“Fantastic food”

State Bird Provisions
Ranked #52 of 5,854 Restaurants in San Francisco
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Temporarily closed due to renovations. Visit us in the meantime at our sister restaurant right next door, The Progress, and look for our reopening in early September!
Reviewed December 10, 2012

We went here last weekend on recommendation of Trip Advisor, and someone we met in the taxi queue at our hotel.

Quite simply this has to be one of the best dining experiences I have had, as I love tapas/sushi type dining. There is a small menu of pancakes and a few other delicious bits and bobs, and then about 10-15 small plates of beautiful food that are brought to you by the chefs who have cooked them, and you can decide whether you want to take them or not (they come with a specific price tag). The best advice we were given was 'pace yourself'!!!.

All the dishes that came round were amazing, and i'd definitely recommend the 'mt. tam, bacon, date & persimmon ‘shortstack’ '. Overall as well it wasn't that expensive for the quality of food you get - $150 including wine for 2.

Bookings are full until some time in February I think, however they have a number of seats by the chefs (in my mind the best seats!) that are open for walk-ins. The restaurant opens at 17:30 and we got there and joined the queue at 17:10 and were the last people to get a table.

Highly recommended.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

I've been all around the world eating my way through various cuisines. I've seen concepts that were different, some worked and some didn't. When I heard about SBP, I had no idea that I would have my mind blown like this. I've been about 10 times by now and I can't stop. I'm lucky enough to live in SF, so it's in my backyard. Once you enter and you can see how happy all the staff is, you know you are in for a real treat. LIttle trays come by, hand held by the glorious wait staff and are explained beautifully. Everytime it's a surprise! Beef Tartar with homemade chips, Burrata, Quail eggs and so much more. THEN, the cart comes by with even more choices. You can choose from the cart or off the menu. Everyone works as a team & you never feel ignored or over waited. The World Peace dessert is the best thing I've ever had. You must go to find out what it is!

Reviewed November 19, 2012

Things were just ok. Better out there. Didn't like not knowing what was there to eat. I dont think I would return.

1  Thank Carr C
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I dined here before the BA #1 ranking. What an innovative, unpretentious, cutting-edge food experience. Savory pancakes sums it up. This place is so out-side the box, you have to experience it for yourself. Ever grateful to Larry Stone for his recommendation! The most fun and disarming component of service is the dim-sum style pupu presentation... just when you think you can't eat another morsel, here comes the cart and it's over. You're trying something else. Hoping to get in weekend of 12-8/9-12... Cross fingers!

Reviewed November 14, 2012

Visited as a solo diner on my last night in the city. No reservations available, so I showed up at 5:15, they open at 5:30, and there were already 13 folks in line. A few had reservations but most early folks were walk-ins. There are 10 places at the counter and I lucked out and got the 8th spot. A lot of fun even dining alone because you get to chat with your neighbors at the counter and even do some sharing of dishes if you hit it off. You do need to pace your self, there are alot of small dishes to choose and the price can add up especially dining alone. The sweet corn short stack pancakes were my favorite, served with an incredible sauce. CA state bird with provisions also scrumptious. A number of sea food small plates were fabulous and for dessert the plum ice cream sandwich was divine. Nice wine selections and a great wait staff made the entire experience. Reservations are available on line two months out but need to be made the day the calendar opens. Otherwise show up about 5 pm and wait until they open at 5:30. You won't be disappointed.

1  Thank usma81