“Just fine by me...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #209 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
Whangarei, New Zealand
“Just fine by me...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

I just stayed at the hotel again - the 4th time in 10 years. I considered booking another hotel , but the cost of the Taylor is so competitive it seemed like a waste of money, given that I was only gong to sleep there!
To me, the hotel has many advantages - apart from the price. Number one - its clean. Number two: its safe (the buzzer may be a drag, but you ain't gonna get crazy people rockin on in). Number three: its location is fan-tas-tic!

The owners have made quite a few improvements since I was there 4 years ago - painted the room, done up the bathroom, new duvets etc. May not be my taste, but that's ok.

I find the owners really helpful and friendly, once they get to know you. So...they cook Indian food. Don't you?? So the public spaces are not that styley - does that really matter?

I'm happy to pay bargain rates for a clean, basic, quiet centrally located accommodation, so that I can spend more on clothes and other SF delights!
Would recommend to other NZ travellers, esp solo females.

Room Tip: I like the one on the first floor, overlooking Taylor St. Lots of morning sun.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
5 Thank Tricia C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Brisbane
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I booked this hotel knowing it would be basic but just needing a cheap place to sleep in an expensive city. For around $70 per night this was very well located and acceptable for an old building. It was awkward having to be buzzed in each time but good for security. There is a very strong Indian cooking smell in the foyer. We loved the old lift it was a great novelty for my son and worked fine. The room was basic but perfectly adequate. Bed was comfy enough, had an ok bathroom. Hostel sort of feel. Certainly not new but usable. Staff were friendly. Wifi very slow - we found this in many hotels though not just this one. Loved that we could open the window. The fire escape was also a novelty just like in the movies. I travelled with my 5 year old as a single Mum and felt safe here. This is certainly not a hotel where you would want to spend many hours inside but why would you in beautiful San Fransisco?

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Brisbanekidz
Herning
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

I stayed there a couple of nights in september and while the place was noting much to look at, it was ok if you just wanted a place to sleep.
However if the free wifi connection is important to you, you should consider looking elsewhere. At best it was very very slow and in the morning and evening at the time I assume most people would be at the hotel, it was almost useless.
A collegue who was also staying at the hotel at another floor couldn't even connect and was told to stand by the window, but that didn't help.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank DenRejsende100

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Durham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Well I'm not sure where to start.

We had a long drive before arriving in San Fran and I was very dubious regarding the accommodation once we we're let into the lobby area. Like other reviews have mentioned you do have to press a door bell, then you are buzzed in, at 1st I thought it was a bit of a pain but once you have seen the amount of homeless people around the city I then realised it was probably better for the security of people staying at the premises.

The lobby area is not too bad and to be fair the staff were reasonably helpful, having said that I had no issues or reasons to bother them for anything.

The wifi is free but works in fits and starts, on occasion instant but more often very slow.

Once we got out of the lift and entered the 4th floor landing area we were hit with a strong smell of urine and this continued into the room. The landing is really run down.

The window in the room which leads onto the metal fire escape area that's accessible by other hotel users did not lock! I found this very worrying for my security and belongings.

I've travelled a lot over the years and by no means am I stuck up about potentially 'roughing it' but my 1st impressions of this place were to turn round and walk out. The initial impression is that it's dirty and not a nice place to stay and most of all I felt uneasy and on edge.

We did not have internet access before making this reservation, if we did and I'd read the mixed reviews I would not have booked this accommodation.

I take note of all the other mixed reviews and can partly understand people giving this place a reasonable review purely based on location and price but would I ever book this place again? Not a chance!

There is no way anyone can issue an 'excellent' review for here, it's just not possible.

I suppose it's up to you. Look at the pictures I've uploaded, if you think it looks to your standards and you don't mind the strong smell of urine book yourself in!

Enjoy!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
18 Thank lee t
shanghai
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I stayed at this hotel last July for 3 days.The hotel is run by a family from India. The price for a room in July was $ 110 a night but still was not worth it. The hotel ( I would not even call this a hotel) was old, dirty and had a stink of rotten food or God knows what but what a foul stench. The stairs and rooms had old warn out carpets with stains. The bathroom had a toilet bowl from when the place must have been built. I can go on and on.San Fransisco is a beautiful city but the city needs to inspect these dives. If you meet someone you do not like recommend this disgusting filthy,hole in the wall to them!Avoid!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
15 Thank chinamite
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

This is a budget hotel. But compared to the hugely expensive other hotels in San Francisco, the Taylor hotel was fantastic value. The rooms are old but clean, with private bathrooms and perfectly adequate hot water. Honestly, for a hotel with these prices, what more could you ask for! And its in a great location. The curtains were thin so I used an eye mask as I like the room to be very dark when I sleep, and the streets of San Fran are noisy so I also used ear plugs. But i have absolutely no complaints for the hotel itself, and I would stay here again. I think it's been judged far too harshly by other reviewers.

Room Tip: The streets are noisy, so as far away from Taylor st as possible!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank amays
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Really enjoyed. It's clean. Does not smell weird. Good shower pressure. Awesome location. Mini fridge + TV. Clean linens. Good security. Felt comfortable in the neighbourhood. No plug in the BR, so just bring an extension cord to do your hair in the mirror (an easy fix). Lots of space. Stayed in both the 2 bed and 1 bed rooms. Fab deal. I hope it stays affordable because I'd go back again for sure. i honestly don't understand the poor reviews. It was great and beyond expectation for paying so much less than anywhere else without actually having to share rooms with strangers. I never heard the neighbours. Very quiet. Locking doors. Much better than a typical hostel. It's just a simple hotel, not mega luxurious, but it's certainly not a dump. Elevator worked when I was there. If you want the 4 Seasons, than go ahead and pay $500/night. If you want an affordable, clean, quiet, safe, centrally located place to sleep, shower, and hang out a bit, this is your best choice.
Only one thing...if you have a bad back (which I don't), maybe bring something to help with that, as the mattresses were just kind of cheap (as expected, I don't think they should buy new ones, but a little back ache definitely helped me get out of bed every day).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends