“Love Love Love!”

Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel
Ranked #14 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 8, 2014

My new favorite place! This place was little pricey but what an amazing hotel! My husband and two teenagers stayed just two nights and fell in love. The room was super cute and I'm already planning to redo a room in my house to match. The staff was fantastic, friendly and helpful. They will really give you advice on places to go and shortcuts to things if asked. They even brought us a complimentary goldfish for our room.
This is a great location for activities near Fishermand Wharf....Ghiredelli Square...tons of souvenir shops, restaurants, bicycle rentals, salons, whatever you like. We noticed they even have a couple bicycles at the hotel I think were available to ride. We were able to walk to Lombard Street and Chinatown(tho we certainly got our walking in as it was still a hike). While here for two short days, we went to Muir Woods, and Alcatraz tours which both were fantastic. There is so much to do, so just research ahead of time since there was more we have done with more time.
I can't complain about a thing, but did notice when we left by the elevators there appears there are some rooms with a view of only a concrete area. Luckily we had a view courtyard and a cute little restaurant. Don't forget to pack with comfy shoes and a jacket and sweatshirt. If you forget, no worries as there are stores selling them for $15-$25 and they are decent. I thought I was prepared but it was still cold and had to buy a sweatshirt. (52 degrees the morning of July 1).Don't forget to try a bread bowl , yummy!

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank happyfamilyMacomb_Il
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2014

Hi, Happy Family MacombII!

You have given me a chowder-in-a-bread bowl craving like nobody's business!
I'm tickled that you loved the decor here so much that you'll be bring some of the experience home to your own furnishings. Neat! Perhaps even a goldfish, too :)?

If not, we'll have some guppy love for you here upon your return to welcome you back!

Reviewed July 8, 2014

The Argonaut was amazing wood work at both hotel floor and bedroom walls. The decoration is thematic and compatible with the explorers of the book "the Argonauts of the Western Pacific".
Hi-speed internet was provided.
We were very positively impressed with the fact that the hotel was bicycles to borrow to its guests. This is wonderful since you can have a very pleasant cycling tour to the Golden Gate bridge. The room included a welcoming glass of wine at the wonderful hotel restaurant (the Blue Mermaid). The Blue Mermaid offers gastronomic prize winner dishes (seafood chowder is unbeatable).
The friendliness of the staff is remarkable.
The hotel is pet friendly, and pets are treated a VIP guest. We didn't have pets with us, but we noticed how well pets are treated at this hotel.
We have staying in many hotels in San Francisco, and this one is definitely the best one.

Room Tip: Request a room with views to the sea. You can get a fantastic view to Alcatraz.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MariaAlejandraGP
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2014

Hi, there, MariaAlejandraGP,
Didn't the designers do a great job? And of course they had some rich history and "good bones" to work from, but it really is a fun yet elegant and understated look.
I'm glad that fun was also reflected in the service, and that you got to observe humans and pets all getting the love! The restaurant serves their famous chowders at both lunch and dinner, and remember hotel guests can receive a pass to enjoy a free cup with any entree. We hope that perks like that, the loaner bikes you mention, the onsite historic museum, wine reception, etc. all help to really make the stay special.

Reviewed July 8, 2014

If you plan on being around the tourist, Fisherman's Warf and Pier 39, and want luxury, this is your place.
The linens are super soft, service was impeccable and location perfect!
They even let us park very early, locked up out luggage so we could get an early start checking out the city.

Room Tip: The 4th floor view was amazing but not worth extra money. You could only see out the window if you p...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Steiss

Thanks, Steiss! I have to tell you, though, it's dangerous. With all these reviews mentioning wonderful meals and/or comfortable bedding, I am now alternating between wanting to knock off for lunch or curl up with a book :)!

Reviewed July 8, 2014

We really enjoyed our 3 night stay at the Argonaut hotel. Staff are really friendly and helpful. The room was very comfortable and a modern style. We had a standard room with a window over the courtyard rather than a sea view. A sea view would have been nice but this did mean our room was very quiet. the hotel has a small gym which was well equipped. The best thing about the hotel is the location. A short walk away from a small sandy bay which is a nice escape from the city and also at the end of the tram line so you can avoid the large queues in Union Square. Fishermans Wharf is a short walk away and we mostly ate out at the Ferry Building which is about an hour walk from the hotel but a nice walk along the Embarco. Hotel restaurant was good for breakfast and we enjoyed a few craft beers at Jacks next door which was very good. I would stay again.

