bathroom downstairs was clean and the showers were private- i stayed in a 10-20bed dorm with no major problems other than noise (that's why it's cheap!)Everyone at the desk was polite and helpful. I would stay there again and as a single female, felt okay but cautious walking back at night from downtown (would be fine in a group).

• Stayed March 2005
1 Thank nomadkate
Canada
Reviewed January 14, 2006

I stayed at the HI-Fort Mason for about a week in February of 2003. Here are my thoughts:

WHAT I LIKED:
1) The location (on a tree-covered hill above the Bay) is superb! I had a view of the Golden Gate Bridge from my bunk and the kitchen has a great view of Alcatraz Island. It's an easy walk to Fisherman's Wharf and the cable car line from here, there is a wonderful park to chill out in, and grocery shopping is about a block away.
2) The hostel is a unique building, with a lot of early 20th-century character.
3) Facilities are good. There is a cafe on the main floor with a large assortment of coffee & snacks & a vegetarian curry & rice dish (the only dish)served every dinnertime. Breakfast is included & is a fun social experience in the cafe (with Tin Tin collages pasted onto every table). The laundry room & social areas were good.
4) I was on a room with 8 other beds. There were not more than 3 other people in the room with me and I found it quite peaceful. That's what happens if you're the one that snores the most loudly ;) The giant kitchen is superb and there are nice places to take your meal outdoors as well.
5) Out of all the other hostels that I have stayed in, I feel like the HI-Fort Mason offered the most when it came to social opportunities. I met a lot of great people there. There were a few families with small children and a lot of older people staying in the private rooms that were looking for apartments to rent in the Bay Area. They were cool to chat with and offered a lot of local wisdom, plus some exhilarating stories about earthquakes that they had experienced!
6) Service was great! One of the front desk people helped me fix my glasses in an emergency -- that was much appreciated. There was a great info booth where a local resident gave out helpful information for exploring the city. Lots of other services were advertised at the hostel, and I joined in on a free tour of the Mission District and took an adventure tour trip to Yosemite national Park, both of which I would have never heard about otherwise.
7) Security seemed to be a bit of a concern, and the desk staff were watchful of who was roaming around the hostel. One night, there was a disturbance in the hall caused by a drunk & violent female (guest?) who had to be removed by police. There were placed to luck up my stuff & store my luggage, and I definitely felt secure, however.
8) I opted for this hostel instead of HI-Union Square because of its strict policies on alcohol. The hostel was generally peaceful and there was no partying to speak of. A quieter option!

AREAS OF CONCERN:
1) Bathroom facilities are not very private and seemed a little grubby. I opted to use the shower facilities on the lower level because they were cleaner, quieter and offered more privacy. The men's showers on the main floor can be viewed from the very-public main hallway when the door is open. Yikes!
2) You will definitely need to be walking around a it to get where you are going from this hostel. I never found this to be an issue and, on the contrary, found the area to be quite peaceful because of it's more removed location.
3) They were renovating some of the bunk rooms while I was there, which I was glad to see, because some of the rooms were definitely on the shabby side -- although not unpleasantly.
4) It wasn't necessary to have a HI Card to stay at this hostel and, paying over $30 US even with my card, I didn't find this to be a great deal price-wise.

All in all, this was a great, quiet place to stay, so long as you are willing to compromise a little privacy and comfort.

• Stayed February 2003
14 Thank ChrisDaberer
Reviewed December 14, 2005

I was in town visiting my kid sister and rented a private room for two weeks. they wouldn't let her in the building and they gave me a lot of crap as I came and went. I think the management was changing, but all of the staff was in a terrible mood the whole time I was there. I even saw them snap at a cute old lady.

• Stayed June 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 28, 2005

Had another great experience at this hostel (my third time). The location is so wonderful and the staff make you feel at home and welcome. I don't think I'll ever stay anywhere else when I'm in S.F.

• Stayed August 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 15, 2005

Stayed at HI Fort Mason (Fisherman's Wharf) a couple of nights in early January 2005. The somewhat removed, but nice, location is good if you want to take walks in the bay area, otherwise, you have to take transit (or your own car) to get downtown or other parts of town. There is some limited free parking a five-minute walk away.

The hostel itself is clean, the staff are friendly and they have a resident cat. All bathrooms are shared, even if you have a private room. The beds are kind of squeaky and the heating pipes for the radiators make a very loud banging noise at 6.00 am when the heat comes on. But this hostel is in a better state of repair than the HI Union Square. And far quieter, except for the radiator pipes in the morning. Included breakfast is just a coffee, juice and bagel, but that's not too different than most hostels in Europe.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 19, 2004

I had a wonderful time at this hostel. The location blew me away better than most expensive hotels in the City. The cafe is charming. I found the staff to be well informed and friendly. They helped us several times with suggestions for inexpensive eats and directions. My girlfriend and I both felt very safe and comfortable. We will definitely use again

• Stayed January 2005