“Just right for business travel”

Club Quarters Hotel in San Francisco
Ranked #15 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
River Falls, Wisconsin
“Just right for business travel”
Reviewed February 7, 2009

If you would rather open your own doors, carry your own bags, get your own extra blankets and pillows and store your own snacks and beverages in your room refrigerator, then this is the hotel for you. Because of the great price I spent a little extra on the kitchenette which consisted of a sink, fairly large refrigerator, microwave and plates, bowls and silverware. If you don't have time to shop for basic snacks and beverages, you can have the hotel shop for you for from a limited grocery list for a service charge of $2.50. A coffee maker, coffee, coffee mugs and real half-and-half were also provided.

The room itself was spacious and comfortable. The queen size bed had down pillows and a down comforter. Room climate was controlled by a thermostat control in the room. The window opened so I was able to let in some fresh air. There was a comfortable workstation with easy-to-access electircal outlets and a desk lamp. They even provided a couple dictionaries and books to read. The clock-radio had an easy-to-set alarm and even gave me the option of plugging in my iPod or other MP3 player (it was not a docking station, however).

The bathroom was small but very clean. It had just a shower stall with an adjustable height hand-held sprayer. A magnifying cosmetic mirror, hair dryer and basic amenities (shampoo, soap, mouthwash) were adequate.

There were 2 small nightstands with 2 drawers that were large enought for me to unpack my entire week's worth of clothes. There was also a padded hanger and standard wooden hangers in the closet. I personally don't iron, but for those who do, the ironing board and iron are located in a "guest closet" down the hall, along with extra blankets, pillows, coffee, creamer and sweetener.

There were also nice amenities in the hotel. The bottled water station was very convenient as was the coffee station in the club room just off the lobby. The club room was a comfortable spot to meet in the mornings before heading off to the office. If you don't want the standard hotel coffee, a Starbucks is right next door.
The front desk clerk, Peter, was very helpful in recommending restaraunts within walking distance. He suggested a French bistro, Jacks on Jaunte, which was fabulous!

One evening we had drinks at the attached Elephant & Castle. It was a nice pub and the prices were affordable.

Checkout was quick and easy via one of the three self-serve kiosks in the lobby.

I will definitely be staying at Club Quarters next time I'm in San Francisco on business. I would not stay here with family, however, as the rooms were really not large enough for more than one or two people.

• Liked — No frills
  • Disliked — the bathroom toiletries
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank knitwhit

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Truckee, California
Reviewed January 22, 2009

The Club Quarters makes the most of what they can offer.

I booked the hotel via priceline by bidding for a 3 1/2 star or higher hotel. This hotel is not equal to a Hyatt or Marriott. It is 3 star at best. It is very similar to a Hilton Garden Inn or Residence Inn. The bed was soft and a queen only. The sheets were normal to thin and only two pillows on the bed. The room was very small and the bathroom even smaller. The two towels provided were stratchy. Overall, it simply didn't match what I was expecting for a 3 1/2 star priceline hotel.

Everything was very clean and felt very fresh. However, the rooms are dated with small tub TVs, and older microwaves and frig. All was in great working order and again very clean.

Location: The hotel is in a nice location about 5 blocks from BART and across the street from Embarcadero 1 which is a nice outdoor shopping area that extends 4 blocks to Market . There are plenty of restraurants nearby including a starbucks right next door, a bar/pub attached, a Pete's coffee a block down, and a Chevy's a block away..

.Free Extras: The cllub quarters does go far to try to please. The staff was very friendly, the area past the entry/elevators is a nice comfortable gathering area with couches, fresh flowers, TV, and free coffee/tea. 3 computers with free internet are provided and wireless runs through the building for free. There are irons, extra blankets, and bottled water next to the elevators provided free of charge.

Families: The rooms are much too small to have more than 2 people in the room. They are ideally set for 1 person. However, the rooms were clearly larger rooms in a past life and it looks like many could be connected at the entry. So, a possible solution for families is to check on connecting rooms. For the price and location, this is likely the cheapest way in this part of SF to stay separated from the kids.

Overall, I truly can't recommend this hotel as our expectations were higher. We would definitely stay at the Hyatt Embarcadero over Club Quarters every time even if the price was twice as much. However, with Priceline picking the location, I didn't have that option. I would recommend club quarters for folks on a tight budget and want a great location in SF.

• Liked — Free internet access
  • Disliked — Too far from BART and very small rooms.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Fresno
Reviewed January 4, 2009

Staying here is like staying in an upscale college dorm. The ambiance is basic but with a nod toward the plush. It's obviously geared toward long-term business travelers. My one big concern was the bathroom. It was not up to a three-star standard. The ventilation system is almost nil. Worse yet, the gap between the bathroom door and the frame was ludicrously wide, offering little privacy in terms of noise and, ahem, odors. A real disappointment.

Stayed January 2009
San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 6, 2008

We just got back from a one-night stay at Club Quarters. Lots of pluses but one very big minus, which is why I didn't give it four stars. We Pricelined the room for a very good price, so didn't indicate any preferences. We apparently got a room on a smoking floor, which I didn't even know existed anymore in San Francisco, and after we left I felt like I had just smoked two packs of cigarettes! I know I should have asked to change rooms, but we weren't going to be spending much time in the room at all so I decided to suck it up. Anyway, if you don't like smoking rooms, be sure to ask for a non-smoking room because they do not do a good job of covering up the smoke smell.

That negative aside, I like the Club Quarters chain a lot. We have also stayed at a Club Quarters near Wall Street in New York. The rooms are small but functional. We like the Club Room, open to all guests, which has free coffee, tea, magazines, newspapers and internet. They also have a self-service laundry, which is very unusual, and a small but nice fitness center. The location is good for public transportation options. You can walk to BART, Muni, Chinatown, North Beach, Union Square, Embarcadero area and the financial district. It is primarily a business area, but tourists may enjoy it. I didn't particularly because I work in the area so felt like I was still at work. There is a movie theater showing independent and foreign movies across the street at the Embarcadero Center that is quite nice.

Stayed December 2008
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 27, 2008

This was my first stay at a Club Quarters hotel, and I chose it for its location at the Embarcadero area of San Francisco, which I find to be a terrific location for a base to explore the city. The hotel is quite nice. I found the bathroom to be surprisingly small for an American hotel, though.

They serve great coffee in the lobby in the morning, and there is free internet access in the lobby from a statinary computer they have.

Also, the hotel has no parking, so if you rent a car be prepared for very high parking rates at area garages. Generally, you don't need a car in San Francisco, necessarily, but I was on a business trip, and had to travel to the suburbs as well.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed November 10, 2008

My girlfireind and i just got back from a girls weekend at San Fransico. We had a great time.....our room was a kitchnette on the fifth floor. We asked for a quieter room in the hotel and i believe we ended up on the west side of the building. Every day we ran into our maid and she was very polite and asked us each day if we wanted our room done.....we were helping conserve water and put the do not need service door hanger on, but she wanted to make sure we were taken care of.....very polite and all other staff was very helpful in answering questions. I would stay there again....

• Liked — Center of everything that we were planning to see and tour
  • Disliked — No Exhaust fan in bathroom
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
San Jose, CA
Reviewed October 19, 2008

My wife and I live in the South Bay Area and attended a weekend wedding in SF (Oct'08).

For some reason there were alot of events in the the City that weekend and every hotel I tried was sold out. I then managed to book Hotwire for 3.5* hotel (plus it was a good price)... I got the Club Quarters hotel. I looked up CQ on Trip Advisor and after reading some of the reviews I was slightly nervous that the Wife would be angry at me for lack of romantic stay in SF.

I pre-warned my wife I wasn't able to book a super romantic hotel. I called CQ in advance and asked for quiet room as high up as possible. When we arrived the Clerk was very polite and gave us room 1105. Upon entering our room we were pleasantly surprised (helps to lower your expectations in advance). I think they upgraded us to a suite. We had views of City skyline and partial view of Bay. Queen bed, kitchenette, couch, etc. Nice breezes when the windows were open. Starbuck's next door made for easy mornings and kitchenette handy for some late night snacks. The hotel back corner we were in was very private and quiet and we enjoyed our weekend stay (especially for the <$200/weekend_night price I paid). The Wife is a tough customer but she actually really enjoyed her stay and said she would stay there again.

I found free parking pretty easily around the corner on the street (most SF hotels $30+/night for parking).

I think alot depends on the room you get. I got lucky (for a change). Overall, the hotel is not one of these swanky uber-hotels but it was clean and fairly new, the staff was always timely and courteous, and great location in Financial District.

• Liked — Good Value. No nonsense but nice.
  • Disliked — It sounds like some rooms are small and noisy.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business