“someone wet the bed.”

HI San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf
Reviewed May 17, 2013

This hostel was a terrible experience for me and my friend.
over all cleanness was pretty bad. we entered our allocated room that smelt like musk. I made my bed (old plastic foam mattress) and went to lay down, i felt my back starting to get wet. jumped up and lifted to old mattress up to find some one had pee'd the bed the night before.i went and showed the girl at the counter and all she did was give me new sheets and said i could sleep in the top bunk. the next morning i asked for a refund- for the worst hostel stay i have ever had- and the man at the counter was so un helpful and didn't understand how unacceptable and unhygienic the situation was.

Will never stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank sm0phie

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We've visited SFO many times, but this trip decided to show our 13 yr old what dorm living will be like when she goes to college in a few yrs. This was absolutely the best experience for her! We had a private family room with the best view! You could see Alcatraz AND the Golden Gate bridge from our room. The hostel is located just a short walk from Ghiradelli Square and a grocery store is just down the hill from the hostel. Please note, this is NOT a 5 star hotel. It's more like being back in college living in a dorm which is exactly what we wanted and expected for our trip. If you didn't like shared showers and close quarters in college, don't book a room here. I heard a nasty complaint by someone who expected it to be the Hilton. The continental breakfast is fresh bagels, fruit and all the organic coffee you can drink til 11am. We utilized the shared commercial kitchen for preparing lunches/dinners and saved a ton of money that we used to tour Alcatraz, Golden Gate Park,The Exploratorium and to purchase MUNI passes to travel around the city. Just a fabulous trip and the staff was to be highly commended for their friendliness. Thanks for making this a great educational experience for my daughter and a wonderful family vacation for all of us!!!!

Room Tip: If you plan to sleep in, try to get a room away from the cafe or plan to bing earplugs. We got up v...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Sheri N
Reviewed April 8, 2013

There was a stunning view of the Golden Gate bridge out the window of my private room. It was quiet and lovely there. Although there were only bunk beds and a shared bathroom across the hall, it was a lovely stay! Facilities for washing clothes, an excellent, included breakfast, internet and computer capability, and a big fireplace in the large and comfortable common room. What's not to like at the price charged? It's also within easy walking distance of Ghiradelli Square and the cable car there and Fisherman's Wharf along a flower-lined path. I loved it and I was in my late 70's that year (2011). I'm sure there was partying going on at this hostel, but I didn't hear it and it was not a problem. Other guests were kind and cooperative, tending to their own affairs. BTW, this hostel has a fairly large library of useful SF guidebooks (for other places, too) discarded by their owners, I'd assume, when they didn't need or want to cart them around any more.

Room Tip: Get a private room if possible; even w/bunk beds, it's better for us old folks NOT to share a ro...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 7, 2013

The location inside Fort Mason is quite special, as it's a historic location sort of embedded in a park. We stayed in the 12-bed dorm which was OKish (some snorers as expected), though there was an inconvenient lack of wallplugs.
The bathroom amenities need an upgrade. But overall my impression was good, as it had a nice and peaceful ambiance. Not so much a party hostel, also an interestingly mixed clientele (older people seem comfortable staying there, too). Would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 11, 2013

A group of friends an I arrived at the hostel around 8pm to check in. We were all joking around and smiling until the guy behind the reception completely killed our mood. I've never, in ten years and over a hundred hostels stayed in, encountered somebody so rude. We asked where was good to go in the city, he mentioned an area and we said we might drive. His reply was 'good luck finding parking in the city'. I said 'I'm sure we'll find something, no worries', to which the other girl on reception replied extremely sarcastically 'oh well done, a bit of optimism...I like it. You should probably be a little bit realistic'. How lovely. After laughing a little more, the guy behind reception said 'if you carry on laughing I won't check you in and you can leave'. Wow. So, after paying $40 for an unclean hostel (the showers were disgusting) with rude staff we promptly headed out. Breakfast in the morning consisted of a cheap microwave waffle as the 'breakfast included' option and we then had to take our own sheets off and separate them into baskets before checking out. I wasn't very impressed. $40 is twice as expensive than the motel we stayed at the night before and we didn't have our mood killed by a rude boy who kept being distracted by 'hot girls' as we were trying to pass over our money. Would never recommend.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We didn't like this place. Yes, the location is great as you can walk to Fisherman's Wharf. We didn't use the kitchen so can't comment. Cafe where you got breakfast was good and they made a decent coffee. We just found the place had some weird people there. Not sure if they were long timers staying there but there was something odd. People up and about at all hours of the night. Strange. Thought it quite expensive for a hostel but you are paying for location.

Sorry, not a very helpful review.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Welsie
Reviewed March 4, 2013

This is in a really lovely spot about five minutes walk from Fisherman's Wharf. Staff are efficient and friendly, amenities are well above average. Great place to use as an economical base to explore San Francisco etc.
There is a Safeway nearby if you need it, also the Fort mason farmer's market, Sundays, is worth checking out for the food. Had an excellent German bratwurst hotdog there.

Travel tip: if you plan to use a prepaid credit card (hostels are cash, so need need card), don't try and buy one in the USA, as unless you are an American you cannot activate a US bought prepaid card, as they require a US social security number to activate. Being credit cardless was not a problem at for me during my 17 day trip to the US west coast, I used Amtrak rather than flew though as airlines tickets are best bought with a card.

Room Tip: Dorms are OK, bur sadly had a very stinky traveller in the bunk below me, but thankfully he was gon...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo