“Nice hotel, great price!”
Review of Carl Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Francisco
Carl Hotel
Ranked #164 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Gloucester, MA
“Nice hotel, great price!”
Reviewed June 10, 2006

We stayed at the Carl while we visited a friend just a short walk away. We had the largest room available but it was very reasonable at $115. We started out in a smaller room and asked to be moved. The staff was very accommodating and even moved our luggage to the new room while we were out. The room was spacious and clean and the refrigerator and microwave were very handy. The train was noisy but we got used to it. The location is terrific with shops and restaurants nearby and we (two women) felt completely comfortable walking around the neighborhood. I would definitely stay again, you can't beat the price for a nice, clean room in a big city.

• Stayed June 2006
6 Thank Laura D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Korean first
Central Valley, California
Reviewed December 10, 2005

My husband and I were in the city for his UCSF overnight stay; I wanted to be close, so I chose the Carl--the price was right and positive reviews convinced me. I was not disappointed--the room was clean and comfortable, the desk clerk was very polite, and I experienced no "itchy sheets". Yes, there was trolley noise--but compared to more central locations in SF, neighborhood noise was minimal, even for a Friday night.

We'll definitely consider the Carl for non-hospital trips--there are a couple of rooms available that would be more comfortable for two, according to the desk clerk. Street parking was easy, free, and close (no restriction from Friday through Sunday eve). All in all, a great experience.

• Stayed December 2005
12 Thank jbet
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 20, 2005

My wife and I stayed here during Memorial Day weekend. If you're looking for a cheap place to stay in a great location, this is it. The rates were very reasonable ($70 ish), rooms were a bit snug, but we didn't plan on spending much time there anyway so it didn't make difference. It's an older building with a bit of charm, but everything was clean and the rooms even included a mini fridge and microwave.

The location is right in the heart of the city in a cute and safe neighborhood. It's a couple blocks from GG park and Haight Ashbury. Plus the MUNI (subway) line goes right by the hotel, so you can get to anywhere in the city just by walking out the front door. Very convenient. The noise of the trains was not bad at all in my opinion. And we even slept with the windows open.

You won't find a better value.

• Stayed May 2004
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed May 31, 2005

I'm a 59 year old woman, I stayed here while visiting my sister at UCSF hospital. I have stayed at several places in the area including the Stanyan Park hotel and one private apartment in a home. My room was a very small 3rd floor walk-up. I paid $76 a night, which in San Francisco is almost unbelievable. My room was tiny, but very clean, bright and cheerful. The Muni runs right past the hotel and is very noisy, but I kept the windows shut and was gone until around 10 every night and up pretty early. It really did not bother me that much considering everything else - I would stay there again. The neighborhood is very nice, lots of good cheap restaurants and friendly people, the hotel staff were very polite. The tiny fridge and microwave were clean and working.

• Stayed May 2005
20 Thank southwestmom
united states
Reviewed May 23, 2005

The room we had faced out on the street, and the trolley sounded as though it was coming in our room every fifteen minutes. Luckily the trolley is suspended between 1am and 5am or I wouldn't have had even four hours of sleep!
The sheets made us itch and further inspection found little black things clinging to them. I placed towels underneath me as I slept.
There was mold in place I couldn't believe mold would grow, including inside
the faucet fixtures.
Thankfully, the people at the desk suggested the Stanyan Park Hotel down the street, which is about the same price with breakfast and tea and is quiet and clean!

• Stayed February 2005
15 Thank mrs.leacock

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 21, 2005

We booked 2 rooms there because it was close to UCSF Medical Center. Rooms were pretty small. Kind of snug for 2, but satisfactory for a single occupant. While the place appears old, it has been modernized and is in good repair and very clean. The desk people were kind, friendly and helpful. The Muni transit cars ran late into the night and they were noisy when the windows were open. Parking is iffy, which is to be expected in this area of the city. There are nice neighborhood restaurants and markets within walking distance. Locals were happy to visit with visitors.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed March 18, 2005

I booked my husband in for a night in MArch 2005, because he had to be in early at UCSF early the next day. He has family in the bay area, but figured he would get more rest this way. WRONG. The subway ran right under his room ( which wasnt great to start with)- but hey, its inexpensive, no frills and a great location. My advice ? Stay out of sfo city and commute if you can.

• Stayed March 2005, traveled on business