“Stayed Twice because it was so nice!”

Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel
Ranked #12 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Houston, Texas
“Stayed Twice because it was so nice!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

On a recent trip to the bay area, I had the pleasure of staying at this amazing hotel. The staff are extremely accomodating, the marina/ fisherman's wharf location is terrific and convenient, and the rooms are very well appointed. I particularly enjoyed walking across the street to the park and watching the swimmers in the bay with Alcatraz and many historic sailing vessels in the background. It is a bit pricey, but not as much as some other luxury accomodations in the immediate area. When I return to San Francisco, I will happily choose to stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank James P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,077)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Oviedo, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

This hotel is fantastic and the only negative points to call them that way would be the cost of parking and the location, but, like everything in life, depends for who.

I chose this hotel knowing it is located in Fishermans Wharf which for many may be convenient and for many others not. You need to know where you want to be and then choose the hotel.

In some other visits I have stayed in central SF, near Union Square, you name it. Hyatt, Intercontinental, Chancellor, etc all of the great and centrally located. But for this quick stop I had what I needed.

The hotel is very well located in Fishermans Wharf, which is no more than 15 minute walking from Embarcadero, the end of Market Street. I love FW and I enjoy my Cioppino at Sabellas Tower. Knowing where I was going to dine the decission was easy.

Hotel is well located, the building does not make justice to the rooms which are spacious, very clean, big and nice appointed. No complaints whatsoever. Bed very comfortable. Breakfast quite good and if you want to go for more you pay an extra 5-6 USD and you get what you want.

Went for a run from the hotel to Bay Bridge and way back; fantastic.

Parking is a problem, mainly because being that touristic its expensive. But, very near the Argonaut hotel you have some streets and parking spots where is free of charge to leave the car overnight. If not just park it in front of the hotel and "insert coin".

If I go back to SF and I dont mind staying 15 minutes from Union Square I would pick this hotel again. Yes or Yes.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ViajeroSecret
David_von_Winckler, General Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
ViajeroSecret,
Thank you for the kind words, "just want we wanted," wow! That's truly awesome to hear. You are right, we are centrally located to what many visitors come to see San Francisco for, the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, and many other sights. I understand parking can seem expensive for someone from out of town, however, our parking is very competitive to all other lots in the area, and in many cases, it is actually more affordable. We hope to see you again soon, as you said, even if your meetings are downtown, we're not too far. Cheers!
Perth WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

We stayed here for a week in September 2012. We chose it for it's location and on the back of TripAdvisor reviews.

For us the location was perfect and the service friendly and professional. We loved the free wine tasting around the fire in the lobby in the evenings (although we didn't make it every night).

A great experience and recommended.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SouthPerthAustralia
SouthPerthAustralia,
As a frequent traveler myself, I could not agree with you more, it's about the service! I'm happy to hear the team was able to take such good care of you during your visit. We hope to see you again soon, we'll have a glass of wine waiting from 5-6 as always. Cheers!
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

Stayed here with my wife for one night during a week long business trip to Northern and Central California. Here is a list of pros and cons that I feel will help future travelers.

Pros...
- Excellent service. Especially Taylor at the front desk. We were initially given the worst room in the hotel upon arrival, literally. Room #212. I called and expressed my disappointment. Taylor was extremely helpful, and we were moved to a different room. Made our stay here much better. From our experience, the rest of the staff were also top notch.
- Nice location. Very close to Fisherman's Wharf and Ghirardelli Square.
- The attached museum is worth a visit. It's free too, and you can't beat that.
- Physically, the hotel is in good shape and beautifully decorated.
- The internet, which is free if you sign up for their frequent stay program, is above average in terms of speed for a hotel.

The cons...
- Valet parking is over $40 per day. You have unlimited in and out privileges, but even with a short stay this will really add up.
- Rooms are small. Really small.
- Showers were nothing special at all. Nothing negative to note, I just expect more from a high end hotel.
- As some reviewers have previously stated, the views can be REALLY bad from rooms if you don't pay additional fees for 'upgraded' views.
- They did have a free wine hour, but everything else will cost you. Water, any form of snacks, etc...

Despite all of the positives, I really have to say that I don't feel the Argonaut is worth the cost to stay here. It's a nice hotel. That's a given. And the staff were excellent. But when we checked out, both my wife and I felt that the total cost to stay here was simply not worth it. I travel a lot, and from my experience the Argonaut is not a good value. A four star hotel in a city like San Francisco should provide a better experience.

Room Tip: Avoid Room #212 at ALL costs. Terribly small with a horrible view, and you're charged full price...
2 Thank D W
D W,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, while not what I hoped for it is by best tool to make sure we get it right next time. I'm sorry to hear you did not find the hotel up to par, although it does surprise me to hear you found our rooms, "small." Our rooms are actually quite spacious for San Francisco and definitely for the area, although you are right, some are bigger than others. I'm happy to hear that Taylor was able to rectify the situation at check-in and you found him to be helpful, I'll be sure to pass on the kind words. As for the parking cost, unfortunately parking in San Francisco is scarce and at a premium, but I can assure you that our rates are competitive and in many instances more affordable than many options in the area. Thank you again again for your feedback.
Lakewood, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

We arrived at the hotel and the valet service was excellent. This hotel made you feel like you were a special guest. I loved the decor and they staff was so helpful. I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying at Fisherman's Wharf.

Room Tip: You will have to pay extra for a view, but that wasn't important to us. The room was great anyw...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

We recently spent five nights here and enjoyed it quite a bit. Normally, I'd never stay in touristy Fisherman's Wharf, but we drug our heels on reserving a place and didn't book until the night before we arrived. Other options were unavailable or outrageously expensive (even more outrageous than the $400 / night we spent here). I ended up booking this in quasi exasperation.

It ended up being a convenient location to walk to lots of things -- North Beach, Russian Hill, Cow Hollow, the Marina district, Fort Mason and, of course, FIsherman's Wharf. And you're right by a cable car stop and two blocks from the vintage street car stop that will take you to Union Square and all the way to the Castro if you'd like, so that made it very convenient.

There's free wine every night from 5-6 and it's exactly the quality of wine you'd expect for free. You have to pay $12 / day for a wi-fi connection which bugs me to no end. Why do budget hotels where you spend $60 / night offer free wi-fi while $400 / night places like this charge for wi-fi access? Heck, even a coffee house where I'm spending $2 give me free wi-fi.

The rooms are large and the beds quite comfortable. Rooms are quite handsomely decorated with a nautical theme that's not carried too far.

Others here complained about the staff, but I found all of them to be friendly. If you can afford it, this is a nice option.

Delaware
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

I don't know if I'm just becoming a hotel snob or what, but while I liked this hotel I didn't think it was "wow", or even as luxurious as other Kimpton properties I've stayed in. Location could not be better for easy access to public transportation, and easy walking distance to the Fishermans Wharf area. The doormen and bell hops were some of the nicest I've encountered - very friendly, prompt service, helpful with suggestions, and just all around wonderful assets to the property. Check in/out was quick and efficient, and our room was ready when we arrived. The lobby was nicely appointed and a nice place to hang out and people watch. Missed the wine reception, but water appeared to be served all day. Would have been a nice touch to add coffee as well. We had a king room with a view on the 3rd floor. The room was a bit small and the couch was so uncomfortable we didn't even sit on it, but had all the necessities. The bedding was very comfortable, although it would have been nice to have had a blanket in the room as the comforter was thin (sure they would have provided one if asked though). The view of the Golden Gate Bridge was less than spectacular - probably would not pay to upgrade to this if we returned. Had no problems with noise from neighbors or from outside. Everything was very clean and fresh, and the large pump bottles of shampoo, conditioner, and body wash were a nice touch. Took me some time to figure out that the hair dryer was hidden in plain sight, hung up in a bag next to the shower. Used the business center to print our boarding passes and was very pleased with the facilities. As great as all that was, I just didn't feel like the place was luxurious enough to justify the price (even for SF) and wasn't "wowed". That said, I would stay here again.