“Great location at Fisherman's Wharf” 4 of 5 bubbles

Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel
Ranked #12 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States
“Great location at Fisherman's Wharf”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

The Argonaut has a great location on Fisherman's Wharf. You are close to everything (trolley care next door, Buena Vista Café with its famous Irish coffee, Pier 39, etc.). Despite it being on a relatively busy stretch of the Wharf, the hotel and rooms are quiet. The staff, including a full time concierge with great restaurant recommendaitons, is helpful and friendly. You certainly feel welcome. The hotel has a nautical theme which is a bit cheesy but fun. Our room was clean and large, probably bigger than we needed. The only drawback is that you are required to use expensive valet parking in which the cars are kept off-site which means you're paying a bunch of money ($45 a night) to wait 15 minutes to get your car.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Hi, Dan G!
I know parking in SF's prime areas is a bummer, but I'm glad you found the location was big benefit overall, and the concierge helped connect you to so much fun and tasty stuff around our immediate area. I'm thrilled to read you felt welcome since that is our top priority! We'll share your kind words with the team. Cheers!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,062)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights and from the moment we arrived until we left the service had been excellent. During our holiday from the UK we have stayed in 5 star hotels in Las Vegas and Los Angeles. This is by far the best.
Hotel immaculately clean. Staff very friendly, knowledgeable about city and helpful.
Really enjoyed the complimentary glass of wine between 5-6pm. So welcoming after a long day sightseeing.
Would highly recommend this hotel when staying in San Francisco.
Thank you.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Bebholl
Thanks, Bebholl! The competitive part of me just loves to hear that we beat out all those five-star hotels on your route to win "best in show" :). The team here loves to share local tips and tricks with our guests, so I'm glad that you enjoyed talking with them, and meeting people at our festive wine reception! Summer sangria is the way to my heart...
boston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

The staff was excellent, the restaurant food marginal, the clam chowder had a whole clam shell in it! Imagine what my dental bill would be if I thought it was part of the soup? The waiter trying to make lite of it said they always put one in the chowda.The room with a king bed is so small ( about 110 sq ft) you couldn't put a cot in it? I asked for one as a relative was making a 6 hour drive to visit us unexpectedly. I was told it would be a fire hazzard as the room was so small. They also forget to tell you about the view from the room? As a former fireman, the view reminds me of a prison court yard! Nothing but windows and sky and they have many rooms with this view.

Room Tip: "Make sure the room doesn't have a court yard view!"
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank solair1945
Hello, Solair1945,
Thanks for reaching out with your concerns via Tripadvisor, our Kimpton Loyalty Desk, and our guest survey. I am disappointed to learn that we let you down. I am reviewing your clam shell concerns with the restaurant GM, and with the Executive Chef as soon as he's back from his vacation. As for the room, it is true that our historic footprint here means the rooms are different sizes, but they are still well above average for the city. Many are even bigger than our studio apartments, but I guess that's the price we pay to live in the city by the bay :).
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Nice hotel, but small rooms. Location is very convenient if you want to walk to tourist things. A little too crowded on the streets. Took cab to restaurants as we didn't want to eat tourist food in the neighborhood.

Room Tip: Not sure where the best rooms are as we did not have one. We had a sliver of a view of the bay, but...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Bellarae3
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thanks, Bellarae3,

I'm happy that you loved the convenience of our location, though I have to put in a good word for some of the local restaurants, especially Kimpton's Blue Mermaid and Pescatore, which are both tasty. There are a couple of other great seafood spots along the water, and if you head a little farther down the Embarcadero or south into Russian Hill you'll find even more options. Many of our visitors also love to stroll into North Beach for a taste of authentic Italy. I skip right to the gelato...
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

