Preface: We are not high-brow, snotty travelers. This was supposed to be a luxury stay for us to celebrate a baby and anniversary that we could only afford with BA Miles. If I had enough money to pay for a room, I would still not have stayed here.
I really loved the look of this hotel after eating at it's adjacent Blue Mermaid restaurant. We thought "we can never afford this but would love to stay here one day". So for the weekend before valentine's day we used our BA miles and booked a night. The only available bay view room (of the golden gate, which was an awesome view-room 418) had two queen beds. However, these are SMALL! No kings were available for an upgrade. My husband and I actually slept in separate beds. He is 6'1" and it would not have worked for him. The beds were very uncomfortable, as well. Neither of us slept at all. The decor was great (our baby's room is nautical) but the queen beds are tiny and the room smelled really weird. I am pregnant and sensitive to smells, but my husband even agreed it smelled bad. So, other than the smells, here are the cons:
The check-in was so fast I thought they had missed something. Turns out, they did.
1. We signed up for the Kimpton rewards program before coming to get free wi-fi and the $10 mini bar credit. I had to catch a bellhop in the hall for the password and I just found a credit card charge 2 weeks later for $17.00 when we only took our $10 credit's worth of bottled water from the mini-bar. That was frustrating from such a fancy hotel. On check-out they said we did not have any charges, and I get home and find this on my bill.
2. I had also called ahead of time and asked that something nice be in our room for our anniversary and to celebrate our pregnancy. They forgot and the man's note I talked to was nowhere to be found. We had to wait over an hour for them to bring something up. We almost fell asleep waiting.
3. Word to the wise: The Blue Mermaid charges WAY more per item for room service and their in-dining prices are not accurate on the menu in the hotel room. Just get a to go order from the restaurant and save yourself the extra charges, cost, and tip.
4. I ACTUALLY SAW the valet back a car into another right in front of the hotel. There were no other cars around and no reason to get so close, but he did it. We had read reviews about this and this is true of the hotel. We parked at Ghirardelli Square thanks to other reviews, and it was $32/night instead of $46-47 which I think is what the hotel charges for wreckless driving. Their concierge was actually the best part of the trip and she gave us an easier, cheaper transportation option so we did not have to wait in the long line for the trolley. We left our car in the garage the whole night and it was fine. The garage takes cash and credit cards.
5. The cider/wine hour was set up late, after 5, so we had to wait an extra 15 minutes for the hot cider to come out which almost made us late for another event.
6. The room was lacking normal hotel amenities, like a basic shower cap, etc. That was sad to see for such and expensive place.
All in all, I would not recommend this hotel. Go stay at the Ritz or Fairmont or something comparable in price to this before paying for bad service. I really was disappointed in all of the front desk staff and the valet and cocktail hour staff. The concierge was the only pro.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco's most popular destination, the boutique Argonaut Hotel features breathtaking views of the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz Island. This luxury hotel is historically set in a former timber and brick warehouse across from the waterfront. With its exceptional service, its charming style and the adjacent family-friendly Blue Mermaid Chowder House, the Argonaut Hotel is an ideal spot to enjoy San Francisco. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kimpton San Francisco
- Argonaut Hotel San Francisco