“Good location, hip vibe, but not all roses”

Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel
Ranked #13 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I stayed at the Argonaut for a meeting for 4 days. The location can't be beat: a few blocks from the Wharf, right around the corner from cable cars and sightseeing buses, plenty of hunting and gathering very near by. The staff were generally helpful, although it seemed they were overworked at times. My room had a great view of the inner roof (!). In general, the room was fairly comfortable and well-appointed, but a few things worth noting: I agree with Amanda F that the pillows were very stinky and musty smelling, like ones I would consider "recycling" at home. Something in my room smelled intermittently like a dirty diaper (could never figure out what.) The bathroom was reasonable, but no place to hang anything such as the nice, cozy robes that are provided. My A/C fan would not stay on, which was a problem as this hotel had VERY little sound insulation. I constantly heard people moving through the halls, and every thunk or anything from surrounding rooms was noticeable. Conversations in the next room were audible. I guess I expect more from a hotel of this caliber and price! Not sure I'd stay here again, but the location is a plus!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't view the roof! Consider asking for the top floor, in hopes that it...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (5,942)

Reviewed November 3, 2012

The Argonaut is in an ideal location in Fisherman's Wharf next to the famous Hyde/Powell Cable Car turnaround and Ghirardelli Square. The layout of the rooms are pretty standard but are well appointed with a nautical theme. The lobby is very nice and the hotel offers a free wine tasting from 5-6 (note: they pour you a full glass). The front desk and door staff were very friendly and helpful. The rack rate for the rooms are overpriced, but if you can get a good deal through a site such as Hotwire (i.e. around $200) then this is the place to stay in San Francisco.

Note: Fisherman's Wharf is fun and safe but very touristy (i.e. plenty of buskers and cheap souvenir shops) and not in the heart of San Francisco. You can walk to Lombard Street and China Town or take a long uphill hike to Coit Tower but will need to take public transportation to see other parts of the city such as Golden Gate Park, Haight Ashbury, Alamo Square, etc.

Room Tip: The rack rate for the rooms are overpriced, but if you can get a good deal through a site such as Ho...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

I like the brick walls and the marine theme in the rooms. Very original.
The location is very central.
Our room had a beautiful view of Alcatraz Island. I wish our window was bigger.
Parking is really expensive. But I guess that's the case anywhere central at SF.

• Stayed: October 2012
David_von_Winckler, General Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2012

familymannn,
Thank you for the kind words, you are right, we are centrally located to everything! Glad you appreciated the bricks, fun fact: many of them are recycled from the 1906 earthquake. We hope to host you again soon. Cheers!

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Where should I start?

Old, musty pillows and mattresses I swear are from the 50's. My back is killing me with the lumps in the bed. I'm writing this now b/c I've been up for hours b/c I can't sleep on this mattress. I may resort to the couch tomorrow. Don't bother with room service. They are NEVER open and when you do finally get through there is nothing available and the times are totally wrong. You're on your own if you need a concierge. She's too busy to help anyone and certainly can't be bothered with recommendations for dining. And as if the mattress wasn't enough, the door lock is strange. It resets itself or something every hour or so - I think I'm finally past thinking someone is trying to come in now.

The only good thing I can say is location and the doormen (yes, the doormen) are great. Extremely friendly, fun and set the stage for what feels like it'll be the best stay ever. Only to be greeted with a series of less than enthusiastic staff and poor hotel conditions. Needless to say I'm very disappointed - won't be staying here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room where the beds are newer and request foam pillows.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is gorgeous and in a great location on fishermans wharf and is right near one of the cable car lines! Was perfect for what we needed, free wine at 5pm daily is a nice touch and the rooms are spacious, clean and nicely themed! Would stay again.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We ended our vacation of central/northern California with a three night stay at the Argonaut. It was wonderful! I had booked a discounted rate through TripAdvisor. I compared this rate with the AAA rate and went with the lesser. We had a deluxe 2 queen room for $319/night. We did not pay for a view, but we were given a nice one. We were on the 4th floor, overlooking Ghiradelli Square, the cable car turnabout, and Aquatic Park. It was lovely. We found the room to be quite spacious and comfortable for the four of us. My kids, ages 14 & 11, loved the animal print robes.

The location was great for us. Yes, we know Fisherman's Wharf is touristy, but we were tourists. It is far enough away from Pier 39 so that the noise and crowds aren't overwhelming. We enjoyed the maritime museum in the same building and Hyde Pier across the street.

The beds were comfortable and housekeeping was very good. By joining the free Kimpton In Touch program before arrival, we were given a $10 raid the minibar coupon. The kids loved actually being allowed to pick out snacks from here.

The only thing preventing me from giving 5 stars instead of 4 is the parking fee. I was well aware of the $46/day parking fee before arrival. I had priced out the difference of keeping the car and paying parking or turning in the car early and paying for public tranportation to the airport. It worked out a little cheaper to keep the car and pay parking. HOWEVER, I was not aware that we would be charged an EXTRA $15/day because our rental was a SUV. Did it break the bank for me? No. However, charging $61 +tax, which brings it to $70 per day for parking was ridiculous! That did leave a sour taste at checkout of an otherwise fantastic stay.

Room Tip: Request a room on the Ghiradelli Square side. You can check out the crowds waiting for the cable ca...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Second visit to San Francisco , first time stay at this boutique hotel Argonaut and a perfect stay , whit a very good location at Fisherman's Wharf , nearby Maritime National park and one of the 2 still whorking cable car the Powell-Hyde street line , and walking distance from PIER , at the large lobby has a theme ships and sea , whit a connection to the Blue Mermaid Chowder House & bar ,whit very good seafood & bar whit terrace , i have a king room newly updated ..........outstanding decoration , colors ........enz , good sleeping confort and nice bathroom , friendly & helpful staff .
If your looking for a wonderful hotel an good location near the Bay of San Francisco & Fishermans Wharf it must be this hotel."The Argonaut Hotel"

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo