“Terrible!!!”

Union Square Backpacker's Hostel
Union Square Backpacker's Hostel
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Absolutely horrendous place!

Me and my friend landed here after a lot of travelling and were just looking somewhere to relax. 1 of the guys on the reception told us the place had been over booked but kept reassuring us we could stay as another guy told us he couldnt guarantee us a place. The only way I could describe these 2 employees was Dumb and Dumber

It was probably a blessing in disguise as the place looked to be horrible and dirty. Luckily we found another decent place, if not we would have had to pay a serious amount to book last minute accommodation elsewhere

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ratheenian

Reviewed October 27, 2013

I have been here 2 weeks ago and the hostel was horrible!! The staff is strange and the hostel itself stinks. If u planning to visit san Francisco u better book a hostel beforehand. If not, u will end up here. It seems that the staff doesnt care about all the negative reviews. Due the lack of hostels in san fran they are packed anyway.

Back to the review. As soon as I walked in, I allready regret my booking. allthough it was just for 1 night. The black guy at the frontdesk was unfriendly. A women asked for 2 towels and the guy just shouted to her that it was unpossible to get 2 towels. Frontdesk is open till 11pm but around 1am one of the staffmembers came in and seems to be drunk and took place at the frontdesk. I felt unconfortable and went to my room.

The room stinks, the matrass and pillow are dirty. The blanket is brown and stinks too. U get clean linnen and sheets from the frontdesk but u will smell the matrass and blanket anyway. I checked the brown matrass on bedwants but I didn't find them. As soon I was sleeping my body started itching everywhere.

I didn't took the breakfast. Dirty hostel = dirty breakfast,. Avoid this dump, just book beforehand your hostels in san francisco and u won't find any problems.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Har30
Reviewed October 20, 2013

like: Location is awesome. price is ok...

DISLIKE: The staff was terrible unfriendly. the hostel was freezing cold. the bathrooms super super dirty, breakfast is a joke and bedrooms a super tiny. better spend a bit more and go to the neighbour.
and on the price comes 2$ per person plus 15% tax. so it's a rip off.

Room Tip: don't book it here
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

Myself and a good friend of mine arrived back in San Fran after a few good nites in Vegas. Next day we were flying back 2 Ireland so we just needed 2 chill out and get sum last minute presents etc.

After arriving at the union square hostel, we soon realized we were in the wrong place for us!

Chaos is all that can be said for what we encountered. To cut a long story short, we waited for 40 mins watching the employee staring at a computer screen blankly only to be told they were over booked.

I was at the end of my tether at this stage but thank god going by the reviews I have read since. I would advise booking some of the many excellent budget accomodation well in advance, stay clear of this place if u have any sense!!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

Why cant i choose a score of 0?
Please dont stay here. One of the girls im travelling with got bed bug bites and the room stunk. We checked in on time and they had no linen ready for us and they moved people out of room in front of us so we could stay in there. The blankets werent washed, only the brown stained sheets. The pillows were also brown and stained. I nearly cried when i had to stay here. The kitchen was a hole in the wall piled with filthy dishes. There was free breakfast but i didnt eat it.
The staff were CREEPY. And there was holes in the walls. In the bathrooms there was supposed to be privacy blurred out glass but it had been replaced with regular clear glass. Staff were smoking outside and could see in. Gross. There was also some weird shack thing near our room where staff went to smoke weed. We had our windows open and all this weed smoke came in.
They said they had wireless but i could never connect.
Dont stay here. Try the hostelling international downtown or city center or fishermans warf, or a hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Stayed one night after a tour, stayed in hostels around the world & this is by far the worst I've ever seen! The mattresses are very old & stained brown, they look like they were thrown out onto the street & picked up by the hostel. Sheets are vile, luckily had sleeping bag & own pillow. Bathroom had a blocked toilet.
Would never ever go back there.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SalJackPops
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Terribly bad experience, the hostel was so durty that we prefered to used public bathrooms instead of the hostels facilities. We couldn't sleep at all because a bunch of drunk people were shouting all nigh and when we woke up the durty alley was covered with puke.
They charged us an extra and we end up paying like a regular hotel.
It was a nightmare.