“So Different, You Gotta Try to Get In!”

State Bird Provisions
Ranked #52 of 5,854 Restaurants in San Francisco
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Temporarily closed due to renovations. Visit us in the meantime at our sister restaurant right next door, The Progress, and look for our reopening in early September!
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We read about a 60 day wait for reservations, so we decided to try to get in when it opened. We went at 5:25 on a Tuesday and was 2nd in line. We were seated right away and loved it! We tried most everything and it was delicious. It was a great atmosphere and the staff friendly. Definitely worth it!!

Reviewed February 14, 2013

We managed to secure a reservation last Saturday evening at 5:30 for a party of four. There was a long line outside, but at about 5:25, those with reservations were queued into a different line and we were seated very promptly. We tried just about everything that came our way, and everyone was blown away. The food is really really difficult to describe, sort of an ethereal myriad of tasty delights. I hope this place can continue hitting on all cylinders.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

This is one place where I have to say, DO believe the hype! Stand in that line -it's totally worth it! Actually, you might, just might, be able to avoid the wait, if you get there on a weekday and are willing to take one of the standing counter spaces and eat your dinner standing. We did just that and were actually pretty happy we did, because we got first dibs on all the surprise off-the-menu tapas, and got to socialize with the chefs for a more lively experience.

The staff seems to genuinely love their job, and the chef is brilliant. I won't even bother to describe the menu, because if you go there next week it will probably be all different, and half the stuff isn't even on the menu. Just rest assured that whatever it will be, every morsel will be delicious.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Got there an hour early to stand in line as we couldn't get a reservation (almost impossible to get). We were first in line. When they opened we were seated immediately. The people are super friendly and helpful. The concept, a kind of American dim sum as well as ordering off the menu worked very well. Some of the dishes were to die for, some good. The wine was excellent. For me, however, it is very noisy and kind of industrial, I found I couldn't really relax, like trying to eat in the middle of a busy street. I know this doesn't matter to a lot of folks, but I find I like a place where you can have a quiet meal in a relaxing atmosphere to be as important as the food. I can, however, see why some folks are crazy for this place. I here the owners are getting ready to open another restaurant behind this one. I'm hoping it will be more my kind of atmosphere.

1  Thank CoffeeGurl
Reviewed February 10, 2013

This was a great dining experience. The waitstaff was so helpful. My husband and I tried many dishes, and all were delicious. The dishes were all different from one another but all made up for a great dinner. I will definitely return when I visit San Francisco again.