“Absolutely delightful, historical Inn that provides many comforts.”

Inn at the Presidio
Ranked #2 of 72 San Francisco B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

Wonderfully peaceful setting in the heart of San Francisco. The rooms are spacious and many have a balcony and/or fireplace. Evening wine and cheese reception as well as the breakfast spread is a treat. We took advantage of the outdoor patio and fire pit several nights. Trailhead access to nice hike with pretty, city views. Would recommend rooms towards the back of the property to avoid moderate traffic noise or guests going in and out of the front door.

• Stayed: January 2014
There are newer reviews for Inn at the Presidio

Reviewed February 1, 2014

Fantastic position, fantastic room, very helpful staff and wonderful breakfast. Bikes to rent and great advice on where to visit and when as well as booking. Would really recommend this, out of town but that makes it very relaxing and special. Suitable for children. There is a very regular bus into town. Nice to experience life outside of the hustle and bustle of the city. Less than 10 minutes to chinatown. Outside fire. Nice tracks to walk and views of the golden gate bridge. Close to museums as well. Definitely stay here again and would recommend it.

Room Tip: If travelling with children, get a room with a double bed and a sofa bed. Sofa bed very comfortable...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 29, 2014

We checked into the Inn after a couple of weeks travelling a night earlier than we had planned to. We were so thrilled we did! The rooms were really well furnished and spacious, the breakfast was yum! All the staff we met were friendly, helpful and kind. The wine, cheese and nibbles each night was a lovely touch and on our first night although we had missed this, the staff gave us a couple of wines for our room and milk and cookies for our children. All amongst the beautiful city of San Francisco... Would love to come back one day. The staff even contacted us after we had left to let us know we'd left some clothes behind - they also kindly agreed to give these to a charity for us x thanks so much for an amazing stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 29, 2014

We visited this inn not too long after they opened in 2013, and had a terrible experience. I've been meaning to write this review ever since. Perhaps they were still working out kinks at the time, but the follow up (or lack there of) is what has annoyed me the most.

We splurged to stay at this hotel for two nights, over a weekend. We tried to reserve a normal room, but they upgraded us to a suite, which was nice. However, the receptionist said that we'd have to switch rooms for the second night, and explained that it was very hard to figure out who to put in which room, that it was like a "tetris puzzle". Not a problem, we don't mind being flexible.

Our suite was absolutely lovely, the bed was comfortable, and the bathroom amazing. The free apps & wine was a nice touch. The breakfast was "light" but fine.

The second day, it was extremely complicated to switch rooms. We were initially told that we could leave our bags in our room and that they would be moved for us. However, when I went to check on this I was told that no, we had to bring our bags to the front desk and leave them there. Ultimately, after a total headache, we ended up in a room directly across the hall from where we were the first night.

The following morning at 6 am, were awakened by a banging on the room door. I groggily walked out to the sitting room, and was shocked when the door flew open. Apparently housekeeping wanted to clean our room at 6am. When the cleaner saw me, she closed the door and left. I was appalled. When I later asked the front desk about it, she said that the people across the hall had checked out, and only been there one night, and that the cleaner had accidently come to our room instead. This also begs the question as to why we had to move, why couldn't the other couple had been in (our second) room for their only night, and we could have stayed where we were? Very disorganized.

The worst part of this whole ordeal was the follow up. I got a survey asking about our stay. I filled it out. Terry Haney, GM of the hotel, emailed me to apologize and offer me a complimentary two night stay, so that they could make it up to us. He said that since I live on the East Coast, it may not make sense, but he wanted to extend the offer.

I have contacted him TWICE to redeem this offer, and neither time I received a response of any type.

Perhaps they have worked out the kinks with the room organization & cleaning.... but I am still very UNIMPRESSED with Terry's lack of follow up to his offer. There is no excuse for that.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Trevler22
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We stayed two nights at the Inn at the Presidio in early November. The location is beautiful and we had wonderful, warm weather. The property is clean, charming, and has beautiful views. We stayed in a standard queen room so we didn't have a view over the bridge but the room was still very nice, the staff was helpful and kind, breakfast was just right and the wine and cheese was a good segue from day to evening.
Our timing was not too good though. The Disney Museum is open Wednesday through Monday so we were able to enjoy that -- it's amazing. However, the NPS Visitor Center is open Thursday to Sunday so we missed it. We were able to see Andy Goldsworthy's "Spire" and "Wood Line" but not "Tree Fall" since it's open on the weekends (there are private tours other days -- they preferred Thursday though.)
We took both of the free PresidiGo shuttles so that we could see most of the Park. And we stopped at the Palace of the Legion of Honor. With more time we would have taken the shuttle which goes downtown.
Parking is extremely easy and reasonable, especially with the free shuttles, the hotel car which is available to guests, bicycles, and the many walking and hiking trails.
This was a quick and relaxing getaway from our Bay Area home.

Room Tip: If you want a spectacular view be sure to ask when making your reservation.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We came back to the Inn at the Presidio for our wedding anniversary this year. It continues to be a very special place! If you would enjoy a splendid view of the bay, the gentle sound of fog horns at night, walking out the door into the Golden Gate National Recreation Area and superb service, this is the hotel for you.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 31, 2013

I spent one night at this hotel on Dec. 23rd, 2013. It is a charming hotel. I had a large suite on the first floor. The furniture and hardwood floors were beautiful. The bathroom was updated, too. I had a lovely sitting room. When we arrived they provided us with cheese, fruit & crackers. Very nice after a long trip! The bed was King size and very comfortable. Bathrobes were provided, if needed. They had a fire pit on the patio to munch on the cheese & crackers. Also, breakfast was included. They provided fresh pastries, cereal, coffee, tea and juice. I found the staff to be friendly and professional. I did not find this place to be noisy. This was part of my Christmas gift to stay here my first night in San Francisco after my 6 hour plane trip. I do not know the price for my room. I would stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 131 on the first floor.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family