“GREAT HOTEL, GREAT LOCATION, VERY COMFORTABLE”

Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel
Ranked #10 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Nottingham
“GREAT HOTEL, GREAT LOCATION, VERY COMFORTABLE”
Reviewed April 21, 2009

Just returned from 3 glorious days in SF and stayed in the Argonaut. We had 2 connecting queen rooms on the 3rd floor and everything about them was perfect. The quality of the decor, cleanliness and quietness of the rooms ensured plenty of rest. Nice Aveda toiletries in bathrooms and the comlimentary tea/coffee facilities was a treat - which is rare for USA hotels! The Mermaid restaurant next door served wonderful breakfasts and the best French Toast ever!. Location was simply the best - overlooking Hyde Beach and just opposite the terminal for the cable car. The staff here were all very friendly and most helpful in every way - everything just went together so smoothly.
In terms of near restaurants - try Cuppuros accross the road for good Italian fare but our favourite by far was SCOMAS - excellent seafood and great atmosphere and up market!.
Would recommend this hotel anytime - loved it! THANKS!!

1 Thank luxuryholidayqueen
GreatStayMakers, Hotel Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, April 21, 2009
Thank you for staying with us and sharing all your comments about your perfect stay. I am glad to hear you enjoyed our amenities from the Aveda toiletries to the location and other amenities we have to offer. We hope you will stay with us again the next time your travels bring you to San Francisco.

Regards,
Rich Hippauf
Hotel Manager
richard.hippauf@argonauthotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,107)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Elk River, MN
Reviewed April 17, 2009

My wife and I just completed a 5 day stay at the Argonaut hotel and absolutely loved it!

We stayed in a "city view" room which overlooked a neighboring courtyard area. During the day we were actually serenaded by musicians!

The hotel room was comfortable, large, modern, smartly decorated and very clean.

We also enjoyed the nightly social hour, met lots of very nice people and shared many stories over a glass of wine.

The staff was first rate- always smiling, friendly and never let us walk by without greeting us.

I travel moderately for business and as a result have stayed in my fair share of hotels. This is a first rate hotel which will exceed your expectations!

I would highly recommend this hotel to others.

1 Thank DarrylBElkRiver_MN
florida
Reviewed April 17, 2009

This hotel is in a great location because you're right at the edge of the tourist area, but close enough to walk just about anywhere. The hotel is very nice with a nautical decor. The rooms were very clean and large with cozy beds and high quality linens. There was also free internet service. I am very picky about the cleanliness of hotels and I would give it 5 stars, the room smelled fresh and clean and was in perfect condition. Now the biggest downfall of this hotel is the noise. We could hear the people talking in the room next door and we didn't need to turn on our TV because we could hear theirs perfectly. I would say the walls are very thin! Another problem we were on the 3rd floor and had kids running back and forth above us until midnight. When we complained the front desk sent security to the room and the noise stopped shortly thereafter. Finally we thought we had peace and quiet and we started hearing rap music and a loud bass (boom! boom!). It was outside our window which faced the side street. We called the front desk again and they told us they couldn't do anything about it and we should call the Police. Well, not the answer I wanted to hear. I told them I wasn't going to pay for my room and would speak to the manager in the morning. The phone rang about 15 minutes later and they had sent security outside to find the cause of the boom! boom! and found it was a car parked on the street. They finally did call the police and the noise was gone, but it was about 1am and needless to say we had a terrible nights sleep. The next day the manager who was very nice offered us a room on the 4th floor (top floor) with a view of the bay. We moved there and it was very quiet and had a much more enjoyable stay. The staff were very friendly although they didn't have a concierge and when asked for a restaurant suggestion from the front desk they were not knowledgeable at all. The most helpful, friendly and knowledgeable person was the doorman. Not sure what his name is, but he was wonderful and offered great advice as to where to go and what to do. You are right by Fisherman's Wharf, Ghiradelli Square, Pier 39, cablecar turnaround and can walk just about anywhere from this location. We actually took the cablecar to Chinatown and walked back to the hotel. It's a great area to rent bikes and ride to the Golden Gate Bridge. I would recommend this hotel, but stay on the 4th floor if you want a peaceful nights sleep!

new orleans
Reviewed April 14, 2009

It wasn’t the most expensive hotel, but I still had some better options that would have probably better suited my girlfriend and I. Just wanted to switch up the hotel location, from the financial district/union square area to some water, but from the guy playing the drums across the street, kids screaming next door, and kids doing back flips above us I would have preferred something less family/touristy and gone with a slightly more mature scene. They did give me some free wine in the Lobby probably to numb out the kids yelling. Pros were view of Alcatraz, price was fair, being a tourist is fun for at least 1 hour and there is a fair amount of T-shirt shops, tours and Dungeness crab places. Cons are Nautical theme might drive you insane if you take any psychedelic drugs, loud, and Tourist Traps are heavy in numbers. Next time going to stay away from this area.

Norway
Reviewed April 13, 2009

I have been working as a travel documentary producer for the last 10 years, and have stayed at my share of international hotels. However, the service level that the Argonaut displayed when our family of four turned up this April, blew me away. From we entered the hotel, everything was all "YES, WE WILL TAKE CARE OF THAT". And unlike some posh 5-star hotels I have been to, there was absolutely NO stiff upper lip.
The room (no.444) were beautiful, and more than big enough for the family. It also had a great view of the Golden Gate Bridge.
The free wine tasting in the lobby between 5pm and 6pm was a brilliant move, as it made it easy and natural for the guests to mingle and meet in a totaly relaxing environment.
The location is excellent, with a very short walk to all kinds of public transport, and on the fringe of the tourist area. This makes it easy to avoid the VERY touristy areas, but at the same time, it gives you access to the plus sides of the location.
If you plan to stay in San Francisco, I can recommend the Argonaut with all my heart, a superb and perfect establishment that are closer to 5 than 4 stars.

California
Reviewed April 11, 2009

We wanted to meet with family, be comfortable/quiet and see the Bay. We had a tremendous stay that met and exceeded all our criterion. Every staff person was very friendly and helpful - especially John the Doorman. Our room was gorgeous, on the top floor with a Bay view. It was very roomy and we enjoyed the nautical theme. The shutters kept out the light at night. This part of the wharf was very quiet - no outside or inside noise. The bed was very comfortable too! The location allowed us to walk around and see a lot. Very enjoyable - we will return!

California
Reviewed April 8, 2009

I grew up in the SF Bay Area so have stayed in the city many times. My teenage daughter and I wanted to make a quick trip to the city over spring break and I found an incredible rate for the Argonaut on Expedia so decided to go for it. We stayed just for one night on April 6, 2009. As other reviews have mentioned, the staff was excellent. I left my cell phone in my car after the valet had taken it to park, and the phone was back at the bell desk in 10 minutes. There were a lot of kids at the hotel (spring break) and the family above us had kids stomping around. I called the operator to ask if they could contact the room and the noised stopped within five minutes. The rest of the experience was great, the hotel was overall very quiet especially compared to many of the hotels around Union Square where you hear garbage trucks in the middle of the night. The ONLY downside was that there wasn't any water (filtered or otherwise) in the workout room...and most hotels of this caliber provide that. Otherwise, would not hesitate to stay here again!