“Hipster hangout” 5 of 5 bubbles

Neighborhood: Mission District
Edinburgh
“Hipster hangout”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

I tried blue bottle and stumptown before four barrel and four barrel was definitely the best of the three. I had the same in all three - latte as they don't do flat whites in the states.

There can be fairly long queues but the service is good and there is plenty of time in the queue to soak up the cool vibe and look around the large space.

The latte had a good texture and was easy on tongue. No bitterness at all which is always a positive. It had a slight fruity taste but that could have been the passion fruit and chocolate donut that. It's the donut and other interesting treats along with the feel of the place that made me give four barrel 5 stars.

There isn't much seating which is surprising give the size of four barrel but I like the feeling of loft like space. And you can get bar style seating and watch them roast beans. There is also street seating.

There were folk in with laptops but I didn't check for wifi. I've heard they don't have any.

The location is good. Some people find the mission 'sketchy' but I found this part to be fine. There is street art at 16th and Valencia. The park isn't far and you should check out Tartine and Bi-rite creamery too.

• Visited October 2013

• Korean first
Dayton, Ohio
“Great Coffee, Great People”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

Four Barrel offers one of the best cups of coffee in San Francisco. If you're a gourmet coffee lover, you must stop by for a cup. The owners were also exceptionally friendly- willing to talk, not rushed, and they donate coffee to local elementary schools (for parents, not students). I would highly recommend a visit.

• Visited September 2013
Pleasanton, California
“fabulous and fun!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

a place to hang with friends in a fun-lively social setting and you will get an excellent cup if joe with great customer service. my critique is that i want savory food.

• Visited September 2013
Wilmington, NC
“Great atmosphere, great espresso”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

Visited SF recently for a family reunion and sampled a few of the espresso cafes. I am only interested in espresso so cannot comment on the other coffee choices. The shot of espresso was excellent and I was not disappointed. Loved the atmosphere of the shop and watched the roasting process in the back as I sipped my espresso. Will definitely come back.

• Visited August 2013
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Could be nice”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

Stopped in after as long day's walking. You only get one chance to make a good impression, and I'm afraid that's why I've scored For Barrels a 3.

I ordered a soya cappuccino, and the lady at the till mentioned they only stocked almond milk, not soya, and asked if that would be OK. I replied that that was OK, as long as it wasn't dairy milk, as I was intolerant. She confirmed my order, took payment, and when I collected my coffee from the barista, it had been made with dairy milk. It's such a basic request, that I'm afraid I can't look beyond it.

In their defence, I'll say the atmosphere was good, and - had they gotten my order right after checking three times - my rating would be different. Probably worth deciding for yourself, but maybe not worth a special trip.