“Nice atmosphere with good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Bouche

Bouche
Reserve with OpenTable
Bouche is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #172 of 5,645 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Union Square
Cross street: Stockton
Transit: BART: Montgomery St. BART Station CABLE CAR: Powell Street & Bush Street MUNI: Market Street & Stockton Street
Madison, Wi, Usa
“Nice atmosphere with good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

Good food and cozy place to get together. I had their special octopus appetizer and the lamb shank for dinner. Both were delicious. Environment is dim so it makes it cozy but it also makes it difficult to read the menu. Tables were closed together. You can dine downstairs (street level) or upstairs. Upstairs space is cute and quiet. I recommend making reservations, sit upstairs and ask for their specials. As for wine pairing, if you like sweet and fruity wines, you are out of luck. Waiter said, "...as they say in France, the French brings sweetness to the wine. " Enjoy. I will definitely be back.

• Visited February 2013

• Korean first
Seattle, Washington
“Lovely, intimate spot”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

We had an octopus starter that was great. On to the main courses, shared side of polenta was really top notch. Unfortunately, my veal blade was overcooked to the point of being dry and mealy. Apparently it was cooked sous vide and finished in a pan, and the server told me that it is "less rich because it is a less fatty cut". That may be the case, and I appreciate that it is more difficult to get it "right". It just happened that they didn't get it quite right. They offered to refire the dish, and it ended up taking so long that my wife had already long finished her dish before the replacement came (another server even tried to clear away my clean silverware assuming that we were both finished). No apologies offered, no dessert, we high tailed it out of there (through the throngs of other patrons, and people outside waiting to get in).

• Visited February 2013
Prescott, AZ
“Ooh la la”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

Tiny place, but oh, the food. From the potato leek soup with bacon onward, everything we had was a hit. The place is small and a bit noisy, but we went for the food and were not disappointed. It's very very French and fabulous without being pretentious at all. Nettle pesto? Oh yeah.

“Charming atmosphere but limited menu”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

Booked a table for 2 for an anniversary dinner based on earlier reviews touting Bouche's romantic atmosphere. Bouche certainly delivers a charming and intimate bistro experience. And the wine selection was nicely varied. Alas, the menu was a bit one dimensional. Everything was either cream based, starch or protein...tasty but very heavy and very rich. There were no "greens" to be had anywhere on the menu. Even with the side dishes, it was all potato or creamy based options. We would have welcomed a few lighter options to compliment and balance the heavy flavor profiles. As it was, I could not finish my meal much less entertain the idea of dessert. I would check for possible changes to the menu before considering a return visit.

• Visited January 2013
Santa Cruz, California
“Anniversary Dinner near Union Square”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

Only a short 5 minute walk from Union Square, this quaint little restaurant was exactly what we were looking for. The cheese plate featuring three very palatable cheeses was larger than expected and a fantastic start to our meal. The scallop carpaccio arrived just as we were finishing our cheese plate and once again the portion size was not disappointing. I enjoyed the carpaccio however the diced fruits used were not quite ripe and didn't add to the dish. I had the veal special and my fiance had the lamb shoulder. The sauce and vegetables stole the show on my plate with the large cut of veal slightly overcooked and under seasoned. The broccoli puree and rustic carrots is something that I would go back and order on its own. The lamb shoulder was cooked to perfection and the adjoining sauce was a vibrant lift to a dish that could have easily been far too heavy. I think that we will both order the lamb when we return. A $15 corkage fee is more than reasonable for this part of the city so we brought our own wine.

Visited January 2013