Room Tip: If you want a good nights sleep, ask for a room in the middle of the hotel and on a high floor.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Hi, peachangel (how innocent :)!) -
I'm glad the location here was perfect for your daily adventures, and I also love the Ferry Building just down the Embarcadero. There is such a bounty of good local and gourmet cuisine there, and don't get me started on the chocolate store... I'm glad you got to eat and drink the wonderful flavors of the city and then enjoy a very quiet night's rest. Thank you for visiting!

Reviewed July 7, 2014

We have stayed here twice now and it is our favorite hotel in the world to date. Although it welcomes pets (our dog lives in Australian so can't come with us) it is so welcoming, friendly and goes out of its way to help you enjoy your stay. Rooms are very comfortable, evening drinks by the fire are entertaining as you meet so many different people and free :)
Perfectly located close to the tram terminus and the piers.

Please give this hotel a chance, you will not regret it, and yes I am a REAL reviewer.

Where else can you have a complementary drink (or 4) AND travel in a life with a little dog in a pram?

Room Tip: I have stayed a couple of time and all rooms have been fine.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Wow! Thanks, KJSPhotography! It is thrilling to know we are your favorite hotel in the world to date. Thank you so much!
... and, yes, we do have floors for guests with pets, and for those without. Too bad your dog won't be able to come all the way from Australia, though we understand :).

Reviewed July 7, 2014

We stayed at the Argonaut for 4 nights this weekend. To summarize our stay, it was the worst hotel I've ever stayed at (and I travel every other week).

To begin with, we were next door to a room with a shrieking and barking dog for 2 days straight. We complained multiple times to the front desk (even more out of concern for the poor abandoned thing than out of the major annoyance). The front desk told us they tried calling the room and there was no one there so there was nothing they could do. We brought 2 dogs of our own and never received any complaint from anyone.

Fast forward to that evening. We order the overpriced room service cheesecake, and it arrives with dead flies in it!! We called the front desk, who said they'd "attempt" to take it off of our bill. No apology was ever received from the hotel or the restaurant. Also, we tried to order the shells and cheese from the menu only to be told we had an out of date menu and we could only order the things they would list over the phone.

Finally, we paid $50 a night for "valet" parking. The valet system was down for our ENTIRE trip, so retrieving our car was usually a 20-30 minute wait. We were late to or missed all of our dinner reservations.

Our last night, I'd had enough. I called the front desk and asked for a manager. A completely clueless employee (Jennifer was her name) told me there was no night manager. No manager on duty!!! Appalling. I asked her to leave a note for the manager to speak to me the next morning and she said she would. We just checked out, with Jennifer and her hostile coworker (whoever was working in the morning on July 7) who refused to get a manager for us because they didn't want to get up.

This is honestly the worst hotel you could possibly stay at for a pleasurable trip, and it is a disgrace to the beautiful city of San Francisco. I see their manager often replies via Yelp or this site. I've yet to receive any word from the manager, and couldn't get one in person during my stay there. Perhaps you and your staff should spend more time practicing actual customer service and a little less time on the computer. Then there wouldn't be so many complaints to respond to.

• Stayed: July 2014
7  Thank CheyenneConrady

Hello, Ms. Conrady,
I am a bit behind in reviewing the TripAdvisor reviews, and I hope you can forgive my delayed response. We do derive satisfaction and pride from our popularity ranking, and I am glad that this is the first 1-star review I can recall. Obviously, though, there are some consistency and communications inherent here, and we need to do some investigation. I have located your booking details and the front desk manager and I will be getting to the bottom of why we were not alerted to your concerns before they stacked up. I would have loved to contact the dog owner and valet manager about those issues, and I did already speak with the kitchen to look into the cheesecake situation. It is always my goal to pre-empt any problems and then to course correct the ship in those cases we've made a mistake. I regret that we didn't connect during your stay, but please do feel free to call me at your convenience. (I tried to reach out to you by phone, but noticed there is not a number on your reservation record here.) Thank you!

Reviewed July 6, 2014

Came here for the weekend, really nicely decorated place, unique. Room was very nice,view of Ghirardelli Square. Beds where comfortable. Staff was good and attentive. Did have the vale take 25 min to get my car which made us late to dinner, disappointing at a $50 service fee.
I would recommend.

Room Tip: 4th floor is good for view and quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2014

Hello, muykido, and thanks for visiting us! I know that the 4th of July holiday did cause a valet delays around our area, but things should be smooth sailing from here on out. I'm glad you loved the room and the staff was so attentive. They will appreciate your review!