Hostelling International- San Francisco/ Downtown
$225
$208
Hilton.com
  • Bar/Lounge
Omni San Francisco Hotel(San Francisco)
$418
$323
  • Room Service
$183
$209
$336
$222
  • Pool
Kimpton Buchanan(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$212
$197
Hotels.com
$220
$208
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel Zoe Fisherman's Wharf(San Francisco)
$310
$239
  • Restaurant
Fairmont San Francisco(San Francisco)
$401
$254
$279
$209
  • Room Service
All reviewsfree earplugsfree breakfastfemale dormprivate room with bathroombottom bunkmovie roombed dormhi hostelgreat locationunion squareusb portshomeless peoplepowell stationshared bathroomcommon areascentral locationstreet noise
Reviewed July 2, 2009

I stayed at "Room with private bathroom ( $ 99)". However, the room is too expensive for the services it offers - it is too under furnished and lacks basic furniture. This is unlike my earlier experience with Hi Hostels. I must share that neither the bed sheets nor the towels were changed in the room, and nobody even approached me to clean the room. However, the location is terrific, being in the heart of SFO Downtown, where the major shopping districts and other attractions like cable car and Chinatown are couple of blocks away. It is also a safe location, especially with lot of homeless people loitering around at Ellis st and other corners.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed June 12, 2009

The hostel is location right on the edge of the main downtown area with lots of transport links closeby, including the famous cable cars. There are plenty of facilities including the hostels own mini movie theatre (tv room!), pay internet, laundry etc. Staff are helpful and always on hand and the room (a private en-suite) was big and spacious with a very comfy bed. There is also a free basic breakfast.

On the downside the en-suite shower was pretty poor, but did the job, and there was a bit of noise from the busy street below (earplugs sorted that tho). The only other issue though was, as other's have mentioned, lots of homeless people all around near to the hostel.....however that said there are a lot of homeless people asking for money all across San Fran so it's something that you can't really avoid and we never experienced any issues or felt threatened - the hostel also has good security re who is allowed in the front door!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 9, 2009

My Girl Scout troop and several parents stayed at this hostel in May while we were in SF for the Golden Gate Bridging event. In all, our group was 30 people. If I was writing this review on MY experience alone, I would rate it much higher, but my group as a whole had mixed feelings. The rooms on the ends of the hallways are MUCH bigger than the rooms in the middle, and most have private bathrooms. They have big windows, views to the street and lots of fresh air. (I had one of these.) I didn't have to use the "hallway" bathroom that wasn't attached to a room, but other moms said it smelled like pee and the shower walls were slimy. The breakfast is not really enough to hold you until lunch, and if you want cream cheese, get there before 8 am! I thought the staff was very accomodating and patient--not an easy task with several troops of Girl Scouts running around your hostel. Overall, I think you get what you pay for, and at $29 per person per night, I think some of the parents expected too much. As for the neighborhood, I was there with 20 ten year-old girls getting back to the hostel every night after dark, and I NEVER felt unsafe, or worried about their safety. It is DOWNTOWN SF, so if you don't want to see homeless people or hear drunk people leaving the bars at night, this is not the place for you. My girls are from Long Beach, so they may have been more used to this kind of stuff than some other kids might be. It was an easy walk to the Cable Car station, BART station and several restaurants. Try Lori's Diner a couple doors down from the hostel. Despite the negatives, I do plan for my troop to stay at other Hostelling Int'l hostels in the future. If you just want a bed, a shower, and a bagel in the morning--whether for one person or a group of 30--this place is great, just don't expect too much. It IS a hostel, after all!

• Stayed: May 2009
Reviewed June 5, 2009

My colleague and I had a group of middle school students there for four nights. Despite the age difference with most of the other clientele, we were treated with great respect.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 28, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at SF Downtown over Memorial Day weekend. We stayed there on Friday night and then again on Sunday night. I was worried that it was going to be dirty and gross after reading the previous reviews, but surprisingly, it was great! It was probably the best hostel I've ever stayed in. We stayed in a mixed dorm room (2 sets of bunk beds - 4 people per room) and our room had a bathroom with a shower and a toilet in it. There was a sink and mirror in the room as well. Extra toilets and a shower were down the hall. There were a lot of people staying in the hostel on both nights, but it was quiet and I did not need to use the free earplugs that were given out at the front desk! The desk clerks were polite and friendly, but not overly friendly. The breakfast was decent (bagels, jam, jelly, butter, toast - you could buy fruit for a small fee).

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple