“Probably one of the noisiest hotels in SF”
Review of Carl Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Francisco
Carl Hotel
Ranked #168 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed June 24, 2013

It is located 20 feet from the train tracks, and the Muni train will keep you awake at night as it comes roaring. The rooms are incredibly outdated, even the nonsmoking rooms smell of smoke. It is very cheap and thus is a good value in SF, especially if you want to be close to UCSF.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Jessiby

Reviewed June 15, 2013

It's a great stay for my son and I when we went to UCSF Medical Center Parnasus, SFO for his medical appointment. CARL HOTEL is accessible for both the Muni train and bus, there's Wallgreen and small restaurants around the area. THE HOTEL STAFFare nice and accomodating.. We occupied a room with 2 full beds, with TV and a very good WIFI. I think this hotel offers the lowest price within the vicinity of the hospital.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank star4virgin
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I needed a place to sleep and take a shower while visiting my mom in the hospital. That's exactly what I got at the Carl. It was walking distance and clean. It's an old hotel but for the price can't be beat! The man at the front desk was very accommodating. He even brought me an extra pillow and had a blow dryer for me to use. There was a microwave and refrigerator in the room. I stayed on the first floor and the Muni does run right next to the hotel and is loud but I am not a light sleeper and was not affected by it at all. Twin size bed and a small table and chair make it just big enough for one. I would stay here again if needed.

• Stayed: March 2013
5  Thank momndadplus2
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We always have family stay at the Carl when they come to town. It is very reasonably priced and the staff is friendly and helpful. If you don't want to stay in the hectic downtown area, this is a great option, especially if you've got business on the West side of the city. The rooms are pretty small, and the convenience of being right on the N Muni line brings a bit of extra noise, but other than that it is a great spot.

Room Tip: If you're sensitive to noise, as the staff for a room as far from the Muni as possible.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank MacKenzie H
Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

This hotel will be your choice if you are hiddeng to the UCSF medical center . Either you are a patient or a visitor the location of this hotel is just excellent & very near to the hospital . The rooms are really clean but small with a microwave & small freg. The reception employee are really helpful in everything . The only disadvantage is the muni ( metro ) which passes near the hotel in Carl street . Safe to stay with your family .

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank msmq8
Reviewed November 6, 2012

My daughter and I were visiting my other daughter who has recently moved to San Francisco. The Carl Hotel is 1/2 block from where she is living! So we booked it! And we were so pleased!
The hotel is not plush, rather old European style... but clean and well cared for and we LOVED our stay! The convenience is amazing ! A couple of blocks to Golden Gate Park, to Haight Street and a MUNI line out your front door!! Easy access to downtown ! What more could you ask for!? Our room was comfortable, good mattresses, hot hot shower, all we needed and the price was right!!! We will stay at The Carl Hotel again!! If you haven't been to San Francisco, get ready to climb the hills!

Room Tip: We had a room on the front on the 2nd floor on Carl Street where the Muni goes by ( most rooms are...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Janis N
Reviewed September 5, 2012

The Carl hotel is just up the hill from the Haight and Golden Gate Park. It's two blocks to Cole and Carl; home to some great food, beer, wine, chai... name it. The rooms are clean, yet smallish - typical of SF, but indeed very cozy. Nothing fancy by any stretch, but if you are looking for a reasonably priced place to stay, this is certainly one of them.

Be aware though... It is right on Carl, so the N Judah runs right by it. Doesn't bother me, because I lived at 6th and Irving for a while and just got used to it. So, if you are a light sleeper, and not acclimated to train noise, this might not be your best pick.

I'm extremely happy here. Real foods is across the street, Crepes on Cole is 2 blocks and Yoga Tree is just down the hill. The bed is great, the space heater works beautifully (I get cold easily) and everyone who works here is super chill. I would recommend this place. It even has a little patio and garden that's smoker-friendly :-P

Room Tip: See if they have anything that doesn't front on Carl for more quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo