“Near the theater district and Union Square. Neighborhood typical SF homeless all around.”

Hotel Adagio, Autograph Collection
Ranked #56 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

We stayed one night on a package deal with valet parking included. My Marriott Platinum status got us upgrade to a nice corner room on 12 floor and free breakfast. Elevators are small but are efficient. Nice lobby bar and restaurant. Would stay here again at the package price we got!

• Stayed: December 2013

Reviewed December 26, 2013

My wife booked this hotel for our wonderful City Break in San Fran. after carefully reading the reviews and checking the location.
The building is old, quirky and full of character whilst having all the contemporary features internally. The rooms were comfortable given the limited time you spend in them and we asked for a high floor and were delighted with our Skyline Room on the 15th Floor. The cleaning service was excellent and the beds very comfortable.
We enjoyed cocktails in the bar prior going out in the evening and the staff were very friendly and knowledgeable about the best local bars and restaurants. We were not disappointed with their recommendations....
The hotel is on the edge of the Tenderloin District and yes there are lots of homeless people around. However, they just go about their own business and very rarely would they be begging for food or money. This would not put us off returning and lots of buildings in the vicinity appear to be having a facelift or refurbishment so this part of Town felt very much like it was "up and coming".

Room Tip: E-mail the hotel before travelling and ask if its possible to be allocated a room on a higher floor
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
WarmRegards, General Manager at Hotel Adagio, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2014

Thank you for your excellent review and for sharing all that you enjoyed with us. We also appreciate you taking the time to point out to others that the homeless population in San Francisco normally go about their own business. We have shared your positive feedback with our staff, including our housekeeping team. Your compliments on our excellent cleaning service is very much appreciated. We are very pleased that you enjoyed Hotel Adagio and that you found our accommodations comfortable. There are, indeed, many new business to come nearby that will certainly add to all the San Francisco excitement! We hope you will return soon!

Kindest Regards,
MIchael Pace, .General Manager

Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

I am not a person to write review for everything and every place that I visit but I need to share my experience about this hotel.

1. Building is very old and they renewed interior which looks very good and nothing negative about this.

2. We were at room 510 which was very small. It was end of hallway but this is not a problem as it had a twin bed as we needed.

3. The cleaning service was really poor as they were missing to fill or replace many items.

4. Location of hotel is right in the border of good and bad neighborhood in union square. You see so many homeless people around the hotel which is not good specially at night.

5. This one was really unbelievable to me but unfortunately is true. Last day before checkout, we could find a small cockroach in the bathroom. I took couple of picture and show to the lady while checkout and she said we are sorry. This one was really bad and I am glad happened to us on the last day. I will upload the photos.

Totally based on my experience, I don't recommend this hotel. Possibly a 3 or 4 star in east side of union square would be much better. I am not sure why this hotel is rated 4 star.

They charge $55.00 for 24 hour parking which is stupid while other hotels charge 40 or 45. Also other public parkings in neighborhood charge 25 to 35.

Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Hooman-Yaz
Reviewed December 23, 2013

This hotel is a couple blocks from Union Square (tourist central and street car line) so its a great location for tourists and business people alike. The interior is very modern but comfortable. I had a nice room with a good bed and there was no external noise that I could hear. It was fairly spacious and I had a view of other buildings from the 14th floor. Staff was very nice. I particularly liked their exercise facility. It had three treadmills with plenty of space between as well as stationary bikes and free weights. It also was new and fresh. I was in there at 6:30 a.m. and had the place to myself. I miss the Stanford Court (an ex-Marriott property on Nob Hill), but this is a good substitute if you are loyal to Marriott.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Dear HeathCalabasas_CA,

Thank you for your loyal patronage to Marriott brand properties. It is thrilling for our staff to hear that you had a comfortable and enjoyable experience on your first stay with us. Thank you for noting that you particularly liked our 24-hour state-of-the-art fitness center. It is certainly quite spacious and set up to accommodate many guests comfortably. We hope we have earned your guest loyalty and look forwarded to serving you on your next visit to San Francisco.

Best,

Reviewed December 20, 2013

This hotel, which is pet friendly, gets five paws from Kay, our 13 year old black lab. They even brought a bed for her. But then again Kay didn't have to drive in Friday evening traffic to reach the hotel. Traffic is a bear in this part of San Francisco. So her owner isn't too enthused about the hotel’s location which has only limited curb side drop off and loading meaning that you must double park and block traffic or circle the block until space opens in front of the hotel.

The rest of the experience was above average and given that this was an older hotel, the face lift was successful. We had a corner room with the usual Marriott quality and taste. However the bath, even with new fixtures, is still a tribute to 1930’s economy of space.

Would we go back? Yes. But we’d be sure to schedule arrival at least an hour in advance of the rush hour.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

We are very excited that you, your family and Kay loved the above average experience with us! We appreciate you sharing with others that we take care of absolutely all of our guests, including our four-legged friends. Thank you for recommending Hotel Adagio to the TripAdvisor community. It's great to hear that you will definitely be back!

Kindly,

Reviewed December 20, 2013

The building is from the 1920's but the interior looks brand new! The lobby is modern, the bar is modern, the rooms are modern.
I found the room with a view of huge tiger mural outside to be spacious enough for my needs. I think I got lucky with a high floor. The bed was soft and I got a good night's sleep each night.
Breakfast in the "Green Room" was good, the first morning I had some eggs and was happy, the second day I had some French toast and was elated. That is a great job by the chef!
The bar was busy for happy hour(4-7) The specialty drinks would fall under the craft cocktail banner and were tasty. I tried La Pistolita and was surprised to find that I like Mescal. I also had an appetizer of some Asian pork belly and was really pleased. The bartenders were all fun types.
The rest of the hotel staff was cool and helpful.
The hotel is in a great location, not far from the public transportation and union Square. There's great nightlife all around.

Room Tip: Crazy tiger mural can be viewed from the eastern side of the hotel, it will either freak you out or...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo

You are exactly right, Crash89! We are a historic building that has been completely renovated inside with an upscale, contemporary design. We are thrilled that you enjoyed a modern and pleasing experience with us. Thank you for mentioning the crafted cocktails, delicious cuisine and personalized, fun service from our mixologists. We can't wait to have you back to deliver another 5 star stay!

With Much Appreciation,
MIchael Pace, General Manager

Reviewed December 20, 2013

We took a few days to enjoy the sights and sounds of San Francisco during the holidays and stayed at the Hotel Adagio. It was located 2.5 blocks from Union Square...just far enough away to avoid all the hustle and bustle that would make it a noisy place!

The staff was extremely attentive, the room very comfortable albeit a little noisy with the doors being opened and closed by neighbors nearby. It is an older hotel that underwent a major renovation about a year ago.

I highly recommend this place and we'd definitely come back again.

We got a "smoking deal" on Priceline!!!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
WarmRegards, General Manager at Hotel Adagio, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear Vanessa K,

It is very encouraging to receive your great review! We are pleased that you enjoyed your experience at Hotel Adagio. We aim to always provide excellent service at all times along with comfortable and unique accommodations. Your wonderful feedback has been shared with our staff, as they work tirelessly to make every guest feel special. Thank you for your high recommendation. We can't wait to have you back!

Best,