“Needs help but location is great”
Review of Surf Motel

Surf Motel
Ranked #191 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Santa Barbara, California
“Needs help but location is great”
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

I was on a week long road trip through California and I had a two night stay in San Francisco. I price lined my hotel and I was given surf motel. I immediately got on and got really scared of the reviews.i stayed on a Tuesday and Wednesday night.

I was greeted when I got there by a very nice helpful girl and I was placed on the 3rd floor in a king bed room. I immediately went up to check for things wrong with the room. After my initial check for bed bugs and things wrong came up empty handed I brought my traveling partner and luggage up. The elevator is old. The building is quite old. The outside of the motel is upkept. The rooms although on the smaller side was fine for the price we paid. The bed was quite firm but it was bug free!

Things that could be better. The toilet we had to hold down the handle for about ten seconds to make sure it flushed. This was thoroughly annoying. The shower curtain should have been replaced as it was starting to grow mold. The towels also need to be replaced they are thin and threadbare. Bring your own towel. The outside door needs to have a better sound barrier. The traffic at one point sounded like I was sleeping on a street corner. The door to the elevator slams shut unless you make sure to close it quietly this echos into the motel. The wifi sucked. It was so slow it wasn't even worth getting on.

Pros about this hotel.. Location! It is close to multiple bus lines that take you to many destinations in the city. It is close to a shopping area in the marina district. It also has a Mel's diner and an ihop within walking distance :-)

I'm not sure I would reccomend this motel to others perhaps unless it had a bit of a renovation.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank sblibra86
Rocky P, Public Relations Manager at Surf Motel, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Thank you for reviewing your current stay at the Surf Motel. We are doing extensive renovations and expect your next stay to be completely different from the bad towels and noise. Our motel does have an excellent location and makes getting around to all the events wonderfully easy, so we are glad you were able to enjoy the transportation options. When you come to the Bay Area give us an opportunity to show you our new look.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Polish first
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I staied in room 211 and 212, there were people running around half naked fighting in front of the hotel. There were people drinking drinking and partying all night we call numerous time...no answer... we call Police and anything to try n slow them down! Nothing work!

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for your review on the Surf motel. We pride ourselves on clean comfortable rooms for your stay and that would include a quiet peaceful environment. We truly apologize for your noisy stay and we will be addressing the front desk not being able to calm the situation down and remove the party goers. It is our intention you enjoy your stay and come back to visit with us and hopefully you will give us another chance when you are in the Bay Area.

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I signed up to trip advisor purely to review this motel and warn others, as I wish we had known what it was like before we stayed!!
We are a laid back kiwi couple who have traveled the world and have never complained once.. this place deserves a complaint.
We had a fantastic holiday in San Fran, weather was amazing- nothing to taint our view of the motel.. it was just straight up misery.
The owners and receptionists were lovely and very helpful when we arrived.
Its got a fantastic location- right on Lombard Street with lots of good restaurants and shops around but these things don't make it worth it.
The street is so noisy, we stayed in a room close to the road the first night then one right at the back the next nights and both were just as bad- traffic went till about midnight then started at 4am (not sure why so early!!).
The free parking is great, but again does not make it worth it.
People say 'you get what you pay for' -this would apply if we had paid around $10-20 per night for this place.
The problem was the hygiene. The room was filthy. Someone wrote a previous review which I read before we booked saying 'make sure your immunisations are up to date'- but so often people write bad reviews because things like the weather was bad.. but they were right in this case. We don't expect the Hilton, but we expect clean and functional. In the bathroom the basin had a ring of mould where the white connects with the bench. Someone had blown snot over the inside of the shower curtain and it was all dried on and disgusting. There were ants throughout the bathroom, all around the shower head. I can just imagine what would have shown up if they put one of those special lights over the bed!
The bed is very, very hard- we didn't mind this too much but we did check to see if it was a base that they were using as a top. Our bed wasn't made during the day. The towels are like sandpaper and the size of a tissue.
We would have moved but it was during a big football game weekend and we had already paid, on the first night we thought we could handle 3. I would rather pull off my toenails than stay there again.
Please be warned!
... Positive note, IHOP next door.

Room Tip: Someone said rooms at the back away from the road are quieter.. we stayed by the road the first nigh...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank maungas101
Rocky P, Guest Relations Manager at Surf Motel, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at Surf motel. As you stated we are extremely well located to be able to enjoy all the venues around us and still be close when it is time to relax in your room. We certainly apologize about the "odor" you had in your room. When we have guest comments we take them very seriously and want you to know these issues you bring up will be immediately addressed. It is our priority to provide clean and comfortable rooms at a reasonable rate. Again please accept our apology for your inconvenience.
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed November 18, 2012

A common motel, for an average price, providing free parking facilities (which is far from systematic in San Francisco). My only complain is about the fact that we had to share the room ... with bed bugs.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ytreuq
California
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Within walking distance of our destination (Italian consulate). Generally safe area but can be a little noisy if your room is near the street but wasn't bad enough to keep us awake. Room was clean but smelt a little musty on our arrival. Smell was gone after returning from our walk to dinner at Mel's diner (loaded with Giants fans after the 2nd game of the series). One comfortable chair for reading and one at the desk. Accessible free parking if you're lucky enough to get a space. Bed a little hard but comfortable, huge bathroom. Their breakfast was packaged pastries and no coffee. I agree with others, the Home Plate diner across the street was great! Price is definitely a factor here, total was $130 AFTER taxes, etc. Check in was easy (booking.com) and front desk helpful. Overall great place for the $$$$$$$.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I was visiting SF alone in July 2012. It was a last minute decision and so I did not have much choice as most of the decent hotels were full or expensively priced. I selected Surf Motels as it was located at a convenient location with free parking. Overall I was not impressed, there is no way I would have stayed here if I was travelling with family. These motels on Lombard Street are called Motor Inns. The room was a single bed.
The Carpet was smelling and I was told to turn the AC on and open the windows to vent the odor. The blanket was old (the cheap mustard color type) and had some stains. The comforter was old, worn out and stains that were camoflauged by the print. The bathroom was old and just OK. The curtain was old and the rod was bent, these are items that are inexpensive and easily replaced. When I spoke to the front desk about the carpet, he said he would talk to the owner. To be frank I just felt dirty and made sure I did not walk bare foot at all times.
The only plus point was that the linen was clean, the towels were thinned out. They have some pastries at the front desk in the morning no breakfast. The in room coffee maker was not clean and I did not use it at all.
The location is convenient as there is an IHOP next door with some restaurants close by. There is a Bus stop close by and it is a couple of miles from Fishermans wharf and the Golden Gate .
They have some pastries at the front desk in the morning no breakfast
I did a few checks on motor inns on Lombard street and found out they were priced the same or slightly higher but had much better rooms and clean too. So check them out .

Room Tip: Check the Cow Hollow, Columbus, Chelsea, Coventry Motor Inns on Lombard street. They are owned by a...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo