“Great hotel, location and amenities”

Club Quarters Hotel in San Francisco
Ranked #15 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed September 4, 2006

Club Quarters San Francisco is a great travellers hotel. The hotel is clean and modern. There is free high-speed internet access (you can bring your own lap top or there are computers downstairs in the common area.) The bed was extremely comfortable. The room was a bit small, but my fiancee and I are both over 6ft tall, and we never felt cramped or in each others way. Check-in was a breeze, and the staff was excellent. I actually saw one of the desk attendants walking a party from the hotel around the financial district to help them find a place to eat on labor day eve...talk about service!!! The room had a microwave, refrigerator and coffee maker. (I'm not sure if all do, so you may need to request.) In addition to all of this, there is a gym with some pretty decent equipment and a roof-top deck w/ somewhat restricted views of the bay.

I read some negative reviews about the location, and I'm not sure what those people are smoking. The hotel is about 3 blocks outside of North Beach. It is also about 5 blocks form market street, along which there is access to muni, bart, busses and ferries. In my opinion, that's a damn fine location.

Booked a last minute trip to San Francisco for labor day weekend. I am not sure of the exact price that was paid for the hotel as it was a package deal, but based upon my guesstimation and arithmatic, it was probably around $65-$75 per night....an absolute steal for this beautiful city.

• Stayed: September 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank jaypeaznuts

Reviewed August 24, 2006

I was very happy with the location, very close to china town and also to the embarcadero. We walked to dinner most nights in chinatown and little italy. I was a little worried when I saw the reviews saying that the rooms were small, I can tell that the people who wrote them never stayed in new york city hotels because our room was twice the size of the average hotel room in nyc. The room was clean and more than enough space for two people. I was also happy that we did not have the homeless people hanging out near the hotel like many of the other hotels had. I felt secure here.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
6  Thank 46red
Reviewed July 20, 2006

We stayed three days in San Francisco . It was the first time I visit that beautiful city with my boyfriend. We visit Fisherman Wharf, Cliff House, Planetarium, Mission Street, Downtown, Chinatown. It is a big city with so many places to go nearby. We visit Berkely, Oakland and Sausalito , too. We took also a Golden Bridge tour. We keep the Alcatraz tour for a second visit. We spent two night at the Hyatt Regency in Burlingame and one night at the Club Quarters. The first hotel is big and confortable with a beautiful view of the bay. The second is an ideal hotel at downtown, everything is near!!!! I strongly recommed these hotels, they are not expensive, 3 star hotels and extremely clean and comfortable.

Stayed: June 2006
1  Thank Nellrose
A TripAdvisor Member
Columbia, MD
Reviewed June 24, 2006

Club Quarters is a hotel chain that contracts with large companies for discount hotel stays during the week. On the weekends, they lift their "private club" restriction and allow other travellers to stay at relatively inexpensive rates.

We found that this Club Quarters, in San Francisco, is in the financial district - a great location for business travellers during the week, but on the weekend the entire neighborhod is completely dead. The hotel has no parking at all. Guests are instructed to park at a pay garage around the corner - for $28/day. So much for saving money on the hotel.

Our other complaint was that the walls are paper-thin. Other reviewers have mentioned that there seemed to be a party going on all night in the hallway, and this was definitely our experience. If you're looking for a party atmosphere at 2 am in a low-cost hotel, this is the place! But if you were hoping to get some sleep, you're out of luck. In addition to screaming, yelling, laughing, and slamming doors, we could also easily hear "normal" noises (tv, talking, flushing toilets) from the rooms on either side, above, and below us.

• Stayed: June 2006
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 29, 2006

CQ bills itself as a business hotel, and it is that, but nothing more. Most of the rooms are VERY small, with double beds, small bathrooms and only one hand-towel. We spent one night in a room that was more like a cell--its window looked out at a bare concrete wall just 3 feet away. And it reeked of tobacco! But the second night we were moved to a much larger room on the top floor, with great views, and no smell. On the holiday weekend we were there, most of the patrons were foreign tourists and youf couples. We had no issues with noice. Being in the financial district, there was always street parking available, which saves about $35/night.

• Stayed: May 2006
2  Thank Evanescent
Reviewed May 23, 2006

Stayed here April 30 - May 3 as a good alternative to the Hyatt down the street, where my meeting was located. The place is nice and the room is adequate for a single traveler. The savings averaged $50 per night over the Hyatt. However, the walls are so thin that you can hear the TV and the conversation of the people in the next room. Be sure that you like them, because you will hear everything that they have to say.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
4  Thank GAHighRoller
Reviewed May 22, 2006

I just got back from a trip to San Francisco and a stay at Club Quarters. I found the previous reviews to be very helpful. It was in a great location and the room was fine - clean and met our needs. I agree they were a little skimpy with the bathroom towels, but immediately brought up a couple more when I requested them. We had to find an blanket in the guest closet in the hallway (the bed only had the top sheet and bedspread on it) - which was fine; I just hope they clean those blankets regularly! The staff was easy to deal with and allowed us to have a late checkout, which we needed. The only real complaint I have is with the parking - parking is at the Embarcadero Center garage, which is fine, but expensive. Even with the parking expense, it was still cheaper to stay here than anywhere else downtown.
I didn't have any trouble with "thin" walls, but I travel with a white noise machine anyway since I'm a light sleeper. I also liked the free internet access - helped with getting directions to places outside of the city and just to check on a few things. All in all, I would defintely stay at Club Quarters again.

• Stayed: May 2006