“2 days”

Ranked #217 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany
“2 days”
Reviewed November 30, 2011

I booked it on the internetto spend a weekend during a business trip in the Bay. I wanted something cheap (130$/night) for San Francisco standards and I got something cheap. Staff is not properly friendly, and rooms are not comfortable, you have TV though. Bathrooms are shared and some are clean and some not really. It is in the Mission and that is great for evening and nightlife. It is not the hotel to spend time inside but just to store your things and sleep while you spend your day sightseeing around San Francisco.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 15, 2011

DO NOT STAY AT THIS HELLHOLE.
I booked late on returning to here from my first leg.
IT is overpriced, airless and disgusting, and the people who run it should not be allowed near a hotel. Rude, inconsiderate and ignorant don't cover it.
I looked at the 'rooms' and after explaining my displeasure we left.
needless to say a refund was not forecoming.

Room Tip: yes, the cardboard boxes on Mission would be a better option
Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank SMTUK1

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 20, 2011

Had to stay here because nothing else was available. What a pigsty. Absolutely horrendous. There was a prostitute next door...the toilet and shower had to be shared...NEVER told us this. Would not give our money back. The prostitute smoked marijuana and it filtered into our room...there were roaches in the hallway...it was just bad. The area was ok....so we only came in to pass out...avoid.

• Stayed October 2010
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 19, 2011

We got to the hotel after a long and unexpected trip to San Fran and was one of the only hotels open and with vacancies. We actually really enjoyed this night and all because of the lovely receptionist/owner. A lovely indian woman who was very welcoming and gave us a good rate and a nice room. We had a comfy bed and a nice hot shower.It was clean and a reasonable price. And free internet access in the morning. It was just what we needed but wouldnt have stayed here for a long amount of time because of the location. Not very central.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Yorkshirewanders
Great Harbour Cay
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Easy to find in San Francisco's Mission District. Not a bad part of town. Artsy, hip, young.
The hotel rooms are small and simple -with a Hawaiian theme. There was a tv, and free wireless interenet access, but no air-conditioning nor a phone. The windows did not have screens. I was hot, but a bit nervous to open the window in case a bad guy would get in. My sister assured me only spiderman would be able to do it. Partying on the street was a bit noisy, as was the neighboring room had TV blared all night,

Room Tip: No A/C, no room phone, no screens in window. Get room furthest from street- it can be noisy
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank GreatHarbourGal
Reviewed May 29, 2011

The 80$ room is tiny, the towels are small and the place stinks. But my complaint is the service, specifically the woman that runs the place.
In the morning, before checking out, I went for a walk. It came to 1045, I was 30 minutes away, and I didn't know what time check out was. I called, she said 11, I asked if I could be a little late, and she said fine, no problem. I got back to the room, and she had taken all of my stuff out and put it in a storage closet. I hadn't packed and it was strewn about. I couldn't find my dirty clothes. I asked her where she put them and she took offense at my 'accusing' her of stealing my dirty socks and underwear. Eventually the guy shampoo vacuuming the room (reason they could not wait 15 minutes) suggested I look in the trash, by which he meant the dumpster out back. There it was. Why would she do that? I hate giving people like that my money.

• Stayed May 2011
3 Thank rlbaker
New York
Reviewed February 15, 2011

I have stayed at the Tropicana for the past several years. It is definitely gone down hill from then. The hotel is dirty and falling apart. Each time I travel to San Francisco, I make it a point to stay here because of the proximity to friends in the Mission but I will never stay here again. There was mold on the bed spread, window and if you open the refrigerator/freezer, you will see mold in the vents. I pointed it out to management and was told that she was busy. The water pressure is weak and the quality of two restaurants they own downstairs is mediocre at best.

If you are considering a stay at The Tropicana, reconsider! For the price that they charge, stay downtown and truly enjoy San Francisco.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo