“Lots of character”

Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel
Ranked #11 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 4, 2014

I liked this hotel as it had some character with its nautical theme it was also close to everything you could want for sightseeing. Cable car just around the corner and plenty of other tourist buses etc close by. Lots and lots of restaurants which are all pretty touristy and nothing to shout about but they were all reliable enough. We enjoyed a late night Irish coffee at the famous Buena Vista restaurant behind the hotel and if you eat at the Blue Mermaid try the chowder sampler it is great.
We enjoyed the free wine hour each night and by getting there slightly early always got a good seat. We loved meeting other travellers and if the concierge weren't too busy they would come and chat and talk about your day and travels. There a was a lovely girl, I think her name was Olivia ,who had just started working at the Argonaut and who helped us with some tour decisions and spoke of local spots to visit. I would love to stay at the Argonaut again and explore SF some more.

Room Tip: Rooms on inside have no view but are quiet
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2014

Hello, Gundagirl!

It's great to hear that you enjoyed the charm and history of the Argonaut, and of course the proximity to the Buena Vista's Irish Coffees or our own chowder sampler never hurts :).

I'll make sure to share your review, particularly with Olivia, our new and very sweet concierge. She'll be happy to know her help improved your visit and your lasting memories of our lovely City by the Bay.

Reviewed June 4, 2014

This a lovely boutique hotel right in the heart of Fisherman's wharf and a short stroll to Pier 39, all the staff were extremely helpful without being OTT. The rooms and the hotel are all finished in a nautical theme which creates a great ambience and works really well as the building was one of the orginial canning plants for Del Monte with red brick and pine timbers. The Blue Mermaid restuarant in our opinion was no better than average and there are much better options for both breakfast and main meals elsewhere. I would suggest a room at the front as you will get a few of the wharf but the windows are quite small so don't expect too much.

Room Tip: Second floor front rooms, away from ice machine and elevators!
1  Thank Calhame

Hello, there, Calhame, and thanks for your visit and your review. Always fun to hear from a Senior Contributor to TripAdvisor.
Thanks for mentioning our history. It's funny, as you say, we try to keep the service and design both special without being "Over The Top" since a sense of comfort and ease is so important as well. I think the renovation of our cool brick building really showcased the nautical roots of the Cannery and the neighborhood while maintaining elegance and simplicity, too.
If you're really into the history, I definitely recommend the National Park Service's free museum here at the property, and/or the ranger-led historic tours that commence in our living room at 10:30 a.m. Saturdays and Sundays. Hope to see you next time!

Reviewed June 2, 2014

We recently stayed at this hotel with our two children (10 and 13). The hotel is very central to Fisherman's Wharf and made getting around the city easy. Staff were very nice although they seemed overwhelmed and our room was not ready when we checked in.

Room was nice and the Blue Mermaid was great for breakfast. We would definitely recommend the hotel but it can get crowded and noisy in the area.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the back side of the hotel--or really any side not facing the front.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank KSL65
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2014

Hi, KSL65!
I'm so glad you loved the location here. Normally, things are a bit quieter at this end of the Wharf, and yet you're right near Ghirardelli Square and Aquatic Park (cutest mini beach)! I see that you might have arrived right at that 3pm time when a lot of guests come to the front desk, though I'm glad the team was able to expedite your check-in and show their friendliness throughout your stay. I also prefer different sides of the hotel for different reasons/moods/prices, though I'd say that wherever you are, the key is to sleep with windows closed if you are a light sleeper. Our windows are fantastic, and they shut out all the noise while the shutters block all the light. Just what you want for catching up on zz's!

Reviewed June 2, 2014

We have recently returned from a two week stay at the Argonaut and could not have made a better choice of hotel. Experience has shown us that two weeks at any hotel usually throws up one or two issues at the best of them. Not so with The Argonaut. The room was comfortable and welcoming. The view wasn't the best because we overlooked the middle of the building, but this wasn't a huge problem because we don't spend much time in the room when we're away unless we're asleep! Talking of sleep, the beds were really comfortable and we slept well every night.

The staff were wonderful. All those we spoke to were friendly and helpful. We loved the doormen in their quirky uniforms and the warm welcome they always gave us when returning to the hotel.

We only ate at The Blue Mermaid twice, and it was quite good. I know it's daft staying in Fisherman's wharf when you're not a lover of seafood, but I found the non seafood selection a bit limited. This was a general theme at other restaurants in the area.

We would not consider staying anywhere else in San Francisco if we were to return for another visit.

