“Wonderful place I don't want to leave!”

Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel
Ranked #14 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

I absolutely loved the argonaut! San Fran has long held a special place in my heart and I have finally found a hotel that matches the warm, stylish quirkiness that I love about the city. Our arrival late after an awful 48 hours of travel plans gone wrong was like a breath of fresh air - at last things seemed to be going right! Steve the doorman was a delight, he immediately endeared himself with our daughters and continued to do so throughout our stay. The room was gorgeous. At checkin I was told I had booked king suite so could choose larger without view or smaller with some view. I chose the view. Whist nor outstanding given the weather we've had, it was still nice and the room itself was beautiful. I certainly didn't feel we were missing out in terms of size. Staff are all pretty good, certainly some of the front desk staff stand out as better than others but overall a warm welcome was felt from most. We ended up booking an extra night to make up with the one we'd missed in the first place. Looks like we will have to change rooms as I seem to have booked a higher class of king, what they call a specialty suite. Whilst it is a pain to have to pack up two days in a row, I have been to look at a specialty suite and it was certainly special - corner views, loads of space, full dining table. I think I won't want to step outside!! I will miss San Fran and the argonaut and hope it won't be too long before the next time

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank SydneyLadybird

Reviewed December 22, 2012

We have been staying here when visiting our family in the East Bay area for a good number of years. My lovely wife has MS and is wheelchair bound. This means that we have special requirements and needs. From the minute that we arrive and are greeted by the excellent door men who have been there for years - making sure that we are protected from traffic while loading and unloading my lovely wife and her wheelchair from on coming traffic - to the bell hops handling our problems to the front desk personnel - we are treated like special, very welcomed guests. Add to that the free daily afternoon hot chocolate and wine tasting and you have a magic time. The hotel is only a couple of blocks from Fisherman's Wharf and around the block from the cable car. Lastly, the attached restaurant is excellent - definitely not your average hotel food.

We look forward to returning in 2013.

Room Tip: It may cost a little more but ask for a room with a view of the Golden Gate Bridge.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lrothfl
David_von_Winckler, General Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2012

Hi, LRoth, and thanks for your kind comments. We have a bellman/doorman meeting coming up and I'll be sure to let them know that their care and thoughtfulness set a great tone for your stay here. We'll share your high praise with the chef as well - thanks again!

Reviewed December 21, 2012

We visited several hotels on our road trip holiday and this was definitely our favourite. It is perfectly placed at the quieter end of Fisherman's wharf close to the trams and with easy access to all the tourist attractions.The room wasn't huge but was tastefully furnished, very quiet and the bed very comfortable (loved the snazzy bathrobes!). The staff service is excellent we felt like VIPs, and the complementary hot chocolate by the fire in the afternoons and wine reception in the evening were much appreciated. It was also nice to see that doggy guests were treated just as well with a box of teats for them by the front door! The restaurant is well worth a visit too.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank michellestone22

Hi, MichelleStone22, and Happy Holidays! We are thrilled that you felt like a top VIP and that your stellar experience carried through at the lobby receptions and in the Blue Mermaid restaurant. Today it's raining here and we all are going for bowls of that chowder to make the day cozier! Too bad our manager desks are not set up by that fireplace ;)...

Reviewed December 21, 2012

We stayed at The Argonaut for three nights and were very happy with the staff, facilities and location. The hotel had a free wine every evening from 1700-1800, which was a welcome after a long days sightseeing. Great transport links right outside the hotel to various places across the city. Perfect for families!

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank grahamwhite78
Reviewed December 21, 2012

This Hotel was fabulous from the service to the view. location was awesome and i have to agree the King Suite was the way to go . The bathroom was amazing the spa tub was soo huge and i loved the comfort of the beds . The hotel had a bottle of champagne waiting for us and they even went above and beyond all my expectations . I will definitely stay here again .

Room Tip: get king suite with Alcrataz view ;)
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Karen,
Congrats to you and the new hubby, and thanks for retreating to one of our king view suites for your honeymoon time together! We agree that those are tubs as nature intended: deep and luxurious so you can enjoy those bubbles in total relaxation! Cheers to you and hope to see you both back here for your anniversary over the many fun years to come! If you have not already, join up for Kimpton InTouch and when we offer special occasion deals, you'll have full access to the discounts and amenities!

Reviewed December 19, 2012

Moving past the accommodations, which were wonderful. The restaurant, which provided delicious food, and the location, which was perfect ~ The staff treated us like VIP's who have been visiting for years. Extras like hot cider or hot chocolate by the fire in late afternoon or the wine tasting daily early evenings are just part of the unexpected 'treats' in store at this property.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 18, 2012

As we rode from the airport in our cab and approached Fisherman's Wharf, we passed a number of hotels that I had crossed off the list for various reasons. My only thoughts were, thank goodness. Many of them had a dilapidated look and were in the heart of the ticky tacky touristy stuff at Fisherman's Wharf. We were greeted with a smile and a welcome from a delightful doorman. I'd love to give a shout out to him as he was such a delight, but I've forgotten his name. Not to worry, they were all very friendly. This man was top of the heap, though. When you're travel weary, this is a really nice way to be welcomed.

Before I made my reservation, I had enrolled in Kimpton Hotel's loyalty program, which not only allowed my son $10 worth of freebies from the honor bar snacks, but let me specify what kind of room, even what kind of pillows we'd like. Yoga mats were complimentary, worth a laugh, but not for this girl on vacation! We were quickly greeted, checked in, and up to our room. The bellhop was right behind us. Nice, pleasant young man.

Let me interrupt this review to let you know that we had booked two separate stays in this hotel during our Thanksgiving week in the Bay area. So, I'll describe our two visits.

Our first room, was on the fourth floor (as we asked in the loyalty program), a good long walk from the elevators (as we asked). Not being a "view" room, we were delighted to open the shutters and take in Coit Tower and the Trans-America Pyramid. Lovely. The room was long and narrow, but I thought a great size. Two Queen Beds, a desk, chair, huge mirror, huge closet with robes and slippers (for purchase) and a safe. There was a comfy desk chair and a lounge chair. There would be plenty of room for a rollaway bed. The bathroom was good size, full tub (no jets), and the rounded shower curtain rod. Coffee maker in the bathroom (this I hate, but I'll let it slide because they had Starbucks and real coffee mugs). Nice lotion and hand soap. The large size containers of shower gel and shampoo and conditioner were appreciated. Nicely scented and they did the job. The only "complaint" we'd have about our stay in this room was the loud wake up from the neighbors next door, which had nothing to do with the soundproofing of the room or the hotel staff. They were just incredibly loud and oblivious, super early risers, and only a small bump in the road.

We enjoyed breakfast in the restaurant down below, but it was pricey and, while delicious, didn't seem to be a good use of our vacation dollars. I wanted to eat crab, standing up at a crab stand for $13, not French Toast! But, the staff were pleasant and there are cheaper options. Keep in mind, Starbucks is essentially in the hotel building, go out the front door, towards the cable car turn around and you'll see it. Breakfast sandwiches there delivered by my wonderful husband were a huge money saver and got us out exploring much faster than sit down meal. (Oh, incidentally, I guess there's a place called Darren's Kitchen or cafe that has very inexpensive breakfasts--worth a try, it got great reviews from some locals and it's just a short walk from the Argonaut.)

We enjoyed complimentary wine in the evenings. Nice touch.

Our second stay found the hotel much busier, but the welcome was still the same. Desk staff was a little "routine" in her check in. Even though the bell boys and door men had said, "Welcome Back!" she ignored the two times that I said, "We were just here, so you don't have to do the spiel." and continued to give me the scripted welcome. She was rushed and busy and still pleasant, smiling, and very welcoming. Just something to work on.

Our second room, oh my it was amazing. Room 455. Don't ask for it when we want to return! We walked in to the open shutters and a view of Alcatraz and if I craned my neck just far enough to the left, I could see the Golden Gate. The harbor was spread out below us. I spent every moment that I could staring out the window. My son and I watched a sea lion fishing and playing as the sun rose, hitting Alcatraz. The bay swimmers were fun to watch and so were the people. I think I took about one hundred pictures of this view, most of them blurry with my excitement. THIS is what you come to San Francisco for.

The only thing the second room didn't have that the first did was a comfy chair in the corner. Seemed the room was just a smidge smaller than the first one, but I bet if I called I could have gotten a chair sent up.

I honestly can't say enough good things about this hotel. It was spotlessly clean. The staff were amazing, but not overly solicitous. We will never stay anywhere else when we return to San Francisco.

Oh, a few other "perks" that really sold me on this place. Sorry, I'm gushing, but these were important to me, so they might be to you.

~Super quiet area of Fisherman's Wharf, not near the wax museumy, Pier 39y area if you know what I mean.
~5 minute walk up to Ghiradelli
~2 minutes for an Irish Coffee at the Buena Vista
~Close to a cable car turn around, fun to watch, if the lines are long, walk up the hill a bit and catch one where it's not so busy
~Just a short schlep to the action of Fisherman's Wharf, only a couple of fun blocks to amble to get to the crab stands (yes, this was important to me!)
~Streetcars lines end right outside the Walgreens at the Wharf, quick to get back to the hotel if you've got tired feet and want to take the streetcar (buy the weekly pass for public transport, saves tons)
~Even though there was music playing beneath us, street performers, and the bar below the hotel, we couldn't hear it with the windows closed and we could enjoy it with the window cracked. It never went late enough to be a concern.
~There is a great museum on the main floor worthy of a trip.
~Many of the hotels in San Fran had double beds in the room, our rooms had Queen beds which for our family is a requirement--married too long to want those teeny double beds. Be sure to check this out if you're looking at other places.
~This is a pet and kid friendly place. Dog treats and kid treats were available. Even my teenager got a rubber duck from our fabulous door man. And not only did he take it, but he gave a full blown smile. (Those of you with teenagers understand how rare this is)

Okay, I'm waxing on and on about this hotel and I honestly can't think of much more to say except book it! And enjoy your trip!

Room Tip: Join the Kimpton rewards program to get better room selection. Inner corridor rooms overlook the co...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Lilbet247
David_von_Winckler, General Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2012

Well, well, well, Lilbet247, please DO gush and wax on as much as you like :)! We are delighted to read your rave review and appreciate all your feedback. Happy Holidays to you and your family!