“Lovely Hotel at Fisherman's Wharf”

Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel
Ranked #12 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Seattle
“Lovely Hotel at Fisherman's Wharf”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

The Argonaut is a lovely hotel near Fisherman's Wharf. This is the place you want to stay if you want to be at Fisherman's Wharf. Yes it is in the tourist area, but it is at the end near a park. I liked that was across from the cable car station for the Powell-Hyde line. It made it convenient to pop on and get to other locations within the city easily. There is construction outside but we didn't hear any noise during our stay. But something to consider if the messy situation in front of the hotel would brother you. Our room was facing the park. The room was super cute, decorated in a nautical theme. It wasn't huge, but a good size and definitely very comfortable and clean. The hotel definitely has a lot of charm. There are in room spa services which I didn't use, since I prefer to go to a spa. The lobby is on the small size and not a lot of space to just hang out. There is no hotel bar. After a day of sightseeing, the only option is going to the restaurant next to the hotel for a drink or the beer joint in the same Del Monte complex. There is a wine bar too but it isn't very big and it closes early each time. Overnight parking is very expensive at $46.00 a night. It is a pet friendly hotel. This was a problem for my husband who is very allergic to dogs. This hotel was booked for us, so we didn't know this until the night before we arrived. The hotel gave us a pet free room and all was good. There is wine tasting at 5:00 every night. I would skip the wine and go for the beer!

Basically this is a beautifully little hotel, in a great location, with wonderful staff.

It lacks some of the amenities you might find at other larger hotels, but that is the trade off for getting all the charm and cuteness.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the park on the 4th floor.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
David_von_Winckler, General Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thanks so much, AAFlyerSeattle! I'm so glad you felt the building was steeped in charm and cuteness with a wonderful staff. That is exactly the kind of review we live for! We are always happy to set aside a pet free room for your husband, and I'm glad that worked out so well for him. I did want to clarify that we have a bar and patio of our own here at the Blue Mermaid, though of course Jack's across the courtyard has a great locals' vibe and does stay open later. Cheers and thanks for sharing!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,077)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

Stayed here last week in Room #437. It was a getaway weekend with my mom. I have always wanted to stay in this hotel and glad we got a good deal on top of it. My only negative was there was construction going on the street in front of the hotel but it was not going on during the weekend (streets have to be repaired). The two queen beds were very comfortable and we were facing the inner courtyard. This hotel is very dog-friendly too but we decided to leave our furry girl at home because my mom has allergies to the dog. All amenities were there and they have funny animal print robes for guests to wear. The staff were all really nice. It was easy to get around too. All kinds of ages were at the hotel and that is what Kimpton does well, catering to all ages of people. I am looking forward to taking my husband and dog next time too. They really have all kinds of programs for all ages. The Blue Mermaid cafe was a nice place to have our breakfast every morning.

Room Tip: Bay rooms have nice views but the inner courtyard room was nice because you did not get the outside...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Hi, DogLover 2011. I'm glad everything was so quiet for you in room 437 (one of our 90 interior rooms), though of course the road works on the water side of the hotel have been surprisingly quiet overall. As you mention, we're lucky to have all kinds of guests, and such nice people staying here. Next time, if you want to take one of those comfy, crazy robes home with you, just let us know!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

Location Locaton. Location. was perfect,on Fishermen's Wharf...our room on the 4th floor was excellent with a view of GGB...friendly staff, free wine and beer evenings ,free bike hire.....cable car to downtown outside hotel..walk to pier 39 and ferry to Alcatraz only a short walk away.....perfect hotel.....

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Linet C
David_von_Winckler, General Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Thanks so much, Linet! We are delighted to be your top choice. I see we won you over with our locale, and sealed the deal with the free wine reception and and friendly staff. (I won't let them know that it may have been in that order ;) )
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed here last weekend for our 2 day visit to San Francisco, and it was a great choice for us. We easily walked to many destinations and were able to quickly get a cab to the spots that were not walkable. The hotel is nice and clean with spacious rooms and comfortable beds. The front desk staff was helpful and recommended Scoma's for dinner, which is a must! We weren't very impressed with the hotel bar and had much more fun at Jack's Cannery Bar that's a couple doors down (85 beers on tap there but cash only). I would definitely recommend staying here if you want to be a tourist, and I think the location and accommodations are worth it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi, MHunter29! I like Jack's bar, too, it's actually a favorite with a lot of the staff for late-night, casual get togethers. The wine bar here, the "Winery Collective," is also a neat way to unwind with some very high-end bottles from just north of us up in the Russian River, Sonoma, and Napa valleys. But I digress :)! I'm glad the staff was so welcoming and they pointed you in the direction of Scoma's and some other neat spots to enjoy. I hope you get the chance to make another visit and explore all the surrounding neighborhoods, too! Each one is different, which is pretty neat.
Jersey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

