Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
San Francisco Marriott Marquis(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$267
$491
$194
Agoda.com
  • Pool
InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$228
$195
InterContinental
  • Room Service
Comfort Inn by the Bay(San Francisco)
$269
$259
ComfortInn
  • Breakfast included
Club Quarters Hotel in San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$240
$179
  • Restaurant
Courtyard by Marriott San Francisco Downtown(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$257
$229
  • Restaurant
Kimpton Sir Francis Drake Hotel(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$200
$158
$408
Hotelpower.com
6,122 results
All reviewsnautical themeblue mermaidfisherman's wharfthe golden gate bridgecable carchowdermaritime museumgreat locationghirardelli squareirish coffeebuena vistabay viewking suitewine hourwharf areawine receptionevery evening
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 28, 2009

We stayed at the Argonaut Hotel during the last week of February 09 for a family vacation. My boys, ages 8 & 11, wanted to see the Golden Gate Bridge, so I watched Expedia for a deal on plane tickets & hotel accomodations until this trip combination came up at a special price. It seemed like it would be a great overall value for us. I had read lots of great reviews about the Argonaut Hotel, so I figured as long as I got a great price on the trip, we'd certainly have a great time there, as well.

We booked a queen/queen room with a view of the bridge. Be warned--it's quite some distance away, so don't plan on any great photos from the room--we couldn't even see it sometimes, because of the fog. The room seemed really small to me--not enough tables or surfaces, and the 4 of us were stumbling all over each other the whole time we were there. It's definitely smaller than a comparable room at a regular chain hotel room. The bathroom doesn't even lock--it just has a pocket door, and there's no exhaust fan in there, either. The shower was great, though, so I'll let that part make up for the rest.

Ok, so it's a boutique hotel, and the rooms aren't going to be the same. Well, for the amount of money we spent on this room, I would have hoped to at least get a pastry or a muffin in the morning, but alas, even a cold continental breakfast costs extra here, and I mean ~plenty~ extra. Be prepared to leave the hotel if you want to get any food for even a halfway reasonable price. We got in too late the first night to get dinner anywhere around there, so we had to order room service or else starve...two pathetic chicken & cheese quesadillas that cost us nearly $30. Not a good way to start our stay. The staff is nice enough, and willing to direct you to other places to get less expensive meals than what they offer there.

I also didn't find this location to be as convenient to the amenities of Fisherman's Wharf as I had hoped it would be, either. Everything we wanted to do was several blocks away, further down Jefferson Street and closer to Pier 39, for example. Getting to the pier for Alcatraz Cruises was an exceptionally long haul. I suppose it all depends on what you're looking to do while you're here. If I had it to do all over again, I would spend my money on a better location and food rather than all this novelty and hype, because it just really wasn't worth it to us.

1  Thank scraphappybabs
Reviewed February 28, 2009

Stayed in a King Deluxe room overlooking the Cannery Park. Got a great rate through Travelzoo.
Loved our stay...especially biking across the Golden Gate Bridge and beyond to Sausalito and Tiburon...then back to SF by ferry!
Then we got massages by Susanne on Beach Street (much better deal than the hotel...$75 for an hour)
The staff was very nice at the hotel..my only issue was when we asked about how to get to the airport by public transportation. The staff kept pressuring us to take a taxi or a shuttle instead of the BART. In the end we found our way and while it took a bit longer we saved some money and had a bit of an adventure....we spent the money we saved on lunch!
Great hotel and we would definitely return. It is on Fisherman's Wharf but not in the middle of the most touristy area. It is off at one end and next door to the cable car. They even had Ben and Jerry's and Starbuck's in the building making both of us happy :)
Highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2009

My 13 year old daughter and I stayed at the Argonaut for 3 nights in mid-February. Having booked a package trip through Expedia less than a week before the trip (but chosing the Argonaut based on tripadvisor reviews) I did not necessarily expect a great view or prime room. We were thrilled by a room with views of the Bay and Golden Gate Bridge, the cable car terminal and the Ghirardelli building. The room was one of the cutest hotel rooms I have ever seen, in addition to be clean, quiet and comfortable. We were on the second floor, but were not bothered by any outside noise durning the night or early morning. Hotel staff responded quickly to deliver some toiletry items we had forgotten. My daughter's only complaint was the lack of wireless internet connection in the rooms, but she survived with the wired connection. I found the hotel a wonderful respite from the touristy Fisherman's Wharf area. We will definitely stay here again.

Reviewed February 20, 2009

The Argonaut staff is top notch. From Donovan the bell captain to the maintence guy that fixed a small problem in the room, all are very profesional and exceptionally friendly. The building is pretty cool - the timber shell and brick facade are from an old cannery. The rooms are nice and exceptionally quiet for an urban hotel. The hotel is conveniently located adjacent to the trolley line, Fisherman's Wharf, and Ghiradelli Square. We've stayed here twice and will surely do so again.

Reviewed February 20, 2009

This hotel is nautical through and through, it makes a great boutique hotel. Staff are very friendly and helpful, really made you feel welcome.

Rooms are well equipped and quite, with a continuation of the nautical theme.

The breakfast are great with a relaxing outside terrace, the service can be a little slow, but you can happily relax and let the world go by.

Location wise its 2 minutes walk to the beach on fisherman’s wharf, and even closer to the tram stop to union square. Fisherman’s Wharf is very touristy so might not be for everybody, but San Francisco is a really relaxing city to visit so well worth a trip.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family