“Like an upscale hospital room”

Club Quarters Hotel in San Francisco
Ranked #16 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed July 26, 2010

One of my friends used to work for a bank that had a contract with Club Quarters and thus, whenever he travelled for business he was forced to stay in one. He describes them as "corporate prisons" and now I know why.

It's not that there's anything WRONG with this hotel, per se. Yea, the rooms are on the small side, and there isn't much in the way of amenities although the free water and wi-fi are nice. But there just isn't anything RIGHT about the hotel either. The rooms really feel like a hospital room with carpet and a regular mattress. The bathrooms are especially hospital-room like with plain white tile and complete absence of character.

The walls definitely are paper thin, and the lifts are incredibly slow. The following must be true for you to enjoy a stay at Club Quarters:
1. Good rate (under $100 night)
2. You don't plan to use the room for anything but a place to sleep
3. You're not looking for any kind of concierge or guest service

It's pretty much everything self-serve here. This is the corporate equivalent of a youth hostel. MANY better choices in San Francisco and elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank SFO-World-Traveller
There are newer reviews for Club Quarters Hotel in San Francisco

Reviewed July 25, 2010

Great Value; right across the street from the Embarcadero Center with its movie theater and shops; easy access to so much in San Francisco. Rooms small and utilitarian, but great value, and neat, clean, orderly, and appear new. The next door pub has only average food for breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MarshBruce
Reviewed July 18, 2010

I purchased a four night stay at this hotel via Priceline. While I know that Priceline only guarantees a reservation for 2 adults, I was hoping our room would accomodate 3 adults and one child. The Embarcadero wasn't my first choice for a room because I thought it would not be family friendly. When we got a room with one queen bed and only one roll away bed allowed, I freaked out. How on earth would we fit in 4 of us? I thought I had made a huge mistake. It turned out alright though. The rollaway amply fit my daughter and granddaughter. The area was lovely. The nearby Port Authority had much lovelier shops and eating places than Fisherman's Wharf. Our little one enjoyed the fountain. I enjoyed the craftspeople who had many booths set out. The hotel was accomodating to our needs and was clean. We also enjoyed the 11th floor terrace.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank NoVaJan
Reviewed July 15, 2010

You are here because you are looking for a review, please consider mine. I just returned from my SF honeymoon tonight and this hotel ruined our entire view of the city. There was no room for our luggage on the floor in our room, there was no bath tub, and the shower was filthy. The bathroom looked like a airport restroom with a shower and when the door is shut you can still see the room thru the crack. The front desk staff were not very informative. Everything closes in the district at 6pm. The box tv was to small to even see. The photos online are deceiving. It honestly reminded me of a pay by the hour hotel for someone who was planning to pay for sex. Several airline professionals stay there, thats about it. It was about the size of a travel trailer. After seeing other reviews and people that paid between 75-95 per night, i feel ripped off for pay 117 per night and I pricelined it so I couldnt cancel it (my mistake) I am not a negative person but I could not wait to get home to write this review on any possible site I could in order to get the word out. Please keep searching. They put 2 beds together to make my king bed and i didnt realize it til I tried to cuddle up with my new husband. No ice or vending on any floor except the basement. Very cold feeling. I looked for things to do so we didnt have to go back and hang out. If you are looking for a place to lay your head for a few hours I suppose this could be alright but I intend on contacting priceline and do what I can to at least change the star rating or get this particular listing off the options.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mmmgodess25
Reviewed July 14, 2010

I thought the hotel was fine. Like other San Francisco hotels I've stayed in, the rooms are pretty small. But I did reserve the cheapest room they had. Overall my stay was good. But the community amenities in the hallway (like the ironing board) should be in the room. That was kind of strange. But the worst part of all is the internet speed. It's really the worst I've seen since dial-up. I can't blame the wifi signal either, because I also plugged in my network cable and it was still terrible. So if you're someone who needs to be connected or you're using the internet for business, look elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank bluline27
Reviewed July 9, 2010

We stayed for 4 nights at the end of June on a Hotwire stay and we really liked this hotel for 2 reasons 1) location 2) amenities. The hotel is located within 4 blocks of so many major attractions and also transportation; Chinatown, North Beach, the Ferry Building and the California Cable Cars and F-line are all very, very close. For us, the coffee maker, microwave and fridge in the room was priceless. We did stay for 2 nights in a smaller room and then 2 nights upgraded for a $25.00 fee for a 2 room suite, so the last 2 nights may have colored our rosy view of the place. The beds were very comfy and I appreciated the fluffy comforter in the cool climate. Also plenty of pillows in the hall closet.
I was very worried about the noise factor after reading all the poor reviews, but we must have lucked out with quiet neighbors because we only heard a door slam on our first night. This is propably not a 3 1/2 star hotel as rated on Hotwire, but it was just great for us - especially at the $72.00 base price.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank laketimeAZ
Reviewed June 30, 2010

I could hear conversations so clearly in the next room that I could've typed a transcript. The interior of the hotel, while there was nothing "wrong" with it, seemed way out of date (example - TV was not a flatscreen, bathroom reminded me of an airport that happened to have a shower). The hotel seemed to have a lot of flight attendants & pilots staying at it and did not seem as well suited to a leisure traveller. The lobby was nice and staff was pleasant and helpful. Free computers/internet in the lobby was also nice.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple