“GREAT STAY FOR MEDICAL REASON” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Carl Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Francisco
Carl Hotel
Ranked #171 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
RENO,NV
“GREAT STAY FOR MEDICAL REASON”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

It's a great stay for my son and I when we went to UCSF Medical Center Parnasus, SFO for his medical appointment. CARL HOTEL is accessible for both the Muni train and bus, there's Wallgreen and small restaurants around the area. THE HOTEL STAFFare nice and accomodating.. We occupied a room with 2 full beds, with TV and a very good WIFI. I think this hotel offers the lowest price within the vicinity of the hospital.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank star4virgin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
central california
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

I needed a place to sleep and take a shower while visiting my mom in the hospital. That's exactly what I got at the Carl. It was walking distance and clean. It's an old hotel but for the price can't be beat! The man at the front desk was very accommodating. He even brought me an extra pillow and had a blow dryer for me to use. There was a microwave and refrigerator in the room. I stayed on the first floor and the Muni does run right next to the hotel and is loud but I am not a light sleeper and was not affected by it at all. Twin size bed and a small table and chair make it just big enough for one. I would stay here again if needed.

• Stayed March 2013
4 Thank momndadplus2
San Francisco, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

We always have family stay at the Carl when they come to town. It is very reasonably priced and the staff is friendly and helpful. If you don't want to stay in the hectic downtown area, this is a great option, especially if you've got business on the West side of the city. The rooms are pretty small, and the convenience of being right on the N Muni line brings a bit of extra noise, but other than that it is a great spot.

Room Tip: If you're sensitive to noise, as the staff for a room as far from the Muni as possible.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank MacKenzie H
kuwait
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

This hotel will be your choice if you are hiddeng to the UCSF medical center . Either you are a patient or a visitor the location of this hotel is just excellent & very near to the hospital . The rooms are really clean but small with a microwave & small freg. The reception employee are really helpful in everything . The only disadvantage is the muni ( metro ) which passes near the hotel in Carl street . Safe to stay with your family .

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank msmq8
North Salem, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

My daughter and I were visiting my other daughter who has recently moved to San Francisco. The Carl Hotel is 1/2 block from where she is living! So we booked it! And we were so pleased!
The hotel is not plush, rather old European style... but clean and well cared for and we LOVED our stay! The convenience is amazing ! A couple of blocks to Golden Gate Park, to Haight Street and a MUNI line out your front door!! Easy access to downtown ! What more could you ask for!? Our room was comfortable, good mattresses, hot hot shower, all we needed and the price was right!!! We will stay at The Carl Hotel again!! If you haven't been to San Francisco, get ready to climb the hills!

Room Tip: We had a room on the front on the 2nd floor on Carl Street where the Muni goes by ( most rooms are...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Janis N
Kota Bharu, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

The Carl hotel is just up the hill from the Haight and Golden Gate Park. It's two blocks to Cole and Carl; home to some great food, beer, wine, chai... name it. The rooms are clean, yet smallish - typical of SF, but indeed very cozy. Nothing fancy by any stretch, but if you are looking for a reasonably priced place to stay, this is certainly one of them.

Be aware though... It is right on Carl, so the N Judah runs right by it. Doesn't bother me, because I lived at 6th and Irving for a while and just got used to it. So, if you are a light sleeper, and not acclimated to train noise, this might not be your best pick.

I'm extremely happy here. Real foods is across the street, Crepes on Cole is 2 blocks and Yoga Tree is just down the hill. The bed is great, the space heater works beautifully (I get cold easily) and everyone who works here is super chill. I would recommend this place. It even has a little patio and garden that's smoker-friendly :-P

Room Tip: See if they have anything that doesn't front on Carl for more quiet.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank ckapp
Long Island, New York, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2012

I needed a hotel in this part of San Francisco since my son just moved there, I was traveling by myself and safety is always a priority when I do so, there aren't many hotels in this part of the city and The Carl Hotel was one, I read reviews here and on Yelp and also asked my son to check it out for me. I have nothing but positive things to say, I found it to be in a nice clean neighborhood, yes the muni stops by and it is noisy but thats also a plus if you need to get around to other parts of SF, the noise didn't bother me and it doesn't run on the weekends so it was very quiet then, the bus still runs so if you need to get around you still have that convenience. The room was small, more like a European hotel but big enough for me. The bed was very comfortable and the room was clean. There is a small fridge and a microwave. There isn't a bathtub, but the shower always had hot water. I already booked this hotel for my next visit and will use this hotel as long as my son lives in this neighborhood. You are within walking distance of Golden Gate Park, which is fantastic, there are shops and coffee shops all close by I think The Carl Hotel is a fantastic value!!!

Room Tip: I asked for a room on one of the upper floors, that was advice I had read about when I was reviewin...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo