“Honeymooning”

GreenLeadersGold level
Hobe Sound, Florida
“Honeymooning”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

This Hotel was fabulous from the service to the view. location was awesome and i have to agree the King Suite was the way to go . The bathroom was amazing the spa tub was soo huge and i loved the comfort of the beds . The hotel had a bottle of champagne waiting for us and they even went above and beyond all my expectations . I will definitely stay here again .

Room Tip: get king suite with Alcrataz view ;)
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
David_von_Winckler, General Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, December 23, 2012
Karen,
Congrats to you and the new hubby, and thanks for retreating to one of our king view suites for your honeymoon time together! We agree that those are tubs as nature intended: deep and luxurious so you can enjoy those bubbles in total relaxation! Cheers to you and hope to see you both back here for your anniversary over the many fun years to come! If you have not already, join up for Kimpton InTouch and when we offer special occasion deals, you'll have full access to the discounts and amenities!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,111)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New Orleans
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Moving past the accommodations, which were wonderful. The restaurant, which provided delicious food, and the location, which was perfect ~ The staff treated us like VIP's who have been visiting for years. Extras like hot cider or hot chocolate by the fire in late afternoon or the wine tasting daily early evenings are just part of the unexpected 'treats' in store at this property.

Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed December 18, 2012

As we rode from the airport in our cab and approached Fisherman's Wharf, we passed a number of hotels that I had crossed off the list for various reasons. My only thoughts were, thank goodness. Many of them had a dilapidated look and were in the heart of the ticky tacky touristy stuff at Fisherman's Wharf. We were greeted with a smile and a welcome from a delightful doorman. I'd love to give a shout out to him as he was such a delight, but I've forgotten his name. Not to worry, they were all very friendly. This man was top of the heap, though. When you're travel weary, this is a really nice way to be welcomed.

Before I made my reservation, I had enrolled in Kimpton Hotel's loyalty program, which not only allowed my son $10 worth of freebies from the honor bar snacks, but let me specify what kind of room, even what kind of pillows we'd like. Yoga mats were complimentary, worth a laugh, but not for this girl on vacation! We were quickly greeted, checked in, and up to our room. The bellhop was right behind us. Nice, pleasant young man.

Let me interrupt this review to let you know that we had booked two separate stays in this hotel during our Thanksgiving week in the Bay area. So, I'll describe our two visits.

Our first room, was on the fourth floor (as we asked in the loyalty program), a good long walk from the elevators (as we asked). Not being a "view" room, we were delighted to open the shutters and take in Coit Tower and the Trans-America Pyramid. Lovely. The room was long and narrow, but I thought a great size. Two Queen Beds, a desk, chair, huge mirror, huge closet with robes and slippers (for purchase) and a safe. There was a comfy desk chair and a lounge chair. There would be plenty of room for a rollaway bed. The bathroom was good size, full tub (no jets), and the rounded shower curtain rod. Coffee maker in the bathroom (this I hate, but I'll let it slide because they had Starbucks and real coffee mugs). Nice lotion and hand soap. The large size containers of shower gel and shampoo and conditioner were appreciated. Nicely scented and they did the job. The only "complaint" we'd have about our stay in this room was the loud wake up from the neighbors next door, which had nothing to do with the soundproofing of the room or the hotel staff. They were just incredibly loud and oblivious, super early risers, and only a small bump in the road.

We enjoyed breakfast in the restaurant down below, but it was pricey and, while delicious, didn't seem to be a good use of our vacation dollars. I wanted to eat crab, standing up at a crab stand for $13, not French Toast! But, the staff were pleasant and there are cheaper options. Keep in mind, Starbucks is essentially in the hotel building, go out the front door, towards the cable car turn around and you'll see it. Breakfast sandwiches there delivered by my wonderful husband were a huge money saver and got us out exploring much faster than sit down meal. (Oh, incidentally, I guess there's a place called Darren's Kitchen or cafe that has very inexpensive breakfasts--worth a try, it got great reviews from some locals and it's just a short walk from the Argonaut.)

We enjoyed complimentary wine in the evenings. Nice touch.

Our second stay found the hotel much busier, but the welcome was still the same. Desk staff was a little "routine" in her check in. Even though the bell boys and door men had said, "Welcome Back!" she ignored the two times that I said, "We were just here, so you don't have to do the spiel." and continued to give me the scripted welcome. She was rushed and busy and still pleasant, smiling, and very welcoming. Just something to work on.

Our second room, oh my it was amazing. Room 455. Don't ask for it when we want to return! We walked in to the open shutters and a view of Alcatraz and if I craned my neck just far enough to the left, I could see the Golden Gate. The harbor was spread out below us. I spent every moment that I could staring out the window. My son and I watched a sea lion fishing and playing as the sun rose, hitting Alcatraz. The bay swimmers were fun to watch and so were the people. I think I took about one hundred pictures of this view, most of them blurry with my excitement. THIS is what you come to San Francisco for.

The only thing the second room didn't have that the first did was a comfy chair in the corner. Seemed the room was just a smidge smaller than the first one, but I bet if I called I could have gotten a chair sent up.

I honestly can't say enough good things about this hotel. It was spotlessly clean. The staff were amazing, but not overly solicitous. We will never stay anywhere else when we return to San Francisco.

Oh, a few other "perks" that really sold me on this place. Sorry, I'm gushing, but these were important to me, so they might be to you.

~Super quiet area of Fisherman's Wharf, not near the wax museumy, Pier 39y area if you know what I mean.
~5 minute walk up to Ghiradelli
~2 minutes for an Irish Coffee at the Buena Vista
~Close to a cable car turn around, fun to watch, if the lines are long, walk up the hill a bit and catch one where it's not so busy
~Just a short schlep to the action of Fisherman's Wharf, only a couple of fun blocks to amble to get to the crab stands (yes, this was important to me!)
~Streetcars lines end right outside the Walgreens at the Wharf, quick to get back to the hotel if you've got tired feet and want to take the streetcar (buy the weekly pass for public transport, saves tons)
~Even though there was music playing beneath us, street performers, and the bar below the hotel, we couldn't hear it with the windows closed and we could enjoy it with the window cracked. It never went late enough to be a concern.
~There is a great museum on the main floor worthy of a trip.
~Many of the hotels in San Fran had double beds in the room, our rooms had Queen beds which for our family is a requirement--married too long to want those teeny double beds. Be sure to check this out if you're looking at other places.
~This is a pet and kid friendly place. Dog treats and kid treats were available. Even my teenager got a rubber duck from our fabulous door man. And not only did he take it, but he gave a full blown smile. (Those of you with teenagers understand how rare this is)

Okay, I'm waxing on and on about this hotel and I honestly can't think of much more to say except book it! And enjoy your trip!

Room Tip: Join the Kimpton rewards program to get better room selection. Inner corridor rooms overlook the co...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Lilbet247
David_von_Winckler, General Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Well, well, well, Lilbet247, please DO gush and wax on as much as you like :)! We are delighted to read your rave review and appreciate all your feedback. Happy Holidays to you and your family!
Reviewed December 18, 2012

My friend and I were going to San Francisco for the weekend and wanted to stay in a nice little boutique hotel that was easy walking distance to sight seeing and restaurants. The Argonaut is a very friendly hotel...the staff were great and the wine hour was a nice touch. It's a little on the pricier side, but for the location it is not unreasonable. We booked a room with 2 queen beds and it was spacious and very comfortable. The bathroom is a touch on the tiny side, but a big bathroom isn't really a priority for me. The only issue I had was with noise. Our room looked out over the courtyard which has a Mexican Restaurant and Jack's Cannery (a bar, I think). On the Saturday night it was quite noisy until quite late with people who were obviously enjoying a few too many beverages (lots of yelling and woo-hooing). The building is an old brick building, so I think there may be limited options for soundproofing and retaining the charming brick look both outside and within the room (the outside wall in our room was original brick). However, I could also here conversation and TV noise from the room beside us, so I suspect sound proofing is generally a bit of an issue. Next time I would request a room that does not have an outside window as quiet is more important to me than a view. The windows are small, and paying for an upgrade to have a view would not seem like money well spent to me. I also typically don't spend a lot of time in my room and would rather be outside enjoying the views. The location is fantastic, just a couple of blocks from Ghirardhelli Square and about 5 - 10 minute walk to Pier 39. I would stay here again, even given the sound issues, but would make sure I request a very quiet area of the hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Hello, WadiRun,

Thanks for posting about how blessed we are by this historic building and prime location. Since you prefer to save a little money to get out and explore the views from the great outdoors, our 90 interior rooms would be a great pick for your next visit. On our website, they are the standard "Queen," "Queen Queen," and "King Bed" types. Cheers!
Alexandria, Louisiana
Reviewed December 18, 2012

My wife and I stayed one night at the Argonaut Hotel in San Francisco during our 25th wedding anniversary trip. I have to say the location was perfect. Spacious, clean and very nautical. Regrettably, we only had a one night stay, but it was great we would stay there again.

Room Tip: Not a room tip, but be aware of the valet parking charges.
Hi, JCP001 -
I love that your only regret was that you couldn't stay longer! Thanks so much! Hope to see you next time for a relaxing time in our hotel and a bowl of our piping hot chowder!
Happy Holidays.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 16, 2012

For our 3 night stays we booked 2 rooms - a standard twin for my 2 eldest children and a suite with an extra bed for my husband and I and our youngest child.. The room itself is narrow and long. So the layout is a bit awkward. Not very big but acceptable. Very tidy and clean. Our room is near the corner of Hyde and Beach st. There is a cable car station nearby thus there is constant noise. But it quiets down after 10-11 pm. There is afternoon chocolate drink hour and wine hour every day. The chocolate drink is self served between 2-3 pm. The wine hour are hosted by hotel personnel at 5-6 pm. It serves one red, one white wine, an apply cider or hot cider with bourbon. It is a very friendly and relax environment.

The only negative thing we encountered is when we ask for extending checkout time till 3pm, the manager asked for $49 surcharge. But if we can checkout by 1:30 pm, then there is no charge. They can hold your luggage so you do not have to walk around town with luggages..

Anyway, very nice hotel stay and we will certainly be back in the future if needed to stay in town

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Camille S
melbourne
Reviewed December 16, 2012

The location is great if one is not driving. Lots of attractions within walking distance and if you are adventurous even the Golden Gate bridge is not far for a jog.

The hotel itself had a boutique feel and the bed was comfortable. There was free internet and the Blue Mermaid was a decent place for breakfast (maybe a bit pricey)

The exhaust did not work in the bathroom and we had to wipe the mirror frequently. The structure of the building was such that rooms on the inner side had views of room from the other side, affecting privacy. There was no other window for the room. Maybe, my experience might have been different if I had been given a room on the outer side. I had booked well in advance and was a bit disappointed for not getting a room with better views.

Another interesting thing was that housekeeping started very early. We had to request for a later time. It is hard to complain about this as very often we complain about late housekeeping in some places. Here it was too early and on one occasion, the person entered the room in spite of knowing I was in the bathroom, repeatedly asking who was at the door.

I will have to agree with a few reviews about staff "mechanical" "assembly line". In general the reception staff were good but lacked the enthusiasm and friendliness which- for example the staff at Blue Mermaid had. The reception area is always dark and maybe it has an effect!!

In all, a great hotel for location esp for tourists. Had a lot of expectations from previous reviews and though there were no serious shortcomings, left slightly disappointed.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms with views of other room windows.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank melblore
Hello, Melbore,
I'm delighted that you got to enjoy the benefits of our walkable waterfront location, including an adventure over the Golden Gate! Many of our guests like to bike the bridge also, and the first four guests to line up for the giveaway at the concierge desk each morning do get a free rental! For your future stays, please know that all interior rooms are off the street, but our upgraded Deluxe and View categories will hook you up with the city/seascape feel. Usually it's just a few bucks more and is available in advance. We'd love to welcome you back our hotel and restaurant -- I'll let the Blue Mermaid crew know that their navy striped servers excelled as usual!