“OK tourist hotel, but issues for a business trip”

Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel
Ranked #11 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 17, 2014

OK this hotel has some great things going for it: right on fisherman's wharf tourist area, very nice staff and pretty decent service. Heavy nautical (tacky if you ask me) themed decorations throughout.
The room rates are very very very high, as are some of the add ons ($48 for valet parking, really!?!)
I had problems with the room; room wasn't ready until 4pm. No biggie they stored my bags. Then first room i went to was noisy and had two beds -- full size, not queen, facing the cable cars. (I has reserved two queen bed)
So I asked for another room, at least a queen bed, or a king room, that was quieter. They gave me a interior facing room, but it smelled like cigarette smoke. I complained again, then they moved me to another interior room, which wasn't smelly.
They took care of me, but it took like an hour to get it all settled.
I ordered breakfast room service on the phone the night before on the phone, as they left no menu door hanger. I told them I needed it at 6am, it didn't show up until I called at 6:30 and they rushed it up. They comped my half the room service charge. They only service complete breakfast after 7:30am...not very business-friendly.

the room was clean, bathroom was clean. bed was pretty comfortable. they have these annoying pump dispensers in the bathroom instead of real soap, shampoo bottles. Felt like a holiday inn express in that regard.
Didn't eat at restaurant.

I've stayed at other Kimptons, that hit the mark better that the Argonaut. It was ok, service was ok....but not for the excessive price.
If you're a tourist and can get a competitive rate, you may like it.

Room Tip: Interior rooms are quiet, rooms with view can be noisy.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

Hi, Noam,

First, thank you for your patience with finding the right room. I can reassure our future guests that all two-bedded rooms do offer two queens (versus the double / "full" size), though the smoke smell is very odd and definitely not okay by our standard. Perhaps someone's nose in housekeeping was off that day?... We certainly hope and expect that your next arrival will be smoother, and we do hope to see you back!

Although hot breakfast items are only available after 7:30am, we do offer the full variety of continental items (bagel, cereal), etc. after 6am and then we hope that the free wifi also helps out our business travelers. While we do enjoy a lot of popularity among the leisure folks, I just love welcoming those in business suits who choose to "hide out" at the waterfront ;).

There are newer reviews for Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel

Reviewed June 17, 2014

We stayed here back in feb ( sorry for late review)
Myself and 3 children.
Check in was easy and the receptionist showed my children the treasure chest to chose a present! Very friendly! And very exciting for the children!
The hotel is immaculate with loads of charm! I love the style!
Our room was stunning! And spacious with a lovely view.Bathroom lovely too with wood beams.
It is in a great location- it's easy to walk along fishermans wharf and to see the piers,shops and lots of restaurants near bye and the food was amazing!
Take the trams- they are cheap and fun.
Breakfast here was great also.
They have a free wine hour with hot choc for kids and hot toddy too.
If you book this hotel you will not be disapointed!
Only slight niggle was when I visited the wine bar for wine tasting ( not sure if it associated to the hotel) the bar tender told me he didn't like English people, I thought he was joking but it was clear he wasn't- his colleague( who was fabulous and very informative of the local wines) even had to tell him to be more attentive.
But all in all we were made very welcome in San Francisco, we can't wait to go back it was such a fabulous holiday.

• Stayed: February 2014

Thank, Michael, and happy anniversary to you both! 40 years is a great achievement. I have already shared your review and kind thanks with the team. We hope to see you at 41 :). Cheers!

Reviewed June 16, 2014

Check in was very good, receptionist very helpful with a lovely greeting, as we missed their wine tasting by 10 minutes we were given 2 complimentary drink vouchers and as we had booked a evening meal we were given complimentary Clam Chowder, when we arrived at our room there was a bottle of fizz with a note saying Happy 40 th Wedding Anniversary, thank you Argonauts, room was brilliant and staff excellent, we would recommend this hotel, brilliant location, don't forget between 5-6 wine tasting & beer lovely touch, if it gets to busy, just retire to your room.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2014

Reviewed June 16, 2014

Used trip advisor to look at honest opinion of this hotel.
The room we were given was inward facing and very dark so we asked I'd they had anything else but was told not until the next day, so we did not unpack and waited until the next day.

