“Monika's the best...her love and passion for the City by the Bay is amazing.”

San Francisco Journeys
Ranked #124 of 284 Tours in San Francisco
More attraction details
Owner description: Not the usual sightseeing tours but rather diverse urban journeys led by a very experienced, knowledgeable guide who’s been leading tours since 1989. Tours feature the beauty and uniqueness that is San Francisco through its picturesque cityscapes and its public art, parks and gardens, an array of architectural styles, local landmarks, film locations, movie theatres, historical streetcars, cable cars and much more. Your guide, Monika, leads visitors, residents and natives alike on fun and insightful urban excursions through the streets of San Francisco. Her presentations are engaging, comprehensive, witty and historically accurate.
New York City, New York
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Monika's the best...her love and passion for the City by the Bay is amazing.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

My husband and I went on the Part I tour with Monika in March of 2014. The reason we did this tour (other than the fact that it had received rave reviews) was because we were moving out of the country and wanted a very special SF-esque experience before our departure. The day of our tour, we met up with Monika punctually (Monika's attention to detail and time is admirable- something my husband very much appreciated given that he is very timely/punctual himself) and she informed us that we were the only two people scheduled for that day. My husband and I were so touched that Monika proceeded to lead the tour for just the two of us- it was incredibly kind of her and very thoughtful.
In full disclosure, I am a native San Franciscan who left the city for approx. 10 years to live on the East Coast before returning back to the Bay Area in 2009. But as a native, I've often taken this beautiful city for granted and have not invested the time to know more about its history. Monika's knowledge of SF history is incredible. She is passionate about San Francisco and it shows in her words, her eyes, her tours!
I won't go into detail in my review about where we visited because that is all documented on Monika's website. I encourage any person who goes on the tour to read Monika's website in detail- it will really enhance your experience with her and it is clear that she has taken a lot of time and invested a lot of energy into writing the content of the site.
If you want to experience SF with a person who loves the city and from whom you can learn a lot, please look no further- Monika is your lady! I believe she mentioned that she is writing a book...I can't wait to read it and take another tour with her in the future!
Thanks again Monika for a wonderful time- my husband and I sincerely appreciated the time you took to spend with us and teach us about the City by the Bay :).

Visited March 2014
2 Thank AJS515

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Informative and Entertaining!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

San Francisco is an amazing city with a lot to offer. It can be very overwhelming to choose what to do and see when visiting. I am very glad I was able to hook up with Monika. Without a doubt, Monika's tour was the most comprehensive and entertaining tour in all my vacation experiences. Going on an all-day tour might sound arduous, but the time flew by. I think it was because the tour flowed so well. I appreciated how Monika wove in opportunities to rest tired feet by taking advantage of public transportation. Monika offers something for everyone on the tour. History buffs will be especially enthralled. There wasn't a question Monika couldn't answer. Her knowledge base about San Francisco history is amazing. She should write a book! While the walking/cable car tour I attended hit tourist attractions such as Fisherman's Wharf, it wasn't fluff. Monika's tour was full of substantive information and anecdotes that made old San Francisco come alive. I highly recommend Monika's tour. It was really worth the money because I got to experience so much of the city in a condensed amount of time. You will learn, laugh, and be amazed at the beauty and history of the San Francisco you get to know through Monika's eyes. Wear comfortable shoes!

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Linda S
SFTourLady, Owner at San Francisco Journeys, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Thank you very much for your exuberant comments. I'm so glad you enjoyed the touring day I designed for your visit to San Francisco. You were a pleasure to tour with and I hope your memories of the "city by the Bay" are long-lasting and bring you back for another visit. As much as we saw, there's still more to see and enjoy.

Your comment that I should write a book is very prescient.as I've just begun announcing the upcoming publication of my new book although it's not about touring the city, at least not directly. My website has more information about that book and other tours.
Oakland, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Wonderful Day with Monica”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

I highly recommend this tour. Monica shares her wealth of knowledge and love of this city in a fun and energetic manor. I took tour 1 covering SF from 1906 earthquake/fire to present and look forward to joining her for part 2. lots of walking mixed with use of publics transportation. Choice of restaurants for lunch. I have learned so much about this wonderful city. This is a day long event, comfortable shoes and layers are needed.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank wendy l
Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“San Francisco Journeys with Monika Trobits--Outstanding!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

Monika really hustles, and she takes you through the city, hopping on and off street cars, buses and a cable car. She is well grounded in city history, mores, and the various neighborhoods, providing pictures in vital places showing how things were at various times in the city's evolution. She has done firsthand research, and it clearly shows. I believe I saw more in a day than most people, and walking is the way to go! We traversed various neighborhoods, went into buildings, and had many opportunities to take marvelous photographs. We started at 9 a.m. and continued until about 5:30 p.m. or 6 o'clock, so it was an all-day tour, and well worth the money. The various sights, coupled with her narration, make this an unforgettable tour!

Visited September 2013
Monika T, Owner at San Francisco Journeys, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
I'm so glad that you enjoyed the tour experience, Annette, especially since you traveled cross country to visit San Francisco and the Bay Area. It's always a pleasure to lead a tour for individuals who are truly interested in learning about San Francisco and visiting its various neighborhoods. While it was indeed a full-day tour and we did cover a lot of ground, it wasn't quite as long as you remember. We didn't begin until 9:30 and we ended just after 5 so it was a full day but more importantly, a good day. I do hope you enjoyed the rest of your visit to the city and the area.
San Rafael, California
“Monika was fabulous!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

All the work Monika puts into her research truly shows and we saw more in a day than I thought was possible. I am a Bay Area native and I took the tour with a friend from out of state, and we both learned so much about the early days of SF. I recommend San Francsco Journeys for anyone who wants to see the city from the historical perspective and travel across the city to see the sites worth seeing. I would not hesitate to recommend this trip to friends and family.

Visited September 2013