“Nice hotel in Fishermans wharf area ”

Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel
Ranked #11 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

Just stayed 5 nights in FW area & hotel was excellent. Great location & very helpful hotel staff.

Had a king deluxe room which was relatively roomy for a city hotel. Very comfortable bed & linens.

Overall would return to this property & room type.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2014

Thanks, JosephL! We're flattered that you will be heading back this way to enjoy one of our King Deluxe rooms again in the future. If you haven't already enjoyed the views of the history Del Monte Cannery Courtyard, that is a nice option to request in that category. And speaking of the history, I hope that you got a chance to visit the friendly park rangers at their (free!) museum next door?

Reviewed May 17, 2014

This hotel has been decorated brilliantly with nautical decor. The rooms are big and comfortable, the staff are friendly and helpful and we loved the free wine tasters every evening.
The hotel is in a great situation on the Wharf and within a few minutes walk of Pier 69, The cable car turnaround and other attractions.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TogComo

Thanks, TogComo! I love the nautical decor here, too. I think the designers struck that perfect balance where there is a sense of place here at the waterfront, but nothing feels too "over the top." Of course we can't resist offering the local ANCHOR Steam beer at our wine party, and stay tuned for the summertime cocktail that Kimpton hotels will debut across our lobbies at the end of the month!

Reviewed May 17, 2014

My husband and I had a four day stopover on our way from NZ to UK and were very pleased with the hotel. We had a lovely view of the bridge and the cackle car queues!
Our room was not ready on arrival so we went to have some lunch in the restaurant and the chowder was delicious and complimentary.
We didn't take advantage of happy hour as we were always out but it looked very sociable.
Concierge were very helpful booking tickets for us to save queuing at the Academy of Science.
I highly recommend this hotel and, if I ever visit SF again, I would stay here.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Norma T,
How I LOOOVE to receive such praise from one of TripAdvisor's Senior Contributors! Thank you!
I'll have to make sure to tell the concierge team that their help made the difference at the Academy of Science, and we'll share your compliments with the chef! His crab & corn chowder is the top award-winner, though I also like to recommend the sampler platter.
We will always guarantee rooms ready by the 3pm check-in time, and if we can't make an early check-in request happen, we are always happy to store luggage and tempt folks with the Blue Mermaid restaurant's offerings ;).

Reviewed May 17, 2014

This hotel was an option given by our agent Bon Voyage Travel & Tours who arranged a bespoke road trip for us from San Francisco to Las Vegas
We checked with Trip Advisor and after reading only the bad comments, (some people are either looking for faults or just mean spirited), we told the agent to go ahead
The Argonaut was an excellent hotel ideally placed, a leisurely walk to Fishermans Walk. It was spotless clean with large bed & room. There was and a reasonably priced restaurant where complementary continental breakfast was served.
We occupied a room to the right of the front which gave us a view of the cable car terminus and Golden Gate Bridge. This was our first visit to San Francisco and if we were ever to return would have no hesitation of staying there again.
We don’t know what the hotel cost but certain guide books says it in excess of £250 it was well worth it and gave us a great start to our road trip.
While staying in San Francisco we travelled the cable cars ,took a open top bus with guide showing all the sights , eat in different restaurants, and took a boat trip under the Golden Gate Bridge and around Alcatraz. We had no wish to actual go to Alcatraz but we understand that many will.
Oh and thanks BA for a great flight

Room Tip: Get a room on the right hand side of the entrance
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Hello, David16749,
I'm so jealous! It sounds like your travel agent took great care in arranging your custom road trip, and we're tickled pink (or navy?!) to hear that the Argonaut was a highlight. I'm glad the location and views were just as you'd hoped. I also adore the Hyde Street side of the property overlooking the park, miniature beach, and Golden Gate Bridge. For traveling under the bridge by yacht, I love to recommend sailboat cruises such as the Adventure Cat. Nothing quite like looking up at the Bridge from below!
Thanks so much for contributing as a Senior Reviewer!

Reviewed May 17, 2014

The Argonaut is located right at Fishermen's wharf and decorated around the maritime theme. The area itself is very touristy and not at all upmarket. Difficult to find any nice bars and restaurants in the area. The restaurant & bar of the hotel closes at 9:00 pm...

The hotel itself doesn't look bad, if you like the theme of it. Rooms aren't bad either. It's in the details where it lacks. Rooms are dark, and many of them don't offer any view. Lighting is sparse. No light switches on the walls, just those cumbersome sticks right on the lamps. Electric socket in bathroom didn't work.

For a place that at a first glance looks quite nice, it's surprising how little I enjoyed staying there. If you are looking for a hotel close to the waterfront and like touristy areas, you might actually enjoy The Argonaut. If you appreciate a little bit of sophistication, chances are you won't like it much.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Michael-Traveller-JP

Hello, Michael-Traveller-JP,
I see that something didn't come together with the experience for you here, and I sure wish I could wind back the clock! I know the San Francisco waterfront can get busy at times, though the good news is that's because there is so much to see and do here, and hopefully that made the trip convenient for you?
If you head back our direction, the concierge team and I would love to find some top dining experiences for you. Gary Danko is a popular choice (two blocks uphill on North Point Street), or up the hill just a tad further I am hearing great things about Seven Hills restaurant. I know seafood isn't for everyone, so that would be a great Italian option. Anyhow, to keep this short, please know that we are here for you if there is anything special we can do to make your next stay a delight!

Reviewed May 16, 2014

Very nice hotel. Rooms are clean and updated. Restaurant Blue Mermaid is awesome. Wine hour was fun. Very close to all at the warfare and cable car to get around. We visit SF frequently and love staying there

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank lspalmer

Thanks, ispalmer! We are grateful for your loyalty. I hope you've signed up for our (free!) membership club, Kimpton InTouch, to take advantage of some of the loyalty perks? We like to offer members a free "Raid the Bar" credit, newspaper, wifi, etc.... I won't drone on since all the info is online if you have a moment to check it out!
Meanwhile, I'll share your kudos with the housekeeping team and Blue Mermaid restaurant. Hope to see/meet you at the next wine hour ;) -- take care!

Reviewed May 16, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights after a weeks cruise in Hawaii. Perfect location in Fishermans Wharf. Easy for trams, trolly cars etc. The room was large, nicely decorated, spotless and the bed very comfortable. The bathroom was well presented and had nice fluffy towels. Ample storage, including a large wardrobe. It was nice to have a safe which was large enough to hold IPAD, kindles, wallets etc. The complimentary wine between 5pm and 6pm was a lovely touch.
The In-house Blue Mermaid restaurant serves excellent food. We had an issue on 1 of our evenings which I have to say was handled very professionally by Emily the AGM and was resolved very quickly to our complete satisfaction - thanks Emily!
We look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank mmcra11

mmcra11,
Wow, I see I am famous :). Thanks so much for your kind words.
It's funny, not having used the in-room safe myself, I hadn't thought about how large they are, and indeed that is very important in today's times of pads/pods/tablets/etc/etc :). We are also hoping that the huge multi-source outlet on the desk helps folks to keep everything charged and ready to go! Anyhow, I digress!....I'll make sure to share your praise with the restaurant and housekeeping teams. I'm glad that you felt cared for and we will look forward to hopefully seeing the four of you back in the future!