“Wonderful weekend getaway”

Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel
Ranked #11 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 1, 2012

We stayed here the weekend of February 24th. It was a wonderful stay. The staff were all amazing. At one point our remote control stopped working. Mentioned it at the front desk and within 10 minutes, someone was up there to fix it. The room was spacious, quiet, perfect. If/When we return to San Fran, it is our intention to stay here. Next visit we will bring the kids. We biked from the hotel (Blazing Saddles) to Golden Gate Bridge, on to Salisito and finsihed up at the Tiburon ferry. It was perfect. We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 29, 2012

Loved the hotel. Perfect location to visit the whole city. Room was very nice and I really enjoyed the wine at five!

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Arturmaks
Reviewed February 29, 2012

What a fantastic hotel. This isn't a big fancy city hotel and doesn't try to be. It feels like a botique hotel but does have a large number of rooms. From the moment we pulled up with our crew of 9 in our SUV we were treated like fond family that hadn't visited in a long time.

Steven greeted us at the curb and happily adopted our familiy. He found out it was our daughters 18th birthday and went out of his way to make her stay special. From finding 5 additional doormans helmets for a great picture with the kids in front of the fireplace to bringing my daughter a oversized candy bar for her birthday he was fantastic! My daughter made sure we were there in time to tell him good bye before his day off.

Ernie greeted us in the lobby and quickly removed the football from my 15 year olds hands and began throwning it back and forth in the lobby.....no the lobby isn't that big and I my automatice response was almost said "Hey, don't throw that in here!" Ernie went our of his way to point out things that our teenage boys might be interested in doing around the hotel.

We had prepaid reservations through American Airlines AAdvantage and there were no issues at all with check-in. It was quick, personable and attentive. We were even presented with breakfast vouchers that I didn't know we would receive for each morning of our stay. I did call ahead and requested that our rooms be in the same general area and the request was gladly received and honored.

The rooms were a great size for San Francisco and the one room we reserved specifically with a view had a GREAT view of the Hyde Street Cable Car turn table, the beach, bay, and Golden Gate Bridge.

Make sure not to miss Hot Chocolate around 2:00 Wine around 5:00 each day in the lobby.

The Martime Museum is located right of the lobby and directly across the street there are several vessels that are part of the Museum. A great deal of the Museum is free with a charge for entrance to the vessels. Our entire family got in totally free with my parents golden age passport. Our teenagers really enjoyed exploring the various vessels mored at the Hyde St. Pier.

Check out Norman's Ice Cream in the adjacent Cannery. AMAZING ice cream from a GREAT guy!

My only suggestions: Cream for in room coffee, the temperature in the lobby was cold, (had my parents along and they didn't enjoy visiting in the lobby due to the temperture which was really our only place to hang out with our group of 9).

Thanks to the staff at the Argonaut, for making our stay so enjoyable and memorable. I know it made a memory for our daughters 18th birthday.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Mark B
Reviewed February 28, 2012

Stayed two nights...

Wifey's idea to stay in this old, charming refurbished hotel...

Location is right in Fishermans' Wharf... easy access to tourist sites...

Room was spacious, tastefully decorated, and we liked the 'ocean-related' theme...

View from the room included Alcatraz Island...

Partook in a wine tasting session in the evening...

Fireplace in the lobby provided a cozy feeling...

Front staff friendly... wife told them that we were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary... and they invited us to choose a souvenir of our choice... wife selected the wine opener...

In conclusion, wife happy, husband happy too...

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HouseReefDiver
Reviewed February 27, 2012

We enjoyed our recent stay at argonaut hotel, check in and check out was efficient, room was comfortable and fun and the daily wine reception was nice. Hotel walls were a bit thin and we had loud neighbors! But otherwise it was good. Location was touristy.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Rebecca S
Reviewed February 27, 2012

We stayed for 5 nights over Christmas with our 5 year old twins, with my parents in an adjoining room. This Christmas was made special. It was fantastic from the moment we arrived, where the children were given gifts and made to feel special. The rooms were georgeous, just make sure you pay the extra for a larger room if your there for more than one or two nights. the bell boys/door man were great as we're the front office staff (except for on the last day).

