“great food & vibe”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Hong Kong, China
“great food & vibe”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I loved dining at this restaurant. I didn't have a reservation which meant that I needed to show up at 5pm to line up in case there was room. In the end we had our meal standing up but it was very worth it. We were at the table right by the door but at least where we saw the entire kitchen plating everything...the food was awesome and what I liked most which elevated my dining experience was the enthusiasm and knowledge of the staff. It really makes a difference. I loved everything from start to finish. Highly recommend!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
“Worth the effort to get a table”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

My partner and I were visiting San Francisco and we thought this was the perfect dinner to round off our time in such a culturally special city. Such a unique dining experience, one that really adds to all things good about san fran. We didnt havea booking so, after some research, arrived to line up at 5.15pm. This didnt get us seats in the first sitting, but got us seats in the second sitting, starting ~8.30pm, depending on when tables became available. This ended up being perfect as it meant we could go out for a spot of shopping and a few drinks beforehand. There are some nice shops and bars up Fillmore st.
Dont worry too much about dressing up, not a snobby place at all. Staff were so friendly, so knowledgeable, and so enthusiastic about the restaurant.
Just go, you'll enjoy yourself.

Wiltshire
“Not to be missed, if you can get in”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

This small restaurant (note you have to book months ahead, or queue EARLY) borrows the Asian concept of passing dim sum carts to serve an eclectic mix of small dishes... Out of about 20 offered, I think the four of us declined only one, and this format seems infinitely preferable to the now ubiquitous 8-15 course set menus a lot of chefs are offering. Excellent service, innovative concept, and absolutely delicious.

Davis, California
“Delicious but terrifying”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Everything we ate at State Bird was delicious, right down to the sauv. blanc and Blue Bottle french press coffee.

Our problem was that at age 64, we were 30 years older than any one in the place. And that was a problem only because we couldn't hear a thing, including the description of the food as the waiters came by with their assortment of small dishes, very like dim sum but with California cuisine. I would have dashed for the door, but we had a gift certificate.

Here's a tip: make reservations if at all possible. If that's not possible, get in line at 5:15pm. They don't open until 5:30, but you have a shot at getting a seat if you're early enough. Otherwise, we were there at 5:30 and had to come back at 8.

Here's another tip: it's very easy to overeat and over spend. Order one "pancake," the beef salad or another choice off the menu, and then stop at two small plates. Desserts aren't really that good, so maybe skip them.

1 Thank kathy W
Arlington, Virginia
“Ambivalent...”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We visited this place based on Bon Appetit's top ten best new restaurants guide. Overall, everything was good, if not amazing and what I guess I had been expecting was to be amazed. The server came over and explained how the menu worked; a hybrid of dim-sum style offerings which are displayed table-side by passing food carts and a "commendables" menu.

The burrata dish served with a sort of phyllo-pastry was especially good, though most of the dishes could have used a touch more finishing salt. My personal favorite was one of the "pancake" dishes, a play on an everything bagel with smoked sturgeon and creme fraiche. The pancake itself was dense and unseasoned, but I liked the rest of the dish; the sturgeon was fantastic. My least favorite (sadly) was the steak tartare, which consisted almost predominantly of bitter greens and was topped with a few pieces of steak. When paying $8 for a tapas-size steak tartare, I expect it to consist mostly of steak not lettuce.

I found the meal to be average, but not a destination. With as much variety as SF has to offer, I think this place is still figuring out its kinks. Our server was knowledgeable, especially with regard to pairing wine, but I felt like we barely saw him except at the beginning and the end of our meal. But for me, the real miss was the fact that after spending about 1.5 hours and $300 for four people, our server not so subtly let us know that they needed the table back and dropped the check on us without offering either coffee or dessert. I don't consider $85/person a cheap meal by any means and I found this unexpected (and slightly jarring) at that price point. This left me with a sour taste in my mouth, especially since we had sat for 10 minutes after we were done with our savory plates, while servers kept coming by and offering us more things. After declining the third plate, I would assume they would understand we were ready for sweets. It felt like the food was being auctioned off (and understandably so, since any hot food would have a short shelf life). I began to feel like a customer rather than a guest. I understand the shtick they're aiming for, but after about an hour, it started to feel gimicky. Would I recommend it to a local? Yes. But as I said before, I don't consider this a destination dinner.