“Great hotel in a great location”

Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel
Ranked #15 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 26, 2014

The Argonaut was the first stop for us on this trip to the US. We have friends and family in Berkeley and San Rafael but love the city so much we like to spend a few days on our own as "real" tourist before we meet up with them.

We wanted to stay on Fisherman's Wharf this time and looked at all the usual big chain hotels and found The Argonaut quite by mistake. We had never heard of Kimpton Hotels and the last time we were in SF the Argonaut didn't exist. Thank goodness we found it!!! It's a gem.

We used Lorries Transfer service from the airport as the hotel recommends them. The transfer went very smoothly and we were met at the hotel by the Concierge and registered easily and quickly. All the staff were friendly, helpful and courteous.

We had booked a bay view room and had asked for a quiet room on the top floor which is what we got. The view over to Alcatraz was great even though it did rain for most of the 4 days we spent in SF!!! The rooms are just like the photos on the web site. Ours was well equipped, large and very comfortable with a lovely bath/shower room.

The Cable Car stops right outside the hotel so it's very convenient for getting into and around the city at any time of the day and up to about midnight. Buy a Muni day, 3 day or 7 day pass, it WILL save you money.

The hotel has a wine tasting every night from 5 to 6 o'clock and provide hot chocolate in the mornings and iced water in the foyer area all day. Very nice. We found the wine tasting a great way of meeting people from all over the world. We had some very interesting conversations and collected a few friends along the way!! What a great idea of Kimptons.

We had a continental breakfast included in our rate but could buy extra items if we wanted a bigger breakfast. All very nicely served and tasty. We didn't have an evening meal in the hotel but other people were saying it was very good.

Little extras like plasters (which I did use!!!), chocolates, drinks, nuts and other snacks, etc were nice touches as were the umbrellas in every room. Also very useful for our stay!!!!!

All the staff were eager the help and give advice about transport, places to eat and drink, directions, etc.

I can't speak too highly of this hotel and the way it's run. We don't often go back to the same destination twice but SF is different. It's our favourite city and with friends and family living there we love to go back. However, we also don't like to stay in the same hotel twice. This could be the exception but maybe we would try another Kimpton Hotel. If they are all as good this one then we would be very, very happy.

Thanks to all the staff and management at The Argonaut and keep up the good work.

Room Tip: Room with a view of the Golden Gate Bridge on a high floor. Perfect.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank FarquiH
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2014

Wow, thanks, FarquiH! It is us who should be thanking you.
I am delighted that you found Kimpton Hotels and -- yes -- we do have several to try around the city (and more than 60 nationwide!), though of course we'll hope to see you again at the Argonaut. Check out our loyalty club if you have a chance. Kimpton InTouch is free to join and there are a lot of extra little perks (in addition to those you've already enjoyed :). )

Write a ReviewReviews (5,990)

Reviewed March 26, 2014

Loved this hotel, loved the decor of the hotel and room. Hotel right on the front by the sea, fisher mans wharf a perfect place to stay. Hotel was 2 min walk from tram. We visited in June, and it was windy, so pack so, pack something warm! Staff were warm and friendly. Bike shop close to hotel, This is a must to see the city and ride across the Golden Gate Bridge.
Hotel was perfect for what we wanted: location, clean, good quality. Fantastic

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks, Foster K! I am pleased to hear you enjoyed life here at the waterfront. For bike rental, keep in mind we do have multiple (first come, first served) bikes for free rental right here from the hotel concierge. It's a great way to get out over the Golden Gate Bridge to explore Sausalito and take in the incredible views. Or, you can be lazy like me and just ride the ferry. I definitely recommend seeing the view of the city either way ;).

Reviewed March 25, 2014

We only stayed one night at The Argonaut so our ability to comment fully is limited, however we were very happy with our one day/night. Kimpton hotels always have a unique character to them and this one is no exception with a Nautical theme throughout. Our room was excellent - the only downside was some noise leaking in from the next room's phone conversation.
Location is pretty good although very touristy. The SF street car stop is a few minutes away and gets you into the centre (Market/Powell) in under 30 minutes. Cable car is also close and there are also plenty of bicycles for hire.
Would definitely stay here again and explore the hotel/area further.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

Thanks, CMB13! I'm happy that you loved your short stay and will come back to relax for a longer visit next time. If you haven't yet, I'd definitely recommend taking the free bike rentals over to Sausalito via the Golden Gate Bridge. Or, the ferry boat for those among us who are less athletic :). We will make sure to show you a good time in our lovely city by the bay!