Rooms were very clean and the staff very helpful in most cases through out our stay.

The extras. From the hot cocoa bar in the afternoon (boy were we in trouble when we missed it) to the wine tasting in the evening where we got to meet some interesting people this made the hotel special...which it is.....although didn't really like all the dogs everywhere but it was kept clean and was never an issue.

We had breakfast on Christmas day at the cafe attached to the restaurant. This was nice enough nothing special; But we walked out one evening and went across the road as we were ignored after being seated which is not cool when our trying to feed children we are explorers and wouldn't typically eat at a hotel but sometimes you have to do what you have to do with kids.

Room Tip: Try and get an upgrade to larger room if your there for more than 1 night.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank kirra99
Reviewed February 26, 2012

Preface: We are not high-brow, snotty travelers. This was supposed to be a luxury stay for us to celebrate a baby and anniversary that we could only afford with BA Miles. If I had enough money to pay for a room, I would still not have stayed here.

I really loved the look of this hotel after eating at it's adjacent Blue Mermaid restaurant. We thought "we can never afford this but would love to stay here one day". So for the weekend before valentine's day we used our BA miles and booked a night. The only available bay view room (of the golden gate, which was an awesome view-room 418) had two queen beds. However, these are SMALL! No kings were available for an upgrade. My husband and I actually slept in separate beds. He is 6'1" and it would not have worked for him. The beds were very uncomfortable, as well. Neither of us slept at all. The decor was great (our baby's room is nautical) but the queen beds are tiny and the room smelled really weird. I am pregnant and sensitive to smells, but my husband even agreed it smelled bad. So, other than the smells, here are the cons:

The check-in was so fast I thought they had missed something. Turns out, they did.

1. We signed up for the Kimpton rewards program before coming to get free wi-fi and the $10 mini bar credit. I had to catch a bellhop in the hall for the password and I just found a credit card charge 2 weeks later for $17.00 when we only took our $10 credit's worth of bottled water from the mini-bar. That was frustrating from such a fancy hotel. On check-out they said we did not have any charges, and I get home and find this on my bill.

2. I had also called ahead of time and asked that something nice be in our room for our anniversary and to celebrate our pregnancy. They forgot and the man's note I talked to was nowhere to be found. We had to wait over an hour for them to bring something up. We almost fell asleep waiting.

3. Word to the wise: The Blue Mermaid charges WAY more per item for room service and their in-dining prices are not accurate on the menu in the hotel room. Just get a to go order from the restaurant and save yourself the extra charges, cost, and tip.

4. I ACTUALLY SAW the valet back a car into another right in front of the hotel. There were no other cars around and no reason to get so close, but he did it. We had read reviews about this and this is true of the hotel. We parked at Ghirardelli Square thanks to other reviews, and it was $32/night instead of $46-47 which I think is what the hotel charges for wreckless driving. Their concierge was actually the best part of the trip and she gave us an easier, cheaper transportation option so we did not have to wait in the long line for the trolley. We left our car in the garage the whole night and it was fine. The garage takes cash and credit cards.

5. The cider/wine hour was set up late, after 5, so we had to wait an extra 15 minutes for the hot cider to come out which almost made us late for another event.

6. The room was lacking normal hotel amenities, like a basic shower cap, etc. That was sad to see for such and expensive place.

All in all, I would not recommend this hotel. Go stay at the Ritz or Fairmont or something comparable in price to this before paying for bad service. I really was disappointed in all of the front desk staff and the valet and cocktail hour staff. The concierge was the only pro.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a view if you must stay at this hotel. Room 418-around that area has Golden Gate and Ghir...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple