“An interesting walk through San Francisco's surprising history.”

Emperor Norton's Fantastic San Francisco Time Machine
Book In Advance
More Info
$20.00*
and up
Emperor Norton's Fantastic San Francisco Time Machine
Ranked #61 of 299 Tours in San Francisco
Reviewed January 28, 2013

This is an excellent walking tour full of bits and pieces of history from San Francisco's colorful past. The walk started in Union Square, went through the lobbies of several of the city's most ornate historical hotels, along the Financial District with its ornate building lobbies, into the Barbary Coast area, hidden underground tunnels, and on to Chinatown. Lots of interesting facts presented. It was fun to watch the expression of others as they came upon our walking group led by a very authentic looking "Emperor." Even though we are local, it was wonderful to be tourists for a day. Highly recommend this tour through San Francisco's past.

All reviews
in 4 reviews
"tour lasts"
"explore sf"
in 2 reviews
"wear comfortable walking shoes"
"gold rush"
in 3 reviews
"afternoon tour"

Reviewed January 19, 2013

This is an excellent tour! Emperor Norton is an interesting, fun, knowledgable guide. You learn lots of interesting stories about early SF. Highly recommended! It is a walking tour, three hours and two miles. Easy and very worthwhile!

Reviewed January 16, 2013

Though there is no proven way to travel back in time this comes pretty close.
The guide, dressed in his emperor's clothes, led our small group through the heart of San-Francisco, offering anecdotes from its glorious past.
It's walking theatre at its best, filled with laughs and great stories. I highly recommend it!

Reviewed January 13, 2013

A friend and I just took this tour and both of us couldn't be happier we did. I've lived in Oakland for 35 years, and always want to know more about San Francisco's history, architecture and historical characters. This guide does it just right--he's read lots of history, knows fantastic buildings to explore, and brings Emperor Norton to life, when I hadn't known anything about him before. He also can give you great recommendations for other tours, places to eat, buildings to spend more time in--I loved every minute.

See more reviews
Reviewed October 23, 2012

As a 30 year San Francisco resident, I was amazed at how much I learned about my City from this tour. 'Emperor Norton' has done his homework and showed me places that I have walked by for years but never bothered to take a deeper look. Finding murals in building lobbies and back rooms of bars were fascinating.

Lots of great stories about the 1906 Earthquake including a tale of Enrico Caruso and the Palace Hotel.

It is a long tour, about 3 hours so plan on walking and climbing hills and steps. Like all San Franciscans dress in layers because you may need to add or remove a layer.(jacket).

His stories are well researched from my knowledge of San Francisco history. I would recommend this tour to both natives and visitors. You will learn something new about our wonderful City.

1  Thank cubanoca