We arrived 3 nights in May 2013 at the start of a 6 week tour of US. After a long flight a quick check in at 1am was appreciated and took ourselves off to a spacious and comfortable room, no view but we were not there to sit in our room. There was a maintenance problem with a dripping air conditioner which was immediately rectified. The hotel is in a great location at the end of the wharf precinct, the cable cars start at the back door and trams stop nearby. There are a number of reasonable restaurants and pubs nearby (we had a good evening at the Fiddlers Green but did not eat there) . The staff are friendly and helpful. Next time in SF I would look no further than the Argonaut, perhaps request a room with a view but you get what you pay for.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
TONY_B2257, I definitely relate to your point that sometimes a room with a view is worth it and sometimes it's not... definitely depends on how much time you'll be spending in the room versus out exploring. The good news is the rooms without a view are still the same quality with boatloads of square footage as you mentioned :). Oh, and I'm glad you got to Fiddler's for drinks...I bet you saw many of our team there after work -- it's definitely a favorite in the neighborhood!
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

The location is fantasic (romantic and near Ghiradelli square at Fisherman's wharf). It is within walking distance for eateries and shopping. There is even a Starbucks at the back of the same building. However, service is not a 4 stars hotel standard. When I first arrived, struggling with my many bags, the bellboy was more preoccupied talking to a family without bags to show them the directions than helping me out. Ok, putting that aside, when I checked in, my room was prepaid. The conceige just smiled and processed my hotel room, mentioned to me about the free wine tour, and left me to struggle with my bags again to my room. NO OFFER to ask the bellboy to come over to help. I expect the conceige to enquire if I need he service (whether I accept or reject is of course my pregogative as a hotel guest). I had better service at my 3 stars hotel at union sq the night before!!!

I thought this was a fluke incident, until I checked out. I asked for a taxi to the airport, and the conceige directed me to the entrance where the bellboy is, to call for a taxi. AGAIN, NO OFFER to ask the bellboy to come over instead (it's about 50m from the conceige to the entrance, no joke with many bags). Instead they just watched on as I struggled with my bags to the entrance to ask for a taxi. I am VERY DISAPPOINTED at such a service level for a renowned 4 stars hotel. I expected better, considering I had better service at my 3 star hotel.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Addict4travel
Hello, Addict4Travel,
I'm sorry to read that you did not feel the love from our bell staff, and did not receive their help during your stay. I regret that the bellman was distracted by the other guests and did not give you a warm welcome aboard. And, yes, the front desk team definitely should offer up help with your bags! In their defense, the darn counter is so high they might not have seen that you had so much luggage. I am really hoping to redesign desk that in my perfect world one day, but in the meantime we'll have to keep this issue in mind so everyone can enjoy a 4-diamond check-out!
St. Albans, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

It's refreshing in this day and age to find a hotel which such an emphasis on great service. On arrival there had been a mix up that was entirely the fault of the agent my company uses to book hotels and the front desk team were so helpful in sorting it out. Once I had sorted it by calling home the front desk team still took the effort to follow up with me and confirm everything was ok - no other hotels do this when the agency (all-too-often) mess things up.

Location on the waterfront is great, took me less than 15 mins to walk to the Alcatraz pier one morning.

The approach to social media and marketing with passwords etc is great too, makes you feel much more engaged and not just like you are using the hotel as a place to sleep.

The hotel itself is themed almost to the point of tackiness, but it's all still fairly luxurious so it's not overkill.

Concierge were great when I asked about activities and the front door team were quicker than normal too which all added up to a great service experience.

I had an internal double room which wasn't that spacious but it was big enough. Bed was comfy and the usual facilities were all present. Bit unusual to see the coffee maker in the bathroom though! Air conditioning was a bit noisy.

One final thing worth mentioning was the internet which is free as long as you are a member of the Kimpton loyalty club, although even if you're not they will give you an e-mail address to log in at the front desk. Fast too.

I will definitely look out for other Kimpton hotels when travelling in the USA in the future.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hi, PaulWilkinson, and thanks so much for all the service kudos! I'm glad you are falling for our Kimpton hotels. Now that you're joining up with our loyalty club, remember to let us know (or have your agent tell us) when you travel so we can get you your preferences (newspaper, room location, pillow type, you know, the works!.. and of course the $10 off your minibar, too!)