It's always a gamble on any vacation about your hotel choice. This hotel was recommended to us and was perfect. The location was handy for all transport links and enough away from the crappy shops in Fisherman's Wharf. The staff were excellent, the room well equipped, clean and finished to a high standard. We had a high floor room and it was quiet. The breakfast available was freshly made, good quality and well presented with helpful staff. We could see the Bay from our room, great to wake up to each morning. Free drinks are also offered 5-6 pm. Free Wi-Fi. What more could you want ?

Room Tip: Ask for Bay view. We had excellent room looking out to the Golden Gate Bridge.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thanks a lot, Trinity_Paul! I love your bold headline, and of course I'm partial to all five-star reviews ...I agree that we are lucky to enjoy this spot at the edge of the Wharf, and those views on the Hyde Street side overlooking the bay, Ghirardelli Square, and the Golden Gate Bridge are unreal. Thanks for checking out our breakfast options, too! I try to do the oatmeal, but that quiche can cry your name so loudly...!
Minneapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

My nephew and I spent his spring break in San Francisco and stayed at the Argonaut Hotel on a recommendation from a colleague. It was a great location, with great décor, and more than we expected.

One of the surprises was that the first floor of the century old brick building houses the San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park Visitor Center. I recommend dedicating some time to walk through this free center as it will give you a great history of the city and the neighborhood if you are staying at the Argonaut. It also makes a walk onto Hyde Park Pier, with its historic ships, right across from the hotel more interesting.

Also, we found the Blue Mermaid Chowder House next to the hotel, with access from the lobby, a great breakfast place. Both the hotel and Blue Mermaid have a great waterfront ambiance, a long way from making you feel you are staying at a typical hotel that could be anywhere else in the world.

Our room looked out over the water, which gave us a view of Hyde Park Pier and Alcatraz. The location put us within walking distance of numerous restaurant options and transportation. The cable car turnaround right by the hotel always had long lines of tourists, but just two blocks away on Jones street is where you can catch the trolley that will take you to the Ferry Building on the waterfront and back.

We booked a half-day Viator Tour to the Redwoods (Muir Woods) and Sausalito, and the departure point was just a couple of blocks walk away from the hotel. There is a Starbucks behind the hotel, though no direct access from inside the hotel. Also, we brought our baseball gloves and we could walk across the street into Ghirardelli Park to enjoy the grass, play catch, and enjoy the extended view of the bay.

The next time we come to San Francisco we will stay at the Argonaut and bring our bike helmets. There are numerous bike rental options, including right next to the hotel. The hotel is very conveniently located for a bike trip along the waterfront and the Golden Gate Bridge.

The road in front of the hotel was under construction when we stayed there. We will wait until that work is done before we return. We wisely did not rent a car in San Francisco. There is no need if staying at the Argonaut, and it would cost $46/night, plus tax, to park there.

With respect to cost, the Argonaut is pricey and myriad taxes will add more than 15% to your room rate. From our standpoint, the value of the atmosphere, comfort and location was worth the expense. San Francisco is a walk around city, enjoy it from the Argonaut!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mike D
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

Such an amazing hotel! There were roadworks going on- something our travel agents should have informed us about; but they really weren't that much bother. It is not the hotel's fault it is something that needs doing. They have made every effort to accommodate the situation and cause minimal bother for arrivals. I love the theme of the hotel, it is so fun and relaxed. We only stayed for three days but I felt so at home. This was my first holiday to America and what a way to do it! Fishermans wharf is such a beautiful place. So quiet and peaceful. It's a shame everywhere closes so early but neither I nor my partner are drinkers so we woke early and made the most of the day using 9pm onwards as unwinding time. I would really love to return here next year, I hope we can. This time was only three days as we went on to Hawaii but I feel we did not have long enough to fully enjoy fishermans wharf- if you ever could have long enough to enjoy its beauty? The staff are all friendly and helpful and jacks bar thirty seconds down the road is an absolute must!

Amazing hotel, could only be made better with a pool! Would love to return next year and see it without the road works.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple