“Good hotel. Fantastic housekeeping! ”

Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel
Ranked #11 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is in a great location on Fisherman's Wharf. It is modern and very clean. The Blue Mermaid was a great place to drink and the happy hour was also very much welcomed. The room was nice although for the price we paid I was expecting more. We didn't have a view at all but then again we hadn't paid for one so no issue there. Only real complaint re room was the noisy air conditioning I would have expected better for such a pricey hotel. All the staff were very pleasant but special thanks to housekeeping who found the clothes I had accidentally left behind and shipped them to my next stop on the vacation. They were very helpful. All round nice hotel in good location.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lmi_77
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2014

Thank you, lmi_77! I have just forwarded a copy of your review to our housekeeping managers to comment them for their help with the lost & found. I know they will enjoy sharing your nice note with their crew as well.
While they can be harder to come by in the summer season, on your next visit you might enjoy trying a Deluxe (city/courtyard view) or View (Golden Gate Bridge/Alcatraz facing) room. We would be happy to look into the HVAC in that room as well. Feel free to drop me a line!

There are newer reviews for Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel

Reviewed June 22, 2014

This is the second time I have stayed at the Argonaught and again I am not disappointed with our stay there.

Our check in was lovely and smooth , we had two rooms a long side each other as we were travelling with friends and the quality of the furnishing has not changed since the last time we stayed there , they are so well maintained that they almost like they have been refurbished but you know they haven't

It is a nice little touch to have the wine tasting every evening in the reception between five and six and although we didn't eat in the restaurant in the evening we ate there for breakfast and it was absolutely lovely , the only things missing this time is that I had waffles and strawberries the last time I stayed there but unfortunately they got rid of the waffle maker and have not replaced it but tried their home made granola and yogurt and it was beautiful and probably better for me.

We had exceptionally good nights sleep and the Hotel is an excellent location at the quieter end of Fisherman's Wharf which I prefer as it is a little busy and I should think could be very noisy

Once again Thank You The staff and the Argonaught Hotel for making our stay so pleasurable

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends

Thanks, sheena1962! It is doubly fun to receive a five-star review from a Top Contributor on this site and a repeat guest. We are delighted that you feel the hotel has been so well maintained; I will make sure to pass this along to the housekeeping and engineering teams.
Other than the prime location at the West end of the Wharf, the other reason for the quiet is that the building was renovated with double-pane glass windows -- priceless!

Reviewed June 22, 2014

Most importantly, our room was very quiet! The entire staff has been very nice. The decor is creative, and the entire hotel smells clean. I would definitely stay here again. The loaner bikes are also a nice touch.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank OutofKontrol

Hi, OutofKontrol,
What a name, it is a wonder Security didn't report you :).
Seriously, though, I am glad you enjoyed such a quiet getaway here with us, and it sounds like you got to take the bikes out for a spin, too! (For those inquiring minds at home, we typically have a half dozen on hand and they are loaned out through the concierge on a first come, first service basis. It can be a great savings, and a wonderful way to explore westward to the Golden Gate Bridge if you are feeling adventurous!)

Reviewed June 22, 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights with friends at the begining of our 2 week "California Dream Tour". After a long flight from the UK this was an ideal start.

Based at Fisherman's Wharf which is a nice place although a little tacky to be honest. Reminds me of an up market Blackpool in some ways....

Anyway the cable car stop is just outside the hotel and the Argonaut is a gem right in the middle of everything. 15 minutes from downtown by cable car which worked well for our group.

Frisco was a little cooler than we had planned so we probably won't stay again if we fly into SF airport again but if you are planning a stay in Frisco then this place is a great place to be located.

Happy hour at 5pm was fun too....

Stayed: June 2014

Hi, Ianjburnett, and thanks to you and your friends for choosing the Argonaut! I'm glad we were a "gem" to you and the location and service were top notch. For our best weather, I must say I recommend September and October :).

Reviewed June 20, 2014

First a big thank you to Emily ( the manager) for the delicious cheese and fruit platter that awaited us upon arrival.

