“Fusion Chinese - Tastes good but not sure what it is”

Mission Chinese Food
Ranked #631 of 5,643 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Mission District
San Francisco, California
“Fusion Chinese - Tastes good but not sure what it is”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

The Lamb, the fried rice, the kung pao dishes were good. We went for lunch and we liked what we ate. In fact the sizzling lamb was really delicious and the fried rice was good but a tad bit salty to my liking. Good service -- better than at most Chinese places in SF. Don't go there for the ambiance -- go for the food and go somewhere else before for a drink and afterwards for dessert if you are not full which wil be hard

Visited April 2013
1 Thank belomiser

• Korean first
New York City, New York
“True mission of Chinese cuisine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

The restaurant is very very simple; from the review on the quality of the food, you could think that this is not the place-but yes, this little place is the ONE. There were 12 tables occupied, and 8 of them had Oriental customers. The four of us experienced a variety of dishes, and we enjoyed it all. You only need to be willing to embark on a culinary adventure. It is delicious chinese country food not delicate nouvelle cuisine. The cuisine is original and different with a very unusual and inventive use of herbs. You will not regret it!

2 Thank Noe12
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Not Worth the Wait”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

My wife had read about this restaurant a few months before our trip to San Francisco and wanted very much to try it. We went for lunch, but the menu is the same at lunch and dinner. I am glad that we went at lunchtime, because I don't think I would like to walk around that neighborhood at night. We had to step over the vagrants to get from our car to the restaurant. We knew that we would have to wait in line, so our 30-minute wait was not an issue. The tables are not just near each other, but they are next to each other. We had a party of 6 next to us on one side and two parties of 2 on the other. We could easily hear - and join in - each others' conversations. The service was very slow and perfunctory, but I admit they were busy. My wife had soup with very few pieces of beef. I had the lamb cheeks and tofu. The sauce was very spicy, and I really enjoyed the sauce; however, there was a lot of tofu, and the pieces of meat were almost nonexistent! The best things that I can say are that it was not terribly expensive and, best of all, each party was given a large carafe of water on the table. We shall not return. If you wish to try it, I suggest that you have your food delivered.

2 Thank Hawaii-Biker
Warren, RI
“Eh”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

My wife and I got delivery of this hyped-up Chinese food on 5/12/13 and were both disappointed. As far as Chinese food goes, this was on the expensive side and not very satisfying.

I had the General Tso's Veal Rib. While there was certainly some tasty bites in there, overall it wasn't that great. There was a lot of fat in the dish and it does not come with rice or anything on the side. I wish I had known that because my entire meal was just a big hunk of meat. (Yes, I could have taken a closer study of the menu and realized this, but I figured for 18 bucks it would include rice).

My wife had Thrice Cooked Bacon. I had a few bites and while the bacon was pretty good, overall the meal was very spicy. Again, it did not come with rice which made it difficult to eat since it was so spicy. I should note that my wife is Korean and is used to eating spicy food and still found this dish on the spicy side.

Finally, they did not deliver any utensils or napkins with the meal which was annoying since we were staying in a hotel and didn't have any readily available.

3 Thank William Y
1,034 restaurant reviews
“If You Like Chinese Food, You Will Like This Place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

Ignore the tourists and bridge and tunnel folks who are bashing this place in other reviews here. If you don't like your food spicy or if you prefer your "Chinese" deep fried and covered in a sweet artificially coloured gel, then this is probably not the place for you and maybe you are better off at PF Changs in Walnut Creek or wherever it is you come from.

But, if you like challenging food that alters your perceptions of what Chinese food is supposed to be, then you are MCF kind of people. I've been to China many times and many of these dishes would be welcome there. In many ways, this food is a fusion of regional Chinese and French techniques.

And you know that spice the B&T folks are complaining about that numbs their toungues? It's called Szechuan Peppercorn and millions of southern China peeps as well as great American chefs use it to take their food to the next level.

The bathrooms was run down and disgusting, however. That needs to be fixed.

2 Thank Alzor S