We had a couple of options which were much better.

All very clean as you would expect from a quality hotel. All staff were great.

Would be nice to have a few tea bags in the room and maybe fresh milk in the fridge.

The soft furnishings need to be freshened up or covered with something that can be washed ready for the next occupants.

Room Tip: Sea facing for sure!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Thanks, David P!
I'm happy that you loved the location here and that we found a room that worked out well for you. Is there a certain room furnishing that you'd suggest we change? Please feel free to drop me a line! I do see that you felt everything was clean with a great staff, so hopefully that's a good sign. Thank you!

Reviewed June 16, 2014

We have stayed in a number of hotel in the Fisherman’s Wharf area and in our opinion this is the best hotel, especially if you get a room with a view of the Bay. As part of the Kimpton Hotel the standard is very high. The hotel staff are excellent and friendly, and always able to assist, with directions, ideas for places to visit, on a couple of occasions one of the porter saw that we were looking at a map for the Magnolia Brewery and gave us about a dozen more breweries and beer bars around the town. The concierge also assisted with printing out baseball tickets and boarding passes when the terminals dotted around reception were being timed out by the airline.
The rooms are fair size with good amenities this trip we had a room over looking the internal courtyard and a room looking externally is obviously a far better option if you get the choice. (We did not find the room quite as ‘quirky’ as other Kimpton we stayed during our trip where we had a goldfish for the room, a welcome card from the hotel management, card from the house keeping staff, but this is definitely not a reason not to stay here). The hotel is well positioned for Fishermans Wharf and Pier 39 and has the added bonus that if it is really busy that once you enter the hotel it is a sanctuary from the hustle and bustle outside. It is also very close to the cable car turnaround which is good for getting to Union Square but even better for getting back from Union Square in evening when crowds have left and the cable cars are quieter.

Room Tip: Try to get a room looking onto the Bay
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Hi, DavetheAddick!
I adore your Magnolia Brewery/porter story and just shared it with the team. What a great example of thoughtful and genuine caring.
Thank you for sharing and providing us with the five stars!

Reviewed June 15, 2014

Our travel agency recommended us this hotel as some of their previous customers were very satisfied. So we trusted them. And they were right.

From our room we had a direct view to the cablecar turn station. Service was very friendly and all in all the atmosphere was relaxing. A free glas of local red wine in front of the fireplace .. Hmmm ...

The only drawback IMHO is that the hotel has no bar. I don't call it a bar sitting in a restaurant that closes at 9pm. For me a bar has to be cosy and has to open around 9pm :-) But you can go to Jack's cannery bar just two steps away.

If i ever come back to SF i would probably book here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Foxi352

Thanks so much, Foxi352! I'm happy you felt your travel agent made the right pick and that we'll get to see you again! I agree that Jack's is a charming local bar -- with so many beers on tap! -- and I would also recommend Fiddlers Green, a little Irish spot right behind us. When in doubt, there are also Margaritas up at the Mexican restaurant in the courtyard... tempting...

Reviewed June 14, 2014

My sister and I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights and enjoyed our stay immensely. We attended the happy hour on the first day of our stay and the last day. All the other days we were out and about exploring the city. All the staff were very friendly and helpful when we required it. We are very low maintenance, requiring only a comfortable bed in a clean room, with access to ice for our water bottles. This hotel had all that we required.

It is in the best location for visiting Pier 39, Fisherman's wharf and to access the start of the cable car system. It was also close to our hop on hop off tour start, as well as the other public transportation we used. We purchased the 3 day MUNI pass and used it extensively. It took us everywhere we needed to go without having to walk long distances to get our ride.

This hotel is unique, quirky and was fun to stay in.

Room Tip: Room was quiet, we didn't upgrade to a Bay View, we weren't in the room long enough to care...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Thanks, winnipegds!
I'm glad that you enjoyed the local life scooting around the area on foot and using the transit pass! And "quirky" and "fun" is just what we go for. I hope it was a refreshing getaway for you here at the waterfront.