“5 Star Experience”

Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel
Ranked #13 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

Large clean room with maritime theme. Befitting considering its great location. Hyde-Powell cable car terminates next to the hotel, bus lines stop a block away,restaurant & shopping options are plenty. The best part is that there's a nice park next to the hotel and beach front is just minutes walk away.

We stayed on the 2nd floor and can hear the street noise but it's not so loud that we can't sleep. If you have kids with you, they even deliver a gold fish in aquarium to your room as a travel pet for the children, cute.

Would highly recommend this hotel anytime.

• Stayed: October 2013
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Thanks, Harister! I'm glad that you and the kids had a great time with us here at the waterfront. The goldfish friends are a fun thing to request -- regardless of guest age! I hope you got to enjoy the wine and non-alcoholic sparkling cider at our nightly reception as well? I imagine everyone would enjoy meeting a family from Copenhagen!

Write a ReviewReviews (5,934)

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Having been to SF 20 years ago we are determined to return and picked this hotel as the location looked ideal, we weren't disappointed. The hotel is a 'boutique' style in an old reclaimed building on the edge of Fishermans wharf & they have made a really good job of the conversion.

We opted for a 'view' room & asked for the top floor, there are only four. We had a fantastic view of the Golden Gate bridge ( when the fog clears ) so it's well worth upgrading. The rooms are a good size and have a nautical theme to compliment the area. The furnishings are very comfortable with super beds. The staff are really helpful & the hotel has a very friendly feel.

With plenty restaurants close and a Starbucks in the same building there is plenty choice on the doorstep.

The wonderful SF trams, a must for any visitor, are at the side of the hotel giving great access to downtown.

If you want a quality hotel in a great location with transport links to downtown go to the Argonaut

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Omey23
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Thanks, Omey23!
An A+ is our goal, so I'm thrilled that you loved the stay, and the location lived up to all expectations! Did you get to "Live Local" at some of the neighborhood spots like the Buena Vista or, on the less well-known side, the Codmother Fish truck or the more formal Frascati restaurant? What better way to arrive at dinner than on a cable car, right?! When in SF -- and staying just next door to the starting point -- it is a "must" to ride this historic monument!

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Had a great time great hotel great free beer and wine every night 6 till 7 really nice staff helpfull and pleasent rooms well stocked with everything you might need from band aids to headache pills wine beer and even condoms and lube. Hotel in great situ right on the wharf close to golden gate fish bars ghiradilli chocolate factory the famous bush man shops and easy accesses to trams.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank paxton7
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Thanks Paxton7! It's wonderful to hear the Argonaut made your celebration seamless, and you got to enjoy the little conveniences and the fine at our nightly wine party (5-6pm). Please know that if you join up with your loyalty club (for free!), you also get to enjoy $10 off the minibar or the "real bar" in our very own Blue Mermaid restaurant. Another good perk for you to enjoy!

Reviewed October 20, 2013

We booked this hotel as part of a tour for our 25th wedding anniversary. It's in a great location for seeing everything you need to in San Francisco. We enjoyed the wine tasting evenings and the room was comfortable, only our view was looking on to another building. The walls also are very thin, need I say more, hearing everything next door! So won't give my room number. Staff were brilliant and helpful. The decor is very nautical which fits in nicely with its location. Thanks for a great stay.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi, there, Global_Ant,
If you do decide to drop us a line with your room number, we'll take a look into that noise issue. Also, our exterior rooms should be just as quiet as standard rooms, so you might enjoy one of those types with a view of the city/Del Monte historic courtyard. We can explain some options to you when you're back from the 26th year anniversary :). I'll share you thanks with the team for the "great stay" and hope to see you again!