We had requested room 416. That was not available but we were told we could have it after a few days. We liked our 316 room that had a Golden Gate view so stayed put for the 8 nights.

The bay view rooms are great, really spacious and luxurious. They are expensive but heavenly to stay in. The only comment I would make is that at 650 Australian dollars a night, perhaps a light continental breakfast could be included.

There were a couple of minor glitches at the start. Emily came to the fore and addressed same, also sending us a bottle of red wine and delicious Ghirardelli chocolate squares; a nice touch.

The staff are great. A big thank you to Brooke who is a superb Concierge and also to the other Concierges who were really helpful. Thank you also to Cailin, Jennifer and Lauren at reception, John and the other doormen and to the housekeeping staff and the lovely wine reception folk. Anyone I have left out, it is inadvertent...

Very good CS skills on Cailin's part. We had made a call to New York, spent less than a minute on the phone which cost $18 plus. When I expressed surprise at the cost, Cailin immediately offered to discount it by half.

The evening wine reception is excellent. We met so many interesting and fun people during our stay, at the evening receptions.

This hotel is in an excellent location, walking distance from Gary Danko's if you want to treat yourself to a sublime dining experience.

Andersen's bakery around the corner from the hotel on Beach has the most divine pastries, bagels, ganache cake, etc.

We had a truly excellent stay.

Room Tip: Bay view room
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2014

Hi, "lizziebackcourse," and thanks again for visiting us at the Argonaut. It is too funny to see my name in print, famous for all to see here :). I have also shared your review with the other crew members whom you were kind enough to mention by name as well. It is so gratifying to them to learn that their customer service made a lasting impression! Hope to see you again and meet in person on your next visit. Take care.

Reviewed June 20, 2014

Stayed for 3 days with friends and family. Front desk very helpful, even before trip as changed one king size, for two queen sized beds to accomodate my daughter at eleventh hour. We had bay view room, overlooking Alcatraz and main st leading to Fishermans Wharf. Hotel in great location, close to cable and streetcar stops and easy walking distance to most places (if you can cope with the steep hills).
The doormen were very helpful and knowledgeable as was the concierge. Happy hour 5-6pm with free wine and cocktails was nice before shower and dinner. Attached restaurant looked good and quite busy, but never used it.
Room decent size for city, beds were comfy, bathroom small and shower wasn't that great.
All in all, a good stay and would recommend.
I

Room Tip: Choose bay view room for lovely view. We had room 353, was perfect.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends

Hi, spurslass!
Isn't that view fantastic?! It is always hard to choose a favorite among the view rooms: Golden Gate Bridge side or Alcatraz side... a true "first world problem" I suppose!
Anyhow, we're delighted you loved the room and found it to be spacious, and the team helpful. Some of those doormen have been with us a decade, and their Wharf knowledge is pretty neat! I joke with them that they have the best office, and they let me "visit their office" when it's time to escape mine at the back corner of the hotel :).
I hope that next time we can tempt you into the restaurant as you mentioned. Remember guests can receive Chowder Cards through the front desk, which are good for a free cup of their famous Crab & Corn Chowder with any entree. So addictive...

Reviewed June 19, 2014

Excellent location and interesting hotel as it was previously a cannery, and was converted to a hotel in partnership with the national parks service. Room was quite small but was compensated by the fact that we could see the ocean and the Hyde Powell cable car turnaround whilst lying in bed! The staff were very friendly and helpful and we loved the bottle of champagne left in our room to celebrate our wedding anniversary. They have the best 'happy hour' ever with complimentary wine and beer every day - a great chance to chat with fellow guests. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2014

Hi, Brindle, and congrats again on the anniversary! Thanks for spending it with us!
I'm happy you loved the "bonus" view from that room. That's the way our queen rooms work in general: the smaller ones have a neat little view and the ones on the other side of the hotel are a bit larger. Of course, for our famous amounts of space, the kings, queen queens, and suites are the way to go. I also love the soaking tubs in the suites, but those are hard to come by in the summer time ;).