“Awesome location and hotel”

Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel
Ranked #10 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Calgary, Canada
“Awesome location and hotel”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We loved this hotel so close to the water. The rooms are spacious, the location excellent and the 6:00 happy hour was a treat. We could walk to everything along the ocean including to Union Square. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Howdy, CindyW36, and thanks for the rave review! I'm glad you got out exploring everything, but also happy that you got back in the evenings to join us for the wine party and some "winding down" in our comfy rooms. Many people are surprised by how big they are, especially by city standards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,106)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My son and I spent one night in the Argonaut during a recent trip through California. We paid a good price for a large, well appointed room in a tourist part of town. Our room didn't have much of a view, but we didn't ask for one. Room was quiet despite busy location. There is a National Park Maritime Museum right there at Hyde Street pier where hotel is located. Had a glitch getting our luggage delivered to our room after check-in. Management went overboard trying to compensate--sent us a bottle a wine and hand written apology! We ate breakfast in hotel restaurant and were pleased with service, ambience and at very reasonable price. Glad we didn't settle for the nearby Holiday Inn. Would definitely stay here again.

1 Thank onlinela
Hello, Online LA! We're glad you didn't "settle" either, and thanks for your praise of our service :). Thank you also for mentioning the historic museum onsite here. The maritime area has some great character and history, and we are thrilled to sit in this preserved building on federal land. Pretty cool stuff! I'm delighted you enjoyed a quiet night inside our brick walls.
Bowden, AB, Canada
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Just returned from a 3 night stay at the Argonaut and we WILL be returning! This was our first time to the Bay area and we were hoping for a bay view room. Ended up with a view of nothing so called the front desk and, although there were no bayside rooms available, they were more than happy to comp us an upgraded room with a streetview. Room was spacious, clean and very soundproof - couldn't hear the street noise at all once the window was closed! Great service, great location, awesome restaurant. Even had wine and chocolates awaiting us in our room!! Evening wine reception from 5 to 6pm but we were never around for that. Concierge opens at 8am and first 8 people at the desk each morning got free bike rentals (we never made that either lol). Can book in-room spa treatments if you're so inclined. HIghly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Ask, in advance, if you want a bay view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vickie B
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thanks, Vicki B, I'm glad you had a fantastic time and will back to see us again! I'm more for massage r&r than athleticism on a bike, but you can choose which you prefer next time :). It sounds like you enjoyed some nice quiet rest in the room and some good food from Chef Connolly and his crew, too! We'll share the praise all around -- thanks for writing!
Bloomington, Minnesota
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I stayed at the Argonaut the evening of July 14th with my 16 year-old son and 2 of his teammates as we were traveling home from a tournament in Sonoma. This hotel is visually awesome! Not really from the outside, but the minute you enter off the street, it is very evident there is nothing "cookie cutter" about the decor of this hotel. The sailing theme is everywhere, but very tastefully done. The staff was courteous. The concierge was very helpful the one time I used her. The location is fantastic! My stay was $300+ for one night. It must have been those things that I paid for. Beyond the items listed above, there was not a lot else to set the hotel apart. I'm not complaining by any means. I'm just saying there were no other perks that we used that added to our stay. No pool (big disappointment to boys), no breakfast (restaurant attached--kind of spendy with moderate food and marginal service), not very big rooms (and a pocket bathroom door with no lock--that sucked, and rooms not very quiet from each other/hall/street), nothing special in rooms (other than awesome decor), etc. I may stay again, or I may seek out some other lodging experience. I wasn't completely swayed to always want to stay there when visiting San Francisco.

Hello, Curlz83 -
I am hoping that we'll be able to translate that "Okay+++" to a "Great" or even a "Wonderful" the next time you're in the area! If you have the chance to spend a bit more time, hopefully you can take further advantage of that rockstar concierge, the evening wine party, or the free bike program. We want to provide a fun and charming experience in our historic building, and we feel the location is really the best in town, so I hope you'll give us another chance to knock your socks off properly :)!
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 16, 2013

This hotel is cute and quirky and the staff are amazing. Location wise, it's great- right on fisherman's wharf which is why we chose it. Plenty of great restaurants nearby as well as the amazing Boudin bakery...yum! Walking distance to most attractions or a short cab ride.

Rooms were a bit dark but no real complaints. Would pick a room with more light next time. Front desk were served by gorgeous looking and friendly staff. Special shout-out to Frederico the trainee. Bellhops were amazing and friendly. Would stay here again. Great memories and perfect end to our USA hopping trip.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank KeylimeAvocado
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Well, KeyLimeAvocado,
If your moniker didn't already make me hungry, the reference to sourdough bread sure did! I hope you also got to try out the chowder bread bowls at our very own Blue Mermaid. Pretty tasty, so I have to plug that option :). I've already shared your high praise with the front of house team and with Federico in particular. Thanks for the high five, and hope to see you next time!
London
Reviewed July 16, 2013

The hotel is at a great location, the common spaces and the guest rooms are clean and nicely designed. The most disappointing aspect has been the slow and very expensive valet - waiting times have been around 15 to 20 minutes for the car. The gym could be stocked up with headphones and some tissue; a toilet next to the gym would not go amiss either. The latter being of less importance than the valet, the hotel is very recommendable.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Hi, Daniel P,

Thanks for your note! I've passed along your fitness center feedback to my colleague here, and we'll look into the valet notes as well. I'm afraid a 10-20 minute span is fairly typical for vehicle retrieval in the popular downtown areas (the Wharf and Union Square) each summer, but of course we'll be happy to see if we can speed things up a bit! I'm glad everything was still so smooth overall. Cheers!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed at the Argonaut for 2 nights over 4th July. It was extremely busy and the friendly staff managed very well in handling the large number of guests. Check in was quick and our daughter received a small toy dog, which delighted her and provided hours of entertainment during our holiday.

Our room was large, with (just about!) a side bay view (this was a little disappointing as it was described as bay view). The decor was certainly original and in excellent condition and although not to my personal taste, the room was nice and very clean.

We stayed in several hotels during our trip to California and this was definitely the most child friendly room. It felt safe leaving my daughter to crawl around, without the wires, loose objects and sharp corners that I found in most of our other hotels.

The location of the hotel is excellent if you want to be in the heart of the touristy Fisherman's Wharf, This suited us for our 2 night stay, but I would have found the area lacking for any longer than this. If I were to visit San Fransisco again I wouldn't stay in this area.

The Argonaut describes itself as "hip" and "boutique". Yes the room decor is unusual and whilst it's certainly a nice hotel, I don't think either of these words apply to this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hi, Jimnem40! I can just picture your daughter selecting a toy dog and making it her "girl's best friend" for the trip. I'm glad she enjoyed the treasure chest and was safe to wander a bit in the rooms. We take pride in having some of the larger rooms in the city, and the bay views that you mention, which are always either over the park to the Golden Gate Bridge or over the street to Alcatraz and the open bay vistas. Now that you've "done the Wharf," I hope you might come back to explore the nearby Presidio, Chinatown, Polk Gulch, Marina/Cow Hollow and Pac Heights areas. If you prefer to check out Union Square, though, keep our sister properties in mind :). Thank you!