Room Tip: If you can, ask for a room with a view of the street. The inside rooms face directly onto the rooms...
1  Thank KW2308

Thanks so much, KW2308! I have just shared your review with the team, and I know they will be delighted to read about how their service helped create a seamless experience for you. I am happy you'll be back, and perhaps we can entice you over to our sister restaurant, Pescatore, for some Italian favorites -- or, for that matter, North Beach is a 10-minute walk and offers a variety of Italian restaurants. You can fill up at Trattoria Contadina and then roll down Mason Street :). There is also a variety of other neat California and French options in the Russian Hill area along the other cable car line, and our concierge can help you with booking into some of those smaller places as well. (Can you tell we all love to talk about food?!)

Reviewed June 1, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a long weekend and could not have been more pleased. The hotel is located in a great area-very close to almost everything you could ask for. The rooms were nice sized, very clean and great service. We had a wonderful experience with the concierge desk as well- they were very willing to help with anything we needed! When I come back to the city, I would definitely stay here again!

Hi, Vacationlover22!
I'm so happy to hear that we'll be your hotel of choice when you return to SF! We'll share your praise with the team and let those housekeeping ladies know that their hard work does get noticed! Our concierge staff also loves to know when their recommendations and help with the legwork really make the stay seamless as well. Thanks for your comments!

Reviewed June 1, 2014

I stayed at the Argonaut for 5 nights in April 2014. I liked the quirky, nautical design of the hotel and the location was very convenient. Unfortunately, both the quality of the rooms and service did not deliver as expected.

The rooms are very spacious and sufficiently clean. However, the walls are very thin and you can audibly hear running water through the bathroom pipes at all times. The ventilation system was also very noisy and woke me up at night. Water pressure in the shower was weak and the temperature didn’t exceed lukewarm. The bed was uncomfortable and lighting in the room is very sparse.

The best thing about the hotel is the location on the West corner of Fisherman’s Wharf, which is central but not in the middle of all the crowds. I was hesitant about staying somewhere so touristy but the spectacular Bay views near the hotel instantly put me in holiday mode. The Powell- Hyde line cable car is literally around the corner. The ‘F’ street car, which runs from Fisherman’s Wharf to Castro via Market Street, is a couple of blocks away on Jones Street. Starbucks, In-N-Out Burger, and Walgreen’s, where you can buy a Muni Visitor Pass, are within 2 blocks from the hotel. The hotel attempted to charge me $10 at check-out for the mini-bar, even though nothing had been taken.

I pre-paid a few months in advance so that I could ascertain a cheaper rate and I still don’t believe I received value for money. I stayed at two different hotels in other U.S. cities after my trip to San Francisco, both of which were booked at very similar rates but far exceeded the Argonaut both in quality and service.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank emskii_m

Hello, emz_M!
I totally understand that SF hotel prices can feel a bit steep relative to other U.S. destinations, though we do try to build in value with our location, bike rental program, "Forgot It? We've Got It!" amenity offerings, chowder promotions, wine party, on-site museum, etc... though perhaps we could do more to publicize everything that makes the hotel a great value. Also, many folks don't know about our loyalty club, which includes a FREE newspaper and $10 minibar credit for each eligible stay!
I would love to look into these weird plumbing issues, too. We don't have issues here with running out of hot water or losing water pressure, though perhaps there is a particular valve that was having issues in your room. Feel free to drop me a line with the room number if you have a moment; we'd appreciate the chance to diagnose or ensure the problem is resolved!
Thank you.

Reviewed May 31, 2014

We stayed for three nights. I was interested in staying at Fisherman's Wharf, and the trip advisor reviews helped me pick this hotel. However, we were on a West Coast trip from Seattle to San Diego, and I was booking hotels a day or two in advance, and unfortunately, this hotel was not available which was very disappointing. However, the morning we left, I checked again and there was availability, so I was able to book the three nights.

I sure was lucky, as this was a great boutique hotel. The location was awesome and the beds were super comfortable. The concierge came through when we found out that Alcatraz was not available and she steered us to a vendor who had 5 tickets left. We had to pay more than the normal price, but he threw in 2 hour biking and a city tour as well.

The lobby was very comfortable and had a fireplace going all day. The restaurant at the hotel was the blue mermaid and the food did not disappoint.

If you happen to stay here, and want some ice cream, don't bother walking over to Ghiardelli Square or Ben and Jerry's next door. In the court yard is Normans, and their sundae's are to die for. That was also recommended by the concierge and rated highly by Fodor's and Trip Advisor.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Frank L

Thanks so much, Frank L! I have shared your review with our (ice-cream-fanatical) concierge and she will be glad to know you enjoyed Alcatraz and the visit overall. Thanks for trying out our very own Blue Mermaid restaurant, too; I'm happy you enjoyed the meal, and no doubt tried the famous crab & corn chowder...?