Reviewed October 19, 2013

The Argonaut Hotel is located in a good spot! short walk to Fisherman's Wharf, Ghiaraldi Square, as well to the Trolley. Numerous Restaurants in walking distance. The rooms are spacious and reasonably priced (Californias Hotel tax is a killer however) The Staff from the Front desk to the cleaning Staff were all friendly and helpful. From 5-6 PM daily they offer free wine/beer in the Lobby.
The Blue Mermaid while their Clam Chowder was good they are very pricey. Suggest if you don't mind walking a block or two you can get a cheaper breakfast then $40.00 for two people!!
Overall would definately stay there again and recommend it to others.

Room Tip: King bed was awesome, view not worth the extra
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi, BadDawgBob!
Thanks for the five stars - great to see that the location was spot-on for you and everyone from the front desk to the housekeepers gave you that feeling of welcome and comfort. We take pride in boutique hotel service here, and it's nice to hear when we achieve our goals!
I know the city hotel tax is a killer, but SF is so worth it as a destination, don't you think? It steals your heart! Also, while the restaurant here can be pricey for the crab omelette etc., it is possible to save a bit with the smaller a la carte items (their oatmeal is strangely amazing!)

Reviewed October 19, 2013

The staff at the hotel are really lovely. They were very helpful with all of my questions. The concierge helped me to book my airport shuttle. There is a free wine reception from 5-6 and there is a lovely fire place. The hotel is themed but it is quite cute and makes it a bit different from the other hotels I have stayed in. When I checked in Lauren looked to see if they could offer me an upgrade, sadly there wasn't one available for my whole stay so I stuck with my original room. The room had a really bad use of space and there wasn't a full length mirror. The robes provided were a little on the tacky and scruffy side, I would have preferred a regular fluffy robe. The room was on street level and it was noisy! Every morning we got woken up by people right outside the window or rubbish trucks collecting the trash. It was really irritating. I guess there isn't a lot the hotel could do about that but it was a pretty crap room for that reason. Ask for a room that isn't on Beach Street. If you don't like touristy locations don't stay here. It is a bit out of the way for walking anywhere. The public transport is easy to navigate and there is a cable car stop right next to hotel and lots of busses that go to all different neighbourhoods. I liked the location personally but my friend found it far too touristy. When my friend's airport shuttle didn't turn up, John, the doorman called the shuttle company and got them to promise to pay for her taxi, he then made sure she got a taxi that took visa. It was a shame he was working alone as it was really busy and because he was so busy I felt it was hard for him to pay proper attention to his guests. Overall a nice stay just a shame about the noisy, badly laid out room.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Beach are noisy. Get something facing the wharf or sacrifice a view and get an internal...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Hi, Deborah Caroline,
I'm glad that the crew here--especially Laureen and John--showed a real empathy and commitment to your satisfaction. I just wish we could have gotten to the bottom of that noise issue or gotten your room switched during your stay! As you mention, we have a whole variety of rooms. I personally really like the deluxe courtyard-side rooms, but I know everyone has their preferences. I'd be happy to help make sure you get a room layout and location you love next time -- just drop us a line, and we'll hope to make it up to you! Thank you!

Reviewed October 18, 2013

First the good stuff: we loved San Francisco and the hotel. The room was nice, the staff friendly and 5 o'clock wine was brilliant. But for me the good stuff has been overtaken by you ignoring my emails regarding returning to me $300 that you took on my MasterCard as a guarantee for incidentals. We stayed on October 1st thru 3rd, and still we await the return of our money. Actually a response to our emails would have been nice. We have since stayed at 3 other hotels in California and not had to wait over 2 weeks for the funds to be released. I have now escalated this to MasterCard. This has spoiled our view of your hotel. If you are interested my name is Michael power.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pouletmaison
Emily G, Owner at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Hello, Mr. Power,
What a mixed situation! I am thrilled that you loved the room, staff, and wine party, but of course I am very saddened to see that an issue with your Mastercard has turned the good experience upside down. Very unfortunate, and I would like to investigate why you did not receive a response to your emails. I will be looking into all of this with our accounting team today to see if they have a record. If the hold is still pending, please reach out to me directly because I see we do not have your contact information on the booking (due to it coming through a travel agency). I would be happy to make this my personal project!