“My best restaurant experience ever”

State Bird Provisions
Ranked #53 of 5,769 Restaurants in San Francisco
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Temporarily closed due to renovations. Visit us in the meantime at our sister restaurant right next door, The Progress, and look for our reopening in early September!
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Subtly situated on Fillmore street San Francisco we discovered the best restaurant we have ever eaten in (no exaggeration). The first night we stumbled across it we thought it was a cooking school with a light shining onto the street with chefs in the window and no sign above the door. It was hiding. We decided to take a closer look and it was full to bursting with diners. There were people waiting by the door for a last minute walk in table, quite happy as the girl on the door is so welcoming and cheerful, and sorts you out with drinks to pass the time. We came back the following day, less hungry and prepared for a wait, as it was obviously worth it! We arrived at 9pm, and were seated at 9.50. I don't want to give to much away as the novel idea of waitressing and enjoying the food is all part of the experience. You feel like you're being let in on a little secret. The atmosphere is fun and relaxed. The interior is modern and understated. The food is divine. I have eaten in a michelin star restaurant, and honestly I would say this food is equal in innovation, flavour and overall enjoyment. We were just sad that there isn't another one in London.

1  Thank ChevsL
There are newer reviews for State Bird Provisions

Reviewed February 10, 2014

This is definitely not a place for leisurely fine dining, The food was interesting and creative but, in my view, overrated. The seats are either wooden benches or hard chairs. The atmosphere is full of buzz. Think western dim sum in a crowded, noisey environment not the type of dim sum atmosphere at high end Hong Kong restaurants. An interesting experience but there are far better choices in the city.

Reviewed February 7, 2014

My friend offered to queue up at 16:30 in order to get in before restaurant opens at 17:30. The menu is limited, but the dim sum carte is very creative and the best way to sample, some of our favorites: pork belly in Vietnamese sauce, trout taboulis, fried Brussels sprouts with bonito flakes. We ate a lot and the combination of flavor in small portions is heavenly for foodies !

Reviewed February 5, 2014

Great food but again more of a place to be seen and brag that you've been to. Reservations were crazy to get and there are other fine restaurants in the area. Awesome creative great tasting food. Glad we went but won't plan that far in advance for dinner and wait for a table. If you plan that far in advance to eat, then it's a great spot but on vacation and don't make reservations 2 months in advance then probably not gonna get in. $$$$

Reviewed February 1, 2014

It is hard to believe that I enjoyed a 20 course dinner and was not stuffed to the gills. The occasion was my 75th birthday with family and friends. We reserved an alcove table for eight and then sat back and enjoyed. I mean, how could YOU decide which of 20 courses to choose from? The joy of group dinning is that there is NO choice. Just sit down and have them ALL served to you. It was in perhaps a slightly hurried manner but that's a lot of food to get through in the scheduled two hours (took close to three). So many of the dishes were such magnificent blends that I know I could not imagine these flavor combinations. My only complaint is that, compared to all of the previous dishes, the deserts were a little weak. Tasty nevertheless but they had quite a bit of competition in the memorable category. I'd go back in an instant.

1  Thank dmdobkin