“Excellent location, great staff.”

Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel
Ranked #10 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
“Excellent location, great staff.”
Reviewed November 1, 2013

This is a really great hotel. Staff are outstanding, in particular, Blase on reception was exceptional. Breakfast is first class. Our room was well equipped and offered a good view of Alcatraz.

It's right next to the cable car turnaround, so it's really easy to get public transport to the rest of the city.

The icing on the cake is "compulsory" free drinks between 1700 and 1800 in the lobby. I haven't come across this before and it surprised me how many people we got to know that otherwise we'd never have spoken to.

Only mild criticism is room 411, one of the king suites, is above Starbucks which opens at 0500. The Starbucks staff appear to start setting up at 0430 when my wife and I were woken by them moving supplies around and playing music. To their credit, the hotel staff moved us as soon as we spoke to them about it. I suggest that the hotel management needs to do something about this as 411 is an incredible room, but I wouldn't stay in it again unless the Starbucks problem was resolved.

An outstanding hotel with outstanding staff. I'd be delighted to visit again.

Room Tip: Avoid the corner of Hyde Street and Beach Street - this was noisy throughout the night. Avoid room 4...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Hello and thank you, James E!
I heard about that little morning jam session in Starbucks and did reach out to the regional manager. She trained the new shift leader to never turn the music up like that again, and all has been smooth sailing since! Thank you for bringing it to our attention while you were here so that we could fix the problem.
Thanks also for the high praise of the wine party and of Blase, our longtime character here at the front desk. We'll make sure to share your review with him :).
Cheers!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,106)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Portland, Maine
Reviewed November 1, 2013

We loved this hotel - friendly staff, spacious rooms, quiet, but near transportation and the waterfront. We would definitely stay there again - has personality, different than a typical chain hotel, made both my teenage daughter and my mother happy!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Well, TRichards19, I am terribly upset: I cannot believe that a guest from my own hometown passed through our doors and I don't think I had the chance to meet you!
At least you and the family loved the visit, so perhaps we'll see you back here in the future. In the meantime, give my best to Maine!
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

Our family stayed here for four days at the end of our USA holiday. We loved it, as did our children.
Great location, wonderful and helpful staff (even booked our basketball tickets and printed them out for me!) and family friendly.
A pool would have been great though, my only criticism to an otherwise terrific stay.

Stayed October 2013
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thanks, Emmakira! I'm thrilled that your family had such a great time. The historic preservation guidelines we follow for the National Park Service would make it difficult to add a pool here, but it is a riot to see how many folks of all ages brave the ocean waters here at the Aquatic Park -- yipes! I will be happy to watch from the beach. With a picnic.
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

Booked this place from reading trip advisor reviews. We weren't disappointed! Hotel is clean, spacious and has character..... It's right on Fishermans Wharf so has a nautical theme to it. Rooms are large enough with huge bed. We had a room facing onto other rooms and flat roof.... No view but you're in a city, you're not going to be living in the room! The location is outstanding.... Right on the doorstep of some great seafood restaurants and bike rental shop.... Would definetly return next time we're in San Fran

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Hi, Mayo-Ire, and thanks for the five-star praise!
We are pretty lucky here, because most buildings with character like this don't have such big rooms. I'm glad the lack of view from the standard room was no issue since you were out and about exploring everything nearby. If you do ever want to experience a city or bay view, we do have those room types as well. It's getting dark out so early now, though, isn't it!? Great time of year to tuck into those beds with room service chowder and a leopard print robe!!
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Many of the Fisherman's Wharf hotels are crusty and dated. The Argonaut is one of the quirky and cute Kimpton properties. The rooms are comfortable and the staff is wonderful. Thanks to the staff for taking care of a noisy and unruly guest. This hotel is a runner's dream with a great running path outside your door. Last time I was here, I ran the Golden Gate Bridge. Shopping is convenient too as the streetcar is right outside the door and goes to a Union Square. To the manager: thanks for the awesome chocolate truffles! You get an "A".

Room Tip: If you are concerned about noise, you can get an inside room. Outside rooms have a nice view, but y...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Slowrunnerpdx
Hi, there, slowrunnerpdx!
I am a no-runner, so I will have to take your word for it that the hotel is a runner's dream :). Walking is quite enough for me, thank you! Though, it is tempting to rent a bike one day and cross over the Golden Gate Bridge into Sausalito. Keep in mind we do offer a half dozen free bike rentals on a first come, first served basis each day.
I will also share your kudos with the staff and with our chef. I'm happy his (amazing) dark chocolate treat helped make me look good :).
Werribee, Australia
Reviewed October 29, 2013

This hotel is fantastic. The location was great, the Doormen were friendly to anyone who walked past whether they were hotel guests or not. The rooms were very spacious and lovely and bright.
The Argonaut very kindly stored some luggage for us while we travelled to LA which was a great help to us. The staff could not have been more helpful with tourist attractions, tours and anything we needed to make our stay enjoyable. We will recommend this hotel to anyone and will definately return ourselves.

Room Tip: The room was fantastic. The only thing I would request next time is a room closer to the front of t...
Green Features: Lots of enviro-friendly practices in place. They have done very well in this area.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Hi, Kathryn T! I will give your high fives to the doormen and the rest of the team here. I'm glad their help made the journey that much for convenient and cozy. The location we can't really claim as much credit for, but sometimes we do feel like we have our only little secret nook in the middle of everything yet totally off the beaten path!
Newbury Park, California
Reviewed October 29, 2013

We chose this hotel when we were here in August for our anniversary and had such a wonderful time that we will be back again for my birthday/Thanksgiving!
We loved the view room, all the pleasant employees, great location and of course the close proximity to the Buena Vista. It was fun just walking across the street to catch the cable car!
Looking forward to staying with you again!

Room Tip: Ask for a view room!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cwilkecat
Yay! Thanks for your rave review, cwilkecat! The team will be so happy to hear you loved the anniversary getaway so much you'll be back to see us again. Repeat guests are a privilege, and make the experience of working here that much more fun for our crew.
Cheers and see you next month!