“Youth Hostel Look”

Americas Best Value Inn & Suites-SOMA
Ranked #201 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Let's begin to say that San Francisco is a very, very expensive city when it comes to hotel rooms.....So whatever I paid for this hotel room, was a true bargain considering the crazy hotel prices in this city. The place looks nicer outside than it does inside. It has a very small lobby, and a true Youth Hostel feeling to it. It has no areas to sit around to socialize with other travelers, except an adjacent Bar that it seemed to be very popular in the evenings with the locals. It appeared that the Front Desk is run by friendly, but alas non professional desk clerks as far as local knowledge is considered. My room was pretty gloomy with a very small bathroom which had a tub/shower combination, with good water pressure. The room did have a small fridge and a microwave. The best thing about the room was the very strong WIFI signal provided free of charge. However, if you need to print anything from the Lobby's computer, you are out of luck because there is no printer connected to the Customer's computer. Also, the hotel is not rally centrally located, and it took me 15 fast walking minutes to get from the hotel room to the center of Market Street were the Cable Cars turn around is located. So if you do not like to walk or it would be too tiring for you....Then this would not be a good location for you. The area is a little on the seedy side but felt not danger of any kind.....It is full of bars and small restaurants and as I menitoned, quite a walk from the touristy points of interest.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the bar noise.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank carlocB9030VZ

Reviewed October 15, 2012

I was staying here on business and although I spent little time in my room it was clean comfortable and cheap (Great shower pressure!). The room has a full size fridge, microwave, sink and coffee machine (none that I utilised). Small convenience / off license open until midnight on the corner and a bar that appear to be very busy and noisy but could not hear a thing in the room. The area is just starting to become the "wrong area" but I walked back here a few times quite late and felt safe enough.

In conclusion I wouldn't want to spend hours in the room but clean and fine for a city break / business.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Caroline R
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I stayed here for 1 night. My room was comfortable and clean, especially considering the price. Bathroom was clean and nice. Reception and service lovely and relaxed. Breakfast was muffins, OJ and filter coffee.

I want to address the location:
I thought it was quite good. A good but short enough walk to Marker St.
I think caution should always be exercised in cities, especially at night or alone, so if you're used to that concept then you wont be put off by the location.

Bed bugs: I'm fine! Didn't get me!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank gembanana
Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

The hotel isn't in the greatest area but 'it's easy enough to get the train a few stops into the main areas. In the evening we just got a taxi to the station for about $5, I'm sure we'd have been fine to walk but due to the number of homeless people in the area the smell of urine put me off. The rooms were clean, comfortable and had free WiFi and a fridge so happy days. Car parking was $22 plus tax for valet and is well worth doing as extortionate everywhere else. Really helpful staff as well.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank lilyg1981
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We (2 adults, 3 kids) were looking for an inexpensive place to sleep in the city knowing that we would spend all day sightseeing. So we needed no further anemities, but a clean bed and shower. But even that isn't easy to find, if you have more than the standard 2 kids per family.

So we were happy that Americas Best Value Inn & Suites-SOMA in San Francisco offered us just what we needed. With an extra sleeping place all 5 of us fit even in 1 room and we explored all of San Francisco from the hotel on foot/bike/cable car.

The complimentary breakfast only consists of muffins, tea/coffee/orange juice, but there is a really nice restaurant (Roccos) around the corner, that offers all you could ask for when looking for a good American breakfast.

Even the bar next door to the hotel didn't bother us. Surprisingly the music you can still hear on the hotel corridor is inaudible once you're inside the room.

If you bring a car you need to either spend 20 USD on valet parking (to make sure it is definitely safe) or leave it on the street around the corner.

The hotel is neither stylish nor fancy in any other way, but an affordable, clean place in a good location.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank WanderingSpirit13
Reviewed July 20, 2012

This hotel has seen better days. There is no parking, you have to pay $22 per night for offsite valet parking. Some of the rooms are located over a nightclub/bar and are very noisy. There isn't a/c which isn't bad for San Francisco but coupled with the noise from the bar you really don't want to open the window and let in more noise. No screens on the windows either. All in all I would definitely not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Nevyntoo
Reviewed June 23, 2012

I stayed in this hotel when I visited San Francisco last week. The hotel itself was nice. The room was very comfortable and very clean. The bed was very comfortable! Staff was friendly and very accomodating. But, that is where it stops. The included continental breakfast consisted of terrible coffee, hard muffins, and thick juice. The lobby was dirty, chairs were stained, and dirty laundry was surrounding the only ice machine. Elevator was fine, but slow, and doors opened before it even arrived on the floor. Hotel corridors, at least ours on the 4th floor, smelled like marijuana the entire 4 days we were there. Hotel location is terrible (Folsom and 7th street). There are good restaurants nearby, but incredibly shady people walking around at all hours of the day. Very unsafe. We were accosted on more than one occasion, causing us to retreat back to the room for the rest of the day, too scared to leave. Definitely felt safe once in the room, but did not feel safe leaving. Marvin, the hotel manager, was very friendly and very accomodating. If the hotel was in another part of town, I would stay there again. I did feel that the price (about $100 a night) was a little ridiculous for the location and ameneties offered, but it is San Francisco. Just an FYI, no pool or restaurant on premise.

Room Tip: We didn't have any problems with noise. Corner rooms facing Folsom Street are suites and have a...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank MonkeyBoy03
Management response:Responded June 30, 2012

Dear MonkeyBoy03,

Thank you for choosing us for your travel needs. I am glad that you found your room very cleans with a very comfortable bed and that our staff was very friendly and helpful. I do apologize about our free breakfast. I make sure to inform our guest about what is being served for breakfast on all booking website. I apologize if that was not the case on your booking engine and I will ensure to contact that website. We do serve our breakfast in the lobby and I apologize if some guests do not pick up after themselves but rest assures that our lobby and common area do get cleaned daily. Our elevator has been recently inspected and approved for service but I will definitely schedule an additional inspection as your safety is one of our utmost concerns. Our hotel is 100% smoke free but in the rare occasion, some guest smoke in their room. We try our best to remove the smell and also post signs throughout the building reminding our guest of our “smoke free” policy. We do have a surveillance system that monitors our premises 24 hours a day. Our hotel is located in the heart of the San Francisco night clubs and hosts multiple entertainments. Please feel free to contact me next time you are in town and I would gladly offer you an additional 15% off your stay for being a preferred repeat customer.

Jimmy Duong