“Not recommendable”

Ranked #191 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Stuttgart
“Not recommendable”
Reviewed September 16, 2006

Stayed here for 4 nights during our trip to the US.

This was the worst motel on our 20 day trip.

Cons:
Loud, 24/7 traffic on Lombard street, bad isolation
Lots of drunk and loud kids around (weekend)
Smelly room
Worn and smelly towels
Overall a very rundown place
Forget the breakfast (dry donuts)

Pros:
Cheap
Free Parking
Relatively safe neighborhood
Lots of nightlife opportunities near

• Disliked — Smelly room
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank Eggi0711

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Polish first
San Diego, California
Reviewed September 6, 2006

My sisters just stayed at this hotel for 2 nights before they were flying back to Europe. I tried to call them 3 times and this is what happened:

1. As I asked to transfer me to their room the person at the front desk told me that they asked to call back after midnight which they did not as he never called their room(he put the phone down for about 10 seconds only).

2. I called again about 20 minutes later and the person said that there is no answer from the room(after he put the phone down again for about 5 seconds) , although I sent my sisters a text message to make sure they were there.As I told him that he hung up on me.

3. I called again the next day and the person at the front desk tells me: "I don't feel like connecting right now" and hangs up on me again.

I finally called them via cell phone to make sure they are ok and they confirmed whatever the other people wrote in reports before on this page. As expample, their shower head does not work at all and the room is pretty dirty.

It's not worth it to concider this hotel even if it is inexpensive. There are many other hotels or motels in SFO that offer much nicer rooms and service for not a lot more money.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
6 Thank Groupie83

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 4, 2006

This was one of the worst motel experiences I've had in my life. It all started with them trying to scam us into a King room. THey told us we had reserved smoking and the only non-smoking they had left were larger. We fell for it and paid the extra . Afterwards we checked our reservation and it was for non-smoking. They were clearly scamming us. Aside from that, the beds only come with two small pillows, making it uncomfortable to sit in bed and watch TV. It is located on a busy street and the walls offer zero insulation from the noise. There was an ironing board but no iron. And the toilet made a weird noise like a sick cow when you flush it. Motel 6 or Super 8 would have been better for the money.

• Stayed June 2006
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Orange, California
Reviewed June 24, 2006

This place was pretty bad, even for a budget traveler. I decided to stay here for one night after I decided to extend by trip by one night. The other place I was staying at was a little pricey for a Friday night and Surf offered $79. So I took it to save about $40. I should have just sucked it up and paid the extra money. The outside is okay, like any other motel you see, but the rooms are pretty small, bathroom is average size, and parking is free. First of all, to enter room you had to insert card, hold and lift door nob a certain way to open door because nob was broken, which I never did figure out, but luckily my girlfriend did, room had bad odor, shower had obvious fungus and shower nozel fell off. Bed was okay, when opening sheets, my girlfriend found a public hair, disgusting! Coffee maker was broken and room didn't even have cream and sugar if it did work. Continental breakfast is free, but don't bother, it is a box of old muffinfs in the office with someone sitting their watching what you take. No offense to this place, but don't wast your time and money, there are plenty of other choices in San Franicisco and especially on Lombard Street to choose from. I am all for saving some money, but c'mon, some places should just be left alone so they can be torn down, and this is one of those places.

• Stayed June 2006
9 Thank Angelfan
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed July 16, 2005

Our family of 2 adults and 2 teenage kids stayed 6 nights at the Surf. It had both good and bad features:
Good:
Inexpensive
Free parking
Queen size beds (very comfortable)
Clean room
Large bathroom with iron and board
Coffee maker in room
Adequate space, but not roomy
Next block contained many trendy international restaurants
OK neighborhood--although we didn't go out at night, there were no homeless hanging around and it seemed safe

Bad
NOISY--you are on the main street to the Golden Gate Bridge. Traffic is constant all night. Garbage pickup and street cleaners came at 5:30 am,
and there was construction across the street.
Continental Breakfast consisted of a box of muffins and donuts (nothing to drink and not even napkins)--served in the office
Towels were thin, stained, and frayed
Not walking distance to any tourist attractions
Front desk manager didn't understand English very well
Picture on websites is not the hotel!

If you can take the noise, and you are not there much, this place is a good bargain.

Stayed July 2005