WINNER WONDERLAND

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Fisherman’s Wharf
Cross street: Between Polk and Larkin
Transit: Muni #'s 30, 19, 47 and 49.
Beverley, United Kingdom
“WOW - eat here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

We (2 very hungry families including two 14 yr old children) stumbled across this place just before their closing time (9.30pm) after an evening visit to Alcatraz. We entered and asked the waitress if we could still get served (there was only one other family in there who had just been served their meal) and we were very happily told that they would stay open to serve us. Well, we order a number of different dishes to share and the food was fantastic. After being served the chef (and owner) came out to speak to us to see if we enjoyed the meal - he stayed with us until 11pm gave us lots of free wine and we had the best night of our 2 week holiday. If you can, visit this place ,it really is fantastic - great food, great wine, great staff, great atmosphere and great value.

• Visited August 2013

San Francisco, California
“Come here with an appetite”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

We live in North Beach, SF and decided to have lunch at Latin Grill Express after watching some of the practice runs by the boats running in the America's Cup races. LGE is located across from Ghirardelli Square and just enough away from the tourist trap restaurant area of Fisherman's Wharf, but close enough for tourists to check out if they want a less hectic pace and a different kind of food than they'd find on the Wharf area.
My wife and I both love Latin food and were excited to find yuca fries on the menu. We started with that as our appetizer. The portion was just right for 2 and they were cooked perfectly. Not too greasy, crispy and a buttery smooth texture like yuca fries should have. Then for our entees, my wife had the Lechon con FuFu and I ordered the Arroz Chaufa con Chorizo.
The Lechon con FuFu was a good sized portion, enough for 2 and the pork was very moist and tender. The seasoning was just right. I'd never tasted Plantain Mash before and it was just sweet enough and had a nice texture. Nothing great, but not bad either. My Arroz Chaufa portion was huge. Easily enough for 4 people. The menu says it is 'spicy' but if that meant to warn you it is hot, it isn't. In fact for me it could have used a little more spice for flavoring. It was good though and cooked just right cosidering it had small bay shrimp (just slightly overcooked), tasty Chorizo slices, calamari rings and chicken in it. We went on a Saturday afternoon and left just as their afternoon entretainment was setting up for a 2pm show. I am assuming it is latin music. Will check that out next time we go. I want to try the Ropa Vieja next time and an empanada. Overall, prices are fine for the quantity and quality of food. We had 2 sodas, one appetizer and our entrees with tax for about $41. (and I'm getting 3 mores meals out of the leftovers I took home due to the large portions) The restaurant is nothing fancy - clean with lots of artwork on the walls.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“"small (tapas) plates " so big, easy to share.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

great arepas, arroz con pollo, mango salad, Cuban sandwich. Too full to try the flan despite 2 walking tours earlier in the day. friendly service, good value, big portions.

“Excellent food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

Found this place on the web and walked to it by chance. Fantastic food great staff! No one had anything but good things to say- fish tacos were superb!

Canada
“Great find!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

Found this place through www.opentable.com. Big fan of Cuban food so I knew that I had to come try since I was visiting San Francisco for the weekend. Food was great with large portions for being tapas! Wished we had other people with us so we could try more food! Loved the energy and vibe of the place. Friendly and fun. Great service, wonderful food, strong sangria. A fantastic time out!

• Visited September 2012