“Great French Restaurant near Union Square”
Review of Bouche

Bouche
Reserve with OpenTable
Bouche is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #118 of 5,801 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Union Square
Cross street: Stockton
Transit: BART: Montgomery St. BART Station CABLE CAR: Powell Street & Bush Street MUNI: Market Street & Stockton Street
Reviewed April 16, 2014

We went to Bouche for dinner on a Monday evening.

Service: 4/5

Our waiter was appropriately attentive and friendly. Can't ask for much more than that.

Food: 4/5

We had a lamb dish and a pork chop - both were very tasty. Not the best either of us had ever had at similarly-priced French restaurants elsewhere, but both dishes were excellent.

Value: 3/5

Dinner for two with wine, tax, and tip came to $116. You don't come here for a budget meal, and we thought this was in line with our expectations (not too high, not too low).

Atmosphere: 4/5

The restaurant is nondescript from the street and very cozy inside. There are only a few tables downstairs and a small "loft"-like area with some more tables. It can't seat more than two dozen people at a time from the looks of it. It was a nice temperature inside and, because of the limited number of people inside, doesn't get too loud. Lighting is at a good level.

Romance: 3/5

While I gave "Atmosphere" a 4/5, the restaurant's physical size means you are pretty close to the other patrons. We could hear almost every word the people sitting next to us were saying.

Special Occasions: 4/5

If your party is small we thought this would be a great place to have a nice dinner with wine.

Overall we really enjoyed Bouche. The apple cider was particularly tasty.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

Both food and service were wonderful! My husband and ate there our last night in San Francisco. I had the sole and he had the pork chop, a side of the crab mashed potatoes and followed by the custard and chocolate banana tart. One of the best meals while we were in the city.

Reviewed March 27, 2014

A charming French bistro, but with slow service and very modest portions. A scallop appetizer came with a loneley little scallop.

1  Thank valuer
Reviewed March 22, 2014

After a long, delayed day of travel my friend finally arrived in San Francisco. I'd found a few places earlier in the day - unfortunately they were all closing/closed. One of the bartenders suggested Bouche. Walked right and sat at the bar - with the bonus of watching the open kitchen. Initially planning just to have a cocktail, we ended up ordering a couple appetizers for sharing - I'm glad we did. Steak Tartar was delicious, Scallops were cooked perfectly and the Mashed Potatoes with Crab were pure heaven. Service was friendly and timely. A great way to start our San Francisco Trip.

Reviewed March 20, 2014

I ate here during a trip to San Francisco in December. We had a lovely, lovely dinner. I lived in France, and this felt like a classic Parisienne small restaurant. There were only a few tables in the place, but several cooks and servers. The food was a bit salty, but outstanding overall (I had sweetbreads and a vegetable napoleon). The server was very knowledgeable about French wine, and made some great recommendations. I would not come here with a group of more than 6 people, but for couples or groups of 4, it is wonderful.