Reviewed March 25, 2014

For my birthday I decided to have a weekend in the city with the whole family (hubby + two minis, 4 & 9), and this seemed like it would be the perfect place for our night away. Being a local, I don't usually go for the touristy spots, but this is a Kimpton hotel, and the rooms are BIG, and it's a very cool building. We got a bay view room with a view of Alcatraz (I'm a big fan... yes, of a prison), and as Kimpton InTouch members, the perks were great: free Wi-Fi so my son wouldn't have to extract his head from his iPad games, and $10 for the mini bar which we immediately used for snacks before dinner. And because it was my birthday, they had a bottle of chilled champagne and truffles for the grown-ups, and cookies for the kids!

We didn't spend anytime at Fisherman's Wharf (not my speed), but the location is great. We parked our car for the night, and Ubered around town (dinner, a stroll at dusk on the marina... lovely).

One of the best parts; I woke up Sunday morning with all the little people still asleep, and walked around the corner to ring in my birthday with an Irish coffee at the Buena Vista. That alone makes this the best hotel location EVER.

Room Tip: Make sure you join the Kimpton loyalty program (for free) to get some great perks.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Hi, and happy birthday, estockton! I just love the image of you kicking of the next year ahead with Irish Coffee across the corner at the Buena Vista Cafe. Well done! I'm glad you enjoyed the bubbles from the hotel team and all the little Kimpton InTouch perks as well. Hope to see you next time!

Reviewed March 24, 2014

We stayed at the Argonaut Hotel in January 2014. This is a great location, right in front of the Hyde Street Pier along the waterfront. The cable car turn-around and Ghirardelli's in also about a two minute walk. This place is very kid-friendly. They made my two boys feel like superstars every time we entered or left the hotel.

We originally had booked the Triton hotel, but decided to book the Argonaut because of the Fisherman's Wharf location. We are glad we did. The hotel is also quiet at night, which is important with two young kids. The rooms are quite large, so there is a bit of room to spread out.

The only down-side (which may be an up-side to others) is the very loud wine reception in the lobby every evening. You can't hear yourself think when walking through it, but then again, we are not wine-drinkers and were there for a family get away.

Room Tip: This is quite a large hotel, so if you are not able to walk long distances, I would ask for a room c...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank EBrooke
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Thanks, EBrooke! I'm glad the family enjoyed life here at the waterfront. I know the wine party can be more social than some are looking for, but please know that you can always pick up a drink (including sparkling cider for non-drinkers) and bring it to your room. As you said, there is enough space there to unwind for a bit to reflect on the days adventures before dinner! We hope to see you all the next time you head to SF. Take care!

Reviewed March 24, 2014

I believe that rooms overlooking the pier and bridge are worth the price, but other than that it's not worth paying such high price for B&B style room. I really wanted to like this hotel, it was our second visit to SF and we wanted to book this hotel the first time, but it was full then. However it turned out to be just an average hotel.
We got room in 3rd floor facing the side, room was huge but very dark and somewhat felt empty (only one writing desk and one armchair, no sofa or table). AC/heating was noisy even when turned off, I could not sleep at all. Water pressure in shower was really bad, took forever to wash my hair. Reference pictures during booking showed sink with marble desk, but what we got was small sink and small wooden table, it felt like in cheap B&B (check the photos). Hotel provides free wi-fi but signal is so bad we ended up using 3G instead.

Good point is that staff were all very friendly during our arrival, check-in and even when I complained. After complaining about noise and water pressure we were given option to move to different room (facing inside = downgrade) or room price adjustment. We took the price adjustment and the guy at reception offered me some camomile tea and ear plugs :-).

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Hi, UneChargone,
Thanks for coming all the way to us from the Czech Republic! I can see from the photographs that you were staying in a Deluxe ADA (handicapped-accessible) room. Those few are the only ones with the mounted sinks shown. If you did not reserve this room type, let me know and I'll be happy to see what was "lost in translation" with the agent. I see this may also be a case closed as I see that the front desk team took care of your concerns. I'm happy that you were delighted by their service. I hope that we will see you again, perhaps for a Bay View booking.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

My wife and I have been traveling around the US for about a month now and this hotel rates with some of the nicest. From the moment we arrived the staff made us feel very welcome. Special thanks to Stephen who was first to greet us and have a treat for our dog Keisha.
Everything from the rooms to the fitness center was first rate. And the daily happy hour (free by the way) in the main lobby is not to be missed.
Security is always an issue when you are in a big strange city. But the area that the hotel is in felt very safe. Even when we were walking our dog at 5 am in the park next door.
But you are also right beside the pier so there is never a lack of things to do right out front your door.
Parking is always an issue in a large city and San Francisco is no different. The parkade that the hotel uses charges about $40 a night and for my big truck (oversized) it was $60. But that's life in the big city.
We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask to stay on the 4th floor. This is the top and you don't have to worry about sound from above...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Farenheit451,
I'm so glad that Stephen and his dog treats set a great tone for your stay, and of course the park next door is welcoming at all hours, and to the two- and four-legged both. Quite a view of the Bridge, isn't it? I always like to recommend a little stroll on that cute beach. Thanks for visiting!