“Great city, okay hotel!”

Hotel Adagio, Autograph Collection
Ranked #53 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Great city, okay hotel!”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

When booking the hotel through Marriott.com, I held the belief that the Adagio was part of Marriott properties, and didn't realize until I checked in that this was not the case. Had a large room, but the bed was so hard, that both my husband and I woke up with sore backs both mornings. The lobby area had totally been renovated and it looked chic and up to date. The staff was friendly, but housekeeping was hit and miss! I would probably stay closer to Fisherman's Wharf on my next trip.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
WarmRegards, General Manager at Hotel Adagio, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear mawindle,

Thank you for staying with us. Please know that we are, indeed, the newest member of Marriott’s Autograph Collection. We appreciate you bringing to our attention the housekeeping oversight you experienced and apologize for this inconvenience, as the lack of service you experienced is unusual and not the standard of our hotel. It is our hope that all that you did enjoy at Hotel Adagio will bring you back to give us the opportunity to have you as our guest again. It would be a pleasure to provide you with the quality of stay that you deserve and should expect from us. Thank you for taking the time to complete the review on our property.

Michael Pace, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
Mirfield
Reviewed June 20, 2013

My wife and I stayed in this hotel for four nights. It was booked through Virgin Holidays and proved to be a good choice. The hotel has recently gone through a modernisation programme and the large rooms have been brought up to date. The reception staff were very efficient and has us checked in within a couple of minutes. The room is well decorated with a settee down one side and all the usual modern amenities. However the landings do look a little dismal as they have been painted a light brown colour and it doesn't do the hotel any favours, but the rooms themselves are bright and welcoming. On the ground floor there is a small breakfast area and behind that an area where free tea and coffee is availed to guests. A very nice touch. There is also chilled fruit flavoured water available to the right of the reception desk.
The hotel has a small bar to the right of reception and this was busy most nights. They also served 'light bites' in here in an evening which proved very popular.
Before we started the holiday we had taken out a Thomas Cook Cash Passport, where you could load Dollars onto a credit type card. We used this card to guarantee any extra payments at the hotel. Big mistake. We ended up not having a bill at the end of our stay but it has taken over three weeks for the deposit taken by the hotel to be refunded, not because of the hotel but because of Thomas Cooks inefficient system. Michael Page the General Manager of the hotel could not have been more helpful as our journey around California continued in trying to help us to get Thomas Cook to refund the $100 the hotel had taken as a deposit. The hotel had done what they should have done on the day we departed so the help we received from Michael in providing information to Thomas Cook was invaluable. He couldn't have done more. The lesson learned here is don't use a Thomas Cook Cash Passport as a hotel credit guarantee card while away. The $100 dollars was finally refunded after we had returned to the UK. Not a lot of use to us now!
The Adagio is in a great location and is only a five minute walk from Union Square. The area my look a little dubious at night the first time you step out, but we experienced no problems at all and felt very safe walking around the streets. San Francisco has a very large homeless problem (I thought London was bad till I went here) but we never felt threatened by these people begging or sleeping on the street. In fact if you say no to them politely, most will say 'have a nice day'.
This is a hotel were the level of service was exceptional with large comfortable rooms. I will be back to San Francisco and will definitely be staying at the Adagio

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PeterMirfield
WarmRegards, General Manager at Hotel Adagio, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear PeterMirfield,

Thank you for your 4 night stay at Hotel Adagio! Your extensive review on all that you enjoyed with us will certainly be helpful to other TripAdvisor travelers. We appreciate you providing your insight on our comfortable accommodations and exceptional level of customer service. It was my pleasure to personally serve you and handle the situation described in your review. Your business and guest loyalty is extremely important to us. We enjoyed having you and your wife as our guests and look forward to welcoming you back! Thank you kindly for your great review.

Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at Hotel Adagio on a business trip as this was recommended by my company. The hotel was very disappointing. First problem was that they could not get my credit card working - The reason was that the hotel uses too old system that is no longer accepted by MasterCard - beware this! Next problem was the room. It was spacious for sure but it was filthy and facing directly the air conditioning system. The noise was terrible and it was impossible to sleep without earplugs. The quality of service was poor. Once they did not clean my room and change towels at all and another time the cleaner had left a dirty rug on the desk. Can you call this a five star hotel? The hotel is located in the first blocks of Tenderloin slum area and whenever you go out there are homeless people begging and asking for money. Not very nice if you go out alone after dark. I highly recommend avoiding this place. There are much better hotels in the financial district.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank OtherOpt
Dear OtherOpt,

We apologize for falling short of delivering the level of quality that you are accustomed to and should expect from us. It is very disappointing for us to learn of your experience, and we regret not having the opportunity to improve your level of comfort and make it right. Be assured that your feedback is taken seriously and has been addressed with our staff, as your input is incredibly important to us. Also, please know that our location is in a safe area and the locals that you may have come across are not unlike what you will find in the majority of the San Francisco area. Again, we apologize for failing to impress you and hope you will reconsider returning to enjoy an improved stay with us. Thank you for your review.

Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed June 17, 2013

The high price and cramped room is probably standard for SF, but I'm not really sure why staying in the city of S.F. warrants a higher price than say Des Moines IA, or Jackson, MS. both of which probably have less human waste dotting the sidewalks. Sorry, this isn't about the city in general...ok.

Adagio is a great place to stay if you want to be almost smack dab in Union Square. Perhaps if the purpose of your trip is drinking and general partying. because the rooms are miniscule Ours was freakishly small...a storage closet with a shower stall, really. And we were grateful to be on the upper floors because my God is this city noisy. The staff were nice and helpful. And when we cut our stay short, they made absolutely no fuss about refunding the last night. Very nice.

Room Tip: Stay on upper floors if you want sleep!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Trip t,

Thank you for staying with us. While we are glad that you found Hotel Adagio a great place to stay that is conveniently location, it is disappointing to hear that we failed to exceed all of your expectations. We are sorry that the size of your room and other features did not fit your preference. Thank you for mentioning our accommodating and friendly staff. We appreciate your business and your feedback.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 10, 2013

This is an average quality hotel in average San Francisco location. Rooms are very large, which is nice. Housekeeping is somewhat unreliable (they forgot to clean the room one day, and did a mediocre job another day.) The staff were pleasant and helpful. Overall, this is an acceptable choice, but not really anything special.

Room Tip: Get a room on the side street, not on Geary St. -- quieter.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
WarmRegards, General Manager at Hotel Adagio, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Dear out8974,

Thank you for bringing the details of your recent experience to our attention. We apologize for our housekeeping error and have immediately followed up on your comment. Please know that we always welcome any opportunity to ensure your comfort throughout your stay and are at your service at all hours. It is a great pleasure for us to resolve any issue and make it right while you are still with us. We are happy that you did enjoy our spacious, newly renovated rooms, along with helpful service, and hope this will be enough to bring you back to Hotel Adagio. We certainly would love to exceed your expectations and deliver the overall all above average experience you deserve.

John Parker, General Manager
Anaheim, California
Reviewed June 9, 2013

great location, we didnt even use our rental, from union square you can go anywhere with the tour buses. The hotel is nice and modern, rooms are nice and comfortable too, service is great and breakfast is great as well.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Radu_Botnari
WarmRegards, General Manager at Hotel Adagio, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Radu_Botnari,

Thank you for your fabulous feedback on your experience at Hotel Adagio. We are constantly striving to provide the best accommodations and service that San Francisco has to offer! Thank you for recognizing our efforts. It's great to learn of your comfort in our newly renovated hotel and that our modern and sophisticated style was to your liking. We appreciate and value your 5 star review and look forward to serving you again soon.

Kindest Regards,
John Parker, General Manager
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Adagio for 3 nights April 26-29,2013 to celebrate my birthday. This was the second part of my trip after spending 4 glorious days in Sonoma at the Sonoma Lodge Renaissance Resort & Spa. Needless to say my expectations were high when I booked a room at a hotel that is part of Marriott's Autograph Collection of boutique hotels. I should have known something was awry due to the deeply discounted rates. The hotel lobby has been nicely renovated but when I noticed that the cover on the control panel in the elevator was missing and replaced with duck tape I knew this was going to be a problematic experience. I'm a frequent Marriott customer and have acquired Platinum status. I'm aware that upgrades aren't guaranteed but I expect at least a step up from a standard room. Therefore, prior to arriving I requested a Grand Skyline room that includes a sofa. Upon my arrival, they acted as if they upgraded me by giving me a corner standard room. The decor needed improvement but more importantly, it was filthy. The counter in the bathroom still had traces of soap from the previous guest, there was mold on the caulking around the bath tub and the toilet seat was loose. I was running late for an engagement and planned to speak with a manager upon my return that evening. I returned to the hotel around 10:15 PM and wanted a cup of tea. Unfortunately, there was no coffee maker or cups to be found. I called the front desk to inquire about this oversight and was informed that the “coffee makers are not standard and must be requested upon check-in.” Well, it would have been nice to have been informed of this upon check-in. Therefore, I went to the dining area to get a carafe of hot water for my tea. Then I decided I wanted a bite to eat. I was informed by the front desk that the kitchen closed at 10. What?!.....at 10PM on a Friday night in San Francisco? That was ridiculous. When I asked to speak with a manager regarding the issues about my room I was told that there is no manager on staff until the next morning. When I called to speak with a manager @ 8:30 the next morning everything went from bad to worst. For the next 2 hours I tried to get in touch with a manager named "Erving" who mysteriously never showed up for work. Finally, I contacted the customer Platinum service line who transferred me to the Autograph Collection's customer service. I expressed my disdain for the conditions of the room to which I was given and he in turn contacted the hotel directly where he spoke with Angela. I had also spoken with Angela who told me that “Erving” was supposed to be the manager on duty. However, the representative from the Autograph Collection had better results since he expressed to Angela the urgency of having a manager contact me ASAP and that my room needed to be changed. Around 11AM I received a call from Maria (the actual manager on duty the entire weekend) who expressed her apologies and said that if my things were packed they would relocate me to a different room. Needless to say I never unpacked. Anyway, I requested the upgrade I should have received and asked if one of the Suites were available. She was able to accommodate me and when I returned to the hotel later that afternoon my new accommodation was a penthouse suite! Now that's what I'm talking about. A far cry from that hole I was previously in. The room was spacious and clean. This is where they should have placed me in the beginning. The only other issue worth mentioning was the use of the computer in their business office. There should not be a charge to access the internet. Evidently, you're allowed to print boarding passes for free but there is a charge for general use of the internet and printing. However, I spoke with a front desk attendant (I think her name is Whitney) and she promptly removed it from my bill. In conclusion, If you want to enjoy your stay here, request a Penthouse Suite.

Room Tip: Get a Penthouse Suite.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank mochajazz1
Dear mochajazz1,

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your experience described in your review. We do apologize for any miscommunications or inconveniences that occurred. Thank you for understanding that, although we greatly appreciate your Marriott brand loyalty and will always recognize our Marriott Rewards Members, upgrades are not guarantee. While we regret that your first room location did not fit your preference, we are happy that we were able to accommodate your upgrade request and that your relocation exceeded your expectations. We have followed up on your comments and appreciate your valued feedback. Your business and continued patronage are extremely important to us. Please know that we take great pride in providing our guests with the impressive and comfortable stay they deserve, and hope to have the pleasure of having you as our guest on your next visit